Bid now or lose out ...

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 3:55 PM

Todd Phillips:

DAL:
With Todd's post I'm starting to have second thoughts about it.  

To be fair, Carson is positive for about 6 of the volumes, including the ones by Moffatt himself.

Don't try to fix it, 6 volumes is not enough...LOL...Geeked

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 8:28 PM

Denise:

What amazes me is that (literally) millions of people go to the same church every week to learn what they already agree with.  Makes a lot more sense to go to churches that you don't agree with ... crystalizes your thinking.

Touché. However, that has not always been my experience with my congregations. Big Smile

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 10:52 PM

Denise

But if we only go to a church because they speak something that we don't agree with it can also be bad.

Gal 1:8  But even if we or an angel from heaven should proclaim a gospel to you contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let him be accursed!

We also must test the massage. Hold to what is true.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 991
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 4:47 AM

Denise:

What amazes me is that (literally) millions of people go to the same church every week to learn what they already agree with.  Makes a lot more sense to go to churches that you don't agree with ... crystallizes your thinking.

But more seriously, so many pastors seem to also fall into the trap of teaching what they believe to be true.  How can their congregation crystallize their thinking?

LOL - nicely done!!!   I did warn you that I might be odd though!!!! Seriously, if I only read books where I thought that I would never be challenged by something I was not happy with, regardless of how well written the book was, there are very few books (or forum posts!) that I would read.

Thanks for the personal views on Moffatt's writings everyone, very useful.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 5:54 AM

Pass

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:02 AM

I was in for this earlier, but after reading the review, I'm going to pass on this as well. Please enjoy it if you are getting it though.

Cheers.

ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 12:12 PM

It's down another dollar with chance to fall further. 

Posts 2330
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 1:30 PM

It's not displaying correctly so I can't place a bid on it. Hopefuly someone can fix it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 6653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 1:39 PM

I went for the Moody Commentary offered on Vyrso instead.  It's more up-to-date and it covers the whole Bible.  Who knows, maybe if this commentary gets the Logos treatment someday, we might be automatically upgraded to the Logos edition Wink.  Moffatt is a classic, but I would much rather have his Bible translation than his commentaries (yes, I know, the commentaries have his translation but is not the same).

DAL

Edit: Oh boy, I kind of felt guilty cancelling this one so I re-placed my order again for the sake of the 6 volumes that didn't get a bad review from Carson; especially now that it is at $19.  Maybe if we salivate enough we might get it down to $18, right Denise? Stick out tongue 

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2014 7:49 PM

For what it's worth, I really appreciate Mounce's commentary on Revelation, and he quotes Martin Kiddle's commentary frequently. So, I'm looking forward to having Kiddle as well as the commentaries by Moffatt.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 117
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 11:11 AM

Down to the wire. Speak now or ........

Posts 6653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 12:11 PM

Moffatt's Commentary are now $149.95 for those that might want it now at pre-pub price.  It might go up $25 bucks more after it gets out of pre-pub.  I think $19 bucks was a great price to pay on CP whether it becomes useful or not.

DAL

Posts 10449
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 12:41 PM

DAL, looks like the saliva test went pretty well. If I remember right, pre-salivating it was $24 I think.

I sure hope there's no exegetic fallicies in it, after Carson gave it the seal of approval (relative to his pans).

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 12:55 PM

DAL:
I think $19 bucks was a great price to pay on CP

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 10:08 AM

Denise:

DAL, looks like the saliva test went pretty well. If I remember right, pre-salivating it was $24 I think.

I sure hope there's no exegetic fallicies in it, after Carson gave it the seal of approval (relative to his pans).

Yes Denise, the saliva test went well, but we were still one spit away from $18, but it's ok, since the 1st Corinthians volume will be added for free whenever this series downloads to our computer.  That volume alone is $20.95, so it turned out just fine. Smile

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 8:37 AM

I am not sure you will get 1 Corinthians for free.  I don't believe anyone from Logos has stated that is the case.  I expect dynamic pricing to occur but I did not read free into Ray Deck's comment.  Maybe I missed something.

DAL:

Denise:

Yes Denise, the saliva test went well, but we were still one spit away from $18, but it's ok, since the 1st Corinthians volume will be added for free whenever this series downloads to our computer.  That volume alone is $20.95, so it turned out just fine. Smile

Posts 625
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 10:53 AM

RayDeck3:

That's correct. The 1 Corinthians volume will be added once the rest of the set has cleared community pricing.

I certainly understood the above quote to mean that the 1 Cor volume would be added once the set cleared community pricing and went to pre-pub. But as the volume hasn't yet been added, could someone from Logos please confirm?

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:34 PM

Yes it will be added to the set,  but I would not expect it to be free unless they state it explicitly that it will be free for those who purchase it before it goes live.  My expectation is there would be a small dynamic price to pay, just like every other commentary set which Logos updates as new volumes are added to sets. If they do add it for free happy days, but if my expectation is correct then you ate setting up yourself for disappointment.  I hope I am wrong.

Stephen Steele:

RayDeck3:

That's correct. The 1 Corinthians volume will be added once the rest of the set has cleared community pricing.

I certainly understood the above quote to mean that the 1 Cor volume would be added once the set cleared community pricing and went to pre-pub. But as the volume hasn't yet been added, could someone from Logos please confirm?

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS