TJL Is now a good time to buy?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 946
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2014 12:51 PM

Hi,

I'm considering to get the Theological Journal Library 1-15.

I've seen some comments about logos changing the way they publish journals so the question is whether now is a good time to buy. I understand the advantages of integration in my logos library with journals but there seemed to be some complaint about the standard of integration which may be why logos means to do journals differently in future?

Also has anyone compared the logos functionality with the ATLA religion database? I have never been interested in the TJL while at college because we get electronic journals through the library ATLA membership. Is it worth building my own journal collection or would it be better to pay for a library membership at a university to get journals that way?

Advice appreciated!

Cheers,

John

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 1:27 PM

John, my two cents is that - if you can afford it - now would be a good time to buy TJL. [EDIT: I think!] Logos is planning on re-producing the journals (which Galaxie currently does) with enhanced tagging, links, etc. I think it's a reasonable assumption that the cost of the journals could increase to enable Logos to recoup its investment. Logos has confirmed in another thread that anyone owning the Galaxie produced journals will get a free upgrade to the "enhanced" Logos produced journals. 

The other reason to buy them now is that they're an awesome resource you can start using straight away in your library! Big Smile

That said if you can access the journals through college for no cost - then you could save yourself a considerable outlay.

Posts 10446
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 1:28 PM

John Goodman:
would it be better to pay for a library membership at a university to get journals that way?

What would be the cost of doing it this way? With the Logos TLJ library, you pay once and own forever.

John Goodman:
I've seen some comments about logos changing the way they publish journals so the question is whether now is a good time to buy.

Logos plans to produce future journals in-house. This will not affect volumes 1-15. If Logos goes back and improves tagging in those volumes, you will get the enhancements free. Logos guarantee is that you never purchase the same resource twice—unless you make the mistake and do not catch your error.

John Goodman:
 I understand the advantages of integration in my logos library with journals but there seemed to be some complaint about the standard of integration which may be why logos means to do journals differently in future?

That is the reason.

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 1:51 PM

I'll add a third to the two endorsements above. TLJ is a very important part of my library.

The recent 'change over' from the original publisher hasn't yet been completed and we are over a year behind in journal updates, but the ones available now may never get cheaper. The only reason you might want to wait is that when Logos launches its own journal collection, as it is promising to do, they might give a discount on the original volumes as a promotion to buy in. That is merely speculation. The downside is that in the meantime you lose their use.

Some schools have alumni/ae access to ATLA. You can look here for a list of schools that offer this. If available to you, that might hold you over until Logos comes out with their offering.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8833
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:13 PM

John Goodman:
I'm considering to get the Theological Journal Library 1-15.

I am in the same situation as you. These have been on my wish list for some time and I have been waiting for a sale.

Mark Smith:
The only reason you might want to wait is that when Logos launches its own journal collection, as it is promising to do, they might give a discount on the original volumes as a promotion to buy in.

Oh to know the future. I would love it if this were the case.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 946
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 2:32 PM

I think the trade off will be partly that ATLA has more but Logos will make it far easier to use what you have. I guess the thing with these articles is that they are often so tightly focused that I'm guessing more articles might be the key to a high strike rate.

I'm worried that I could pay a lot for content which doesn't prove relevant to my own particular studies. I currently own the full set of semeia and a lot of themelios and rarely do they appear in my passage guide.  

Do those who own this set find that they are getting much use out of them for sermon prep? 

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 4:20 PM

If you can get ATLA, that's the way to go. There are so many more resources in ATLA than TJL, it's not even a comparison.

If you only want TJL journals, I think $5 a month or $50 a year through Galaxie's web site is much more cost effective. You can access all the issues, and you can even search the issues without a subscription to see if it's worth subscribing.

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 5:10 PM

John Goodman:
Do those who own this set find that they are getting much use out of them for sermon prep?

John, I don't generally use them for sermon prep. Others will use the differently, but I use them to get help with topical studies, to get insight into topics being discussed academically, to find out what is being written on contemporary issues, and to read book reviews, among other things. Journals for me are for the kinds of things I don't find in commentaries, Bible dictionaries, etc. At times they have been most valuable.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1821
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 6 2014 5:43 PM

if sermon is your thing .. the journals don't help much.

you need to focus on something relevant for your congregations.

don't let sale/no sale/limited sale controls your time/money..

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 1 2014 8:21 AM

Perhaps this is a matter of how different people do exegesis. I used the journals extensively throughout seminary (thank you to my former pastor who got me started with them!!!) and I continue to use them now as I prepare to teach every Sunday. For me they are a resource useful for focusing on key details in a passage. Certainly not every passage has been covered in journals, and I do get a lot of irrelevant hits, but I still find them very helpful in the exegetical phase of my preparation. As with Mike above, they are much less useful for me when it comes to the homiletical side of things. 

I think part of whether the journals are worth the investment is considering how you would integrate them into your workflow. 

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:57 PM

Jack Caviness:

Logos plans to produce future journals in-house. This will not affect volumes 1-15. If Logos goes back and improves tagging in those volumes, you will get the enhancements free. Logos guarantee is that you never purchase the same resource twice—unless you make the mistake and do not catch your error.

That promise is not extended to those on the academic discount in certain situations you have to pay a second time for resources you already own.

That said absolutely love my TJL 1-15, and recommend it. I doubt they will drop it as it still makes both Galaxie and Logos money :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:59 PM

Mark Smith:

Some schools have alumni/ae access to ATLA. You can look here for a list of schools that offer this. If available to you, that might hold you over until Logos comes out with their offering.

Not every school that has Alumnus access to ATLA is listed there.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS