How can I automate downloading new resources, installing them, and indexing?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
tjluoma | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2014 10:24 AM

My biggest frustration with Logos is that it seems like I am always being interrupted to download some update and then let Logos re-index itself.

What I would like is to find a way to automate the process, so that every night at (for example) 3:00 a.m., Logos will launch itself, check for any updates, download them, apply them, and update its index.

I'm fairly fluent in automating apps on the Mac, but Logos isn't using standard Mac UI buttons for things like "Update Now" so I'm not sure if Keyboard Maestro will be able to trigger them reliably.

Then I thought there might already be a way to do this that I don't know about, so I thought I should ask before I reinvent a solution.

Posts 1986
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 10:33 AM

In your "Settings," you can do exactly this. I have my updates to download nightly at 1:00 AM. On Windows, there's a toolbar icon that will appear letting me know that a download will happen that night. When I see that, I close Logos when I'm done for the evening so that resources can be updated and indexing completed before I return.

That will not handle program version upgrades, as far as I've experienced. Those need to be explicitly initiated once the download has happened.

Donnie

Posts 24536
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 10:54 AM

Hi Donnie

Donnie Hale:
When I see that, I close Logos when I'm done for the evening so that resources can be updated and indexing completed before I return.

Last time I tried this the download happened but incorporating into the library and indexing needed manual intervention.

Has this changed?

Graham 

Posts 1137
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 11:40 AM

If that works all you would really need to script is loading logos eg. at midnight to do the indexing and then assume the index will take less than 30 minutes, quit and sleep. So no UI interaction just launching and exiting the program. This is a very simple script. 

An alternative is to simply wait to relaunch the program until you want to use the resources or you finish work...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 22
tjluoma | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:24 PM

Yes, this is exactly the issue.

When I come in I see the notice about "new resources are ready to be added, click here" and it's only after that Logos does the indexing, which is really the problematic piece.

I cannot think of any way to accurately automate the indexing part. I am on a Mac, and I could theoretically tell Keyboard Maestro to click in the vicinity of the pop-up alert, but that's really not very robust.

There is a command "UPDATE NOW" which can be entered into the "Command" field. I guess what I would like is an "UPDATE AND REINDEX NOW" command, or some other method. That could be automated fairly well, I think.

(I am assuming there is a keyboard shortcut to get into the "Command" field, although I do not know/remember what it is at the moment.

Posts 26
tab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:46 PM

tjluoma:
When I come in I see the notice about "new resources are ready to be added, click here" and it's only after that Logos does the indexing, which is really the problematic piece.

When you get updates you could refrain from restarting the application until a time comes that you won't be bothered by the indexing process. I can't think of any application that has access to a machine on the level you're requesting. 

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 4:09 PM

tjluoma:
There is a command "UPDATE NOW" which can be entered into the "Command" field. I guess what I would like is an "UPDATE AND REINDEX NOW" command, or some other method. That could be automated fairly well, I think.

If you set Logos up to download and install resources at (say 2am), all you will need to do is configure a scheduler on your Mac to start Logos at 1:55am, and close it perhaps at 6am. If there have been updates, Logos will start installing and indexing them as soon as you quit, without requiring Logos to be restarted.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:09 PM

Donnie Hale:
In your "Settings," you can do exactly this. I have my updates to download nightly at 1:00 AM.

When resources are ready to install, the Logos Indexer waits for Logos to close so could use program settings to download at 1:00 am; close Logos at 1:30 am so indexing starts when download completes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 22
tjluoma | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 5:05 PM

This is what I'll try, I guess. I was hoping for something a bit more precise.

I have Keyboard Maestro set to launch Logos at 1:55 a.m.

In Logos' settings, I have told it to run automatic updates between 2am and 4am.

Keyboard Maestro is then set to quit Logos at 4am.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS