The Philistines, Logos Publishing Major Excavation Reports - First up Biblical Ekron

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 4 2014 7:32 PM

Friends, wanted to inform you of a new venue for Logos if you have not noticed. 

The Philistines are one of the most amazing cultures mentioned in the Old Testament. They are one of the few movements in the Ancient Near East that changed the course of the world. With close to 300 references in the biblical text about them—beginning with Genesis—understanding their culture becomes mandatory for any serious teaching of the Bible, and for the study of history in general. With Logos taking on the challenge of publishing the actual cumulative site reports of major biblical excavations, one has the unique opportunity to explore first hand data and form one’s own conclusions on the evidence presented, this is fantastic.

A book like the Tel Miqne-Ekron Excavations (a prepublication special and the first in a series to come) offers a unique, firsthand look into the infiltration and occupation of the Philistines into Israelite territories.  Since the Philistines only occupied the site of Tel Miqne (biblical Ekron), their evolution and assimilation into Israel can be closely studied. This volume and the others to follow, opens the door into a fascinating look at their impact—not only in Israel but also in surrounding cultures--addressing questions that one can research such as: “Where did they come from?” “How did they live?” “How and what did they worship” “What were their gods like?”

Consider this; archaeology is the only “science” contributing any new information to the study of the biblical text. It therefore becomes an indispensable tool/resource for individuals with a desire to comprehend what is actually going on in the biblical text. This is especially true with the 15 years of excavations at Ekron now being made available in a digital format for in-depth study. The excavations at Ekron have changed the definition of the word Philistine (the modern name Palestine is derived from this word). While the word itself is defined as one who has no culture or is unsophisticated, based on archaeological and historical findings we now know it’s just the opposite. Tel Miqne-Ekron Excavations provides a realistic picture of ancient civilizations, with detailed descriptions and actual drawings from the archaeologists of what was found. Included also are significant diagrams, illustrative reconstructions, and many first hand photos and drawings of not only their material culture (cult items, every day wares, etc., which cannot be obtained from other sources) but the actual occupational structures in which they lived and worshiped (which can no longer be seen today).

Now, with Logos 5, these pictures, diagrams and reconstructions can be brought into a PowerPoint slide presentation to visually give a picture illustrating what can only otherwise be imagined. These combined resources (books like these and Logos 5) are a great resource for any pastor and teacher in bringing the biblical text to life. As the saying goes…”a picture is worth a thousand words.” For this writer, one great illustration is worth (at least in most cases) the price of any book. 

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 7:48 PM

welcome to the forums. Smile

If you are trying to promote a book, it would be helpful to provide a link. Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 8:01 PM

alabama24:
provide a link. Wink

LINK

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 8:36 PM

The Book by Sy Gitin and other renown archaeologist all the major experts in this fiedl, can be found at https://www.logos.com/product/36472/tel-miqneh-ekron-excavations

and don't forget the major journal coming out from the American Schools of Oriental Research, another gold mind of information, and illustrations at pre-pub price at 

https://www.logos.com/product/38021/biblical-archaeologist-near-eastern-archaeology

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:31 PM

Daniel Warner:
Consider this; archaeology is the only “science” contributing any new information to the study of the biblical text

Thanks for the post, Daniel!  Made me go and check to make sure I'm pre-pub'd on the journals. Whew.

Your quote's a pretty tall order. Kind of left out all the other sciences?  Hope you're not offended but some of us are 'scientific' text-analyses fan-girls!

OT-ish: Just got an email from A-Company on the same topic but definitely not the depth that Logos is now developing. This is exciting!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 4:48 AM

Thanks for the glowing endorsements Daniel.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:37 AM

Denise, thanks for the note, I just might be a tad overzealous for what I do Cool For sure not diminishing the other forms of studies, I teach the languages as well. Archaeology has produced the vast majority of materials even for textual studies, as I am sure all know, and the list goes on. My focus was to alert all to what Logos is developing, not only for some great tools but also of course a great price with this pre-pub special, one can at least try their hand at a site report if they have never used one before. As well, I should confess Sy is a good friend of mine, which of course does figure into the mix. For sure, the journals, great stuff, and don’t forget to look at the other set BASOR https://www.logos.com/product/38111/bulletin-of-the-american-schools-of-oriental-research more technical but again loaded with info both textual and archaeological if one is not familiar with these titles. 

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 7:38 AM

Thank you for the follow-up, Daniel. It's clear you're energized (and we should be too!).  

I doubt you've the time to pursue this question, but off-chance, it'd be helpful.  We live out in Arizona, and read archaeological bulletins assiduously (since we can basically hike everywhere and it's like being miniature archaeologists, always leaving everything alone).

But why would one want to pre-pub a specific site (in Palestine)?  I'm not arguing 'not'.  Just wondering the benefit, absent scholastic / professional use.

(Archaeologists success is only a function of textual-analysis laziness in learning high-end computing ... witness Google newest forays).

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:19 AM

Searchable data, critical, if all archaeologist could put their materials in one place, doing research would be so great, esp. when comparing structures, pottery which is of course the key tool used in dating strata, etc. this is such a great help, now with digital format, one does not have to pull down all the research tools and lay them out on their desk, makes such a mess, so I am all for this type of materials, been after Logos for 10 years, in fact I  brought Logos over to Israel this summer to speak to all the Israel arch boys at the American Schools of Oriental Research of which Sy Gitin just stepped down as head,  to get their materials with them, since most publish in such a limited circle, with Logos exposure others can now see what is available  and it does help the archaeologist so they can make some monies, publications is expensive as you all know, shot answerSmile

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:22 AM

Hopefully from what I have outlined is coming, more great publications should be on there way, illustrating, illuminating what we read, I am excited, 

Posts 9
Daniel Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:26 AM

(Archaeologists success is only a function of textual-analysis laziness in learning high-end computing ... witness Google newest forays).

Archaeologist say just the opposite, as you can imagine, Bill Dever's books who is from the Univ. of AR by the way, many scholars trained from that school in arch, say's all text need to be based upon what is actually there, of course we don't all things, lets split it. 

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:28 AM

Daniel, I'm guessing your students and professional associates enjoy your enthusiasm; Logosians certainly will. And thank you for the followup. I missed the other pre-pub journal, so I signed up to that too!

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 10:38 AM

Thanks, Daniel! Somehow I never saw anything about this! I'm in!

Charlene

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS