New laptop, new SSD, old brain…

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 1 2014 11:27 PM

I'm anxious to get Logos 5 up and running, but… good things happen to those who wait I've found.  Should I go for the instant gratification and clone my 5200 RPM stock drive later?  Or… should I get the SSD up and running before intsalling Logos 5?  I don't know how to do this and don't have an adapter cable at my disposal right now, either.  Where can I get the education I need to get this job done right? Also, where do I find the Logos 5 installer.  I'd also like to find the benchmark program I used previously after discussing such things with others on this site.  Anyone know what performance benchmark is popularly discussed here on this forum?

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 12:32 AM

Hello Michael

You can use the EaseUS Todo Backup software it is a free program, to backup and then Clone your HDD. You will need an usb interface adapter cable, it should not cost that much meaning only a few $$.

Note after you have the Clone of your HDD on the SDD you will need to set the partition active on the SDD. Also you should make a recovery disk DVD to be used after replacing the HDD with the SSD.

I replaced my HDD with a SDD using the above. Create Recovery DVD, make a backup if you don’t have one. Clone the HDD, set it active, replace the HDD with your new SDD.

If you had Logos on the HDD you will not need to reinstall.

I use Bench32 and CrystalDiskInfo for benchmark & checking the SDD.

You may also check this post >  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/79362/561623.aspx#561623

Logos installation link  http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

this should get you started.

Lee

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 6:37 AM

Thank you, Lee.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 8:19 AM

You are welcome I just saw that I had a typo SDD instead of SSD, I guess maybe I was not fully awake.

anyway good luck and enjoy the new computer & Logos.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:31 PM

I'm getting close, I think.  I have my new SSD in an Apricorn enclosure and connected to my computer via USB 3.0 connection.  EZ Gig cloning software at the ready.  Do I fire away onto one partition, or should I create another partition, or two? Where do I best learn how to do this?

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:39 PM

Forgot to mention, my drive is a 240gb SanDisk Extreme.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:46 PM

SSD has 228,937 MB of available space.  Laptop hard drive usage is about 55gb.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:50 PM

Windows 8 OS

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2014 12:48 AM

Hello Michael

It is your choice to make one or two partitions.

I have two partitions on my 256GB SSD but the reason I made a second partition was I had two clone both of old C & D partition because MS Office was installed one the second partition and I did not want reinstall it.

But if your old system only has a C drive, then I would keep the SSD also only one partition.

As far as Windows 8 I can't help you with that. Other than as I said before backup your data and then make a recovery DVD. after you partition and clone the old HDD you need to set the SSD as active partition. You also may need to Boot from the Recovery DVD and transfer the OS both files to the new SSD then reboot from the SSD only.

I hope this is a help. It is what I did for my system.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:01 PM

Got it going and things are flying smoothly.  Thanks again, Lee.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:12 PM

Good to hear, enjoy michael

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS