Huge encyclopaedia: The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible

Page 1 of 7 (132 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 131 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:51 AM

With the help of Wikipedia, I've created the Logos' largest encyclopaedia. It has nearly 18,000 articles and 25 million words, making it three times bigger than even the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. If it was in print form, it would probably fill nineteen 1,000-page volumes.

All the articles in the dictionary come directly from Wikipedia, though don't include tables and images. Crucially, the Dictionary is fully marked-up with links, headwords and a table of contents, which means it functions just like any other Logos resource. The bold links shown above go to other articles in the resource. The links in normal type are online links, normally to Wikipedia itself.

Because of its size, there are 42 .docx files totalling more than 100Mb, which you can download as a .zip file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zid9v5a520stxzs/Dictionary%20of%20Christianity%20and%20the%20Bible.zip 

Make sure you add all the .docx files to the same Personal Book. To do that, you'll first need to unzip the files to a folder of your choice. Then, when you click on 'Add Files', click on first file in that folder, then SHIFT+click on the last file. All the files will be selected:

The book will probably take 30-60 minutes to compile, depending on the speed of your computer. I suggest setting "Type" to "Encyclopedia". There's a cover image included, in the zip file as well. If you want a description, you could use this: This comprehensive dictionary offers the most relevant Wikipedia articles on Christianity, the Bible, theology and Christian history, in one convenient Logos resource. With 25 million words and nearly 18,000 articles it's the most comprehensive encylopaedia of Christian topics available.

I'm interested in your feedback, as always. For obvious reasons I won't be able to make changes to individual articles, but if you notice any systemic problems that a revised algorithm might correct, then please let me know.

Posts 137
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:19 AM

Thank you very much for sharing this, Mark. This is really exciting!

Do we have to format this resource as "dictionary", "encyclopedia", or "monograph"?

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:25 AM

Raymond Urne:
Do we have to format this resource as "dictionary", "encyclopedia", or "monograph"?

"Encylopedia" is best. I've added that into the post.

Posts 137
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:34 AM

Mark Barnes:

Raymond Urne:

"Encylopedia" is best. I've added that into the post.

Thanks!

Posts 9018
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:54 AM

This is a huge "labour of love". Thanks Mark!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:25 AM

Dude!  Thanks,

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 22114
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:36 AM

Hi Mark

I've downloaded it and compiled it - all good.

This is an incredible resource - many thanks for putting it together and for sharing it.

Graham 

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:36 AM

thank you

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:35 AM

Thanks Mark.  You're a blessing!!!

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:11 AM

Thanks! Great work!

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:28 AM

Thanks Mark.

Posts 412
StephenMcC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:30 AM

Thank you Mark. This is what makes Logos a great resource when you can contribute something like this. 

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:37 AM

Thank you very much Mark for this and everything else you do to help us.Smile

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:46 AM

Thank you, Mark.

Posts 70
Timothy Jang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 10:09 AM

Thank you Mark as always! This is great!

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 11:28 AM

Graham Criddle:
This is an incredible resource - many thanks for putting it together and for sharing it.

YesYes

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 11:55 AM

Thank you Mark. This is awesome!  

Posts 1850
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:04 PM

Yes

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:38 PM

Thank you - Mark.

Do you, or anybody else, have a suggested description that could be used as a template?  It would make sense to have, or at least start with, a standard that we all will use as we compile the book. 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:53 PM

With much thanks.

EDIT: Alternative cover, I HAD not compiled it and found the actual GREAT cover you included...

-Dan

Page 1 of 7 (132 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS