Would this be the order?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1871
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:47 PM

Logos claims WBC is one of the top three commentary series.  My question is: Would this be the order and the top three commentary series?

1.  NICOT/NT

2. Hermeneia (or Anchor)

3.  WBC

I'm test driving the WBC.  At first the format threw me off a little to the point it was a real turn off, but after taking my time and ignoring the Biography entries at the beginning (looking at them only when needed), ignoring (sometimes) the notes, and jumping straight to the "verse by verse" commentary and "explanation" it seems that the series has some solid material for academic or personal studies.  Is not so hard to follow anymore.  I may end up keeping it.  I went for it since I received a great price for the Nelson's Reference Bundle which includes WBC along with other decent resources.  My plan after this, is to someday own NICOT/NT and complete PNTC and BECNT whenever the remainder volumes become available.  I think with those I should be pretty much well covered on the OT and NT and will allow me to have a more well rounded library.

Anyway, your input will be well received.

DAL

Posts 1703
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:53 PM

Based on "bestselling" commentary sets (not sure if this is the right measure!) on the Logos website, it's these:

Posts 4027
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:55 PM

Paul-C:
Based on "bestselling" commentary sets (not sure if this is the right measure!) on the Logos website, it's these:

I would think that the "best" would not be defined by "bestselling" but maybe I'm wrong.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1871
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 3:03 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Paul-C:

I would think that the "best" would not be defined by "bestselling" but maybe I'm wrong.

The way they say it in the video presentation for WBC it comes across as saying "Top Three" technical or scholar commentary series.

DAL

Posts 3320
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 3:36 PM

Try the Best Commentary site

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 1871
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 4:24 PM

steve clark:

Thanks! I'm impressed.  It is a very good series after all.  I still have 25 days to continue testing it.  I wish the Acts volume was out, though.  I have placed my pre-pub order on it and the other OT books that have been revised.

DAL

Posts 1263
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 5:09 PM

WBC has been one of the best commentary deals in Logos for a while, even if it is not as cheap as it once was.  It is reasonably complete, and generally solid.  You have to learn where to find things with its format, but after a bit, the way they do things makes sense.  Theologically it would be generally conservatively critical, with a bias toward Anglo-American Evangelicalism.  This means that many critical scholars view it as too "evangelical", and many evangelicals view it as too "critical".

Like all sets, the quality does vary, but it has no real clunkers like Anchor did (they are being replaced).  It does have some unique perspectives in some books, but a huge plus is the Bibliographies for each section.  Of course, these are only as up to date as the volume is, but it gives you a good start at looking things up for yourself.

Top 3?  It depends on what you are looking for.  But it does a lot well.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 2159
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 9:54 PM

Of course, the top commentaries would a matter of opinion.  For me, WBC would be second to only the NICOT/NT.  But the Pillar Commentaries are excellent, too.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1243
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 11:41 PM

I would not place WBC in my top three, but then again - my list is also slightly slanted toward commentaries that I tend to agree with most. Smile

However, it still is pretty solid and I still get lots of use out of the series. My top three commentary sets (that cover most of the NT & OT) would be: NAC, UBS Handbooks, and NICOT/NT.

Posts 1577
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 1 2014 6:19 AM

I assume You are excluding more devotional commentaries such as Interpretation (I have 3 volumes) and commentaries that are not in Bible Study software such as OTL/NTL (I have I, II & III John by Judith M. Lieu as printed matter and it's really good).

Almost all of the sets in the below list are almost equally good as sets:

• Eerdmans Critical Commentary volumes on GJn and introduction to 1-3 Jn. I'm not gonna get more of the current offers, but I will wait and see what other volumes are released in the future and consider them if they complement what I have (cover books in a different way, or on books which I want to study and don't have sufficiently covered at this moment).
  • Anchor Yale Bible Commentary NT (which I bought at a sale in Accordance). Really worthwhile volumes are for example: Mk (2 vols., the volume on chapters 1-8 is expensive though especially as hardcover), Gal, Philemon - get it as printed matter if not in Bible Study software (there may be better, much thicker, commentaries on this book alone in other sets, but how much do You want to read on this brief book of the Bible?), and Jas. (One of the things I like about this set, is that it usually doesn't put random books of the Bible together in a volume like many other commentaries do: such as Col/Phlm. Btw I'm going to use the Col volume.)
  • UBS Handbooks NT (which I bought used in Accordance for $115 incl. license transfer fee) and Upgrade (in Logos)
  • Hermeneia and Continental Commentaries incl. Upgrade 3 and Luke 2: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke 9:51–19:27 but not Upgrade 2 (1 Enoch 2 chapters 37-82 and Ps 101-150).
  • Paideia Commentaries on the New Testament (I have 5 volumes: the newest ones + Ro)
  • ICC (I have 2 volumes and they are very useful and contain so much valuable things). But since I know You are looking for cost-effective solutions these may not appeal to You. (One of the volumes I have was on a Feb. 2014 sale: 2 Cor 1-7 by Thrall. It was 10% off, reg. price is $49.95.)
  • The Gospel of John: A Commentary by Frederick Dale Bruner. This is a "low-budget" alternative if You don't have access to Anchor as it cites the Anchor volume on Jn by Brown a lot. But keep in mind that this commentary focuses on historical interpretation and not the latest even though it's quite new. This is not actually a set. The author has also written a commentary on Mt but I haven't had a look at it.

Despite the price (none of them were the regular price except ICC) all of these were worth it, I don't regret them and I feel good about the purchases. I have two volumes as printed matter as well: Paideia Ro and Hermeneia Mt 8-20. One of the ICC volumes I have only as printed matter (Is 44:24-55:13).

I don't want any WBC volumes since they are evangelical and a bit conservative. I have taken NAC on a test drive earlier on but was not pleased with it and returned it.

Additional interesting sets include:
The Church’s Bible (4 vols.) (doesn't qualify if You require technical commentaries)
Baker NTC (HK) (somewhat conservative, some of the volumes are not that old, complements/balances other sets nicely). I don't have BECNT and would not want it even if it was cheaper. Since I have Baker NTC (HK) I would not invest in many more Evangelical or Reformed commentaries.

Out of the thicker individual volumes that I have, I should mention Berit Olam Genesis by D. W. Cotter.

Also, there's one monograph which is so good that I have to mention it: Richard Bauckham (1999). James. New Testament Readings. Routledge. It can cost a whole lot but luckily enough I got my copy cheap about two years ago. Not available in Bible Study software, but has been suggested in the Suggestions subforum and in the Logos Anglican Faithlife community.
Additionally regarding printed matter, I'm going to get volume 11 of New Interpreter's Bible Commentary as printed matter, it covers 2 Cor-Phlm. Reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Interpreters-Bible-J-Paul-Sampley/dp/0687278244/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393682215&sr=1-1&keywords=New+Interpreter%27s+Bible+Commentary+11 ... I would have use for it for 2 Cor 8-13 (mostly 8-9, I think 10-13 are the least important chapters in 2 Cor), and Eph. And it would work as an introductory level commentary to 2 Cor 1-7 to complement the technical ICC and the Reformed Baker NTC volumes that I have.

Don't forget to conduct Cited By searches in Your library or collections You've/You create(d).

Today I opened a 1-year-fixed $1,500 savings account and I'm going to put the money into it on Tuesday March 18., I'm going to save for a car with a top-speed of 20 MPH and be very restrictive about book purchases.

~1,480 incl print. trulyergonomic.com
8GB tabl
laptops 8GB: late'12 EliteBook W8.1 4threads HDD; '12Q1 HP 1366*768 15.6" '13 hybrdisk; '09 4GB 11.9" '12 SSD
desktops: '09 8GB W8.1 Core2Quad Q9300 HDD; '06 3GB Pentium D

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS