Huge encyclopaedia: The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible

Page 2 of 7 (132 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 131 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 18703
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:56 PM

Wow, Dan. Did you make that? It's awesome! Or was there already an ancient book by that title? This looks like a well-worn cover. I couldn't find it in a Google search, though.

Mark did include a jpg file for a cover image in the zip file, BTW.

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 1:33 PM

Mark,

Thank you very much for this file!

Logos is indexing now, it will take a lot of time....

Looking forward to browsing this new encyclopedia.

Hans

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 1:42 PM

Dan Francis:
EDIT: Alternative cover, I HAD not compiled it and found the actual GREAT cover you included...

I like it! I've included it as an alternative in the .zip file.

I see it's from a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin, which makes sense of the figures below Jesus.

IMPORTANT: If you've already compiled the Dictionary, don't recompile it to add this image, or for any other reason. Although the Dictionary only takes about 30 minutes to compile the first time, a bug in Logos means it will take many days to recompile. This will be fixed in 5.2a, but in the meantime you'll have to delete the old PB and re-add it if you want to re-compile it.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 1:50 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Do you, or anybody else, have a suggested description that could be used as a template?

I've added a very brief description to my initial post:

This comprehensive dictionary offers the most relevant Wikipedia articles on Christianity, the Bible, theology and Christian history, in one convenient Logos resource. With 25 million words and nearly 18,000 articles it's the most comprehensive encylopaedia of Christian topics available.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:01 PM

Mark Barnes:

Dan Francis:
EDIT: Alternative cover, I HAD not compiled it and found the actual GREAT cover you included...

I like it! I've included it as an alternative in the .zip file.

I see it's from a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin, which makes sense of the figures below Jesus.

IMPORTANT: If you've already compiled the Dictionary, don't recompile it to add this image, or for any other reason. Although the Dictionary only takes about 30 minutes to compile the first time, a bug in Logos means it will take many days to re-compile. This will be fixed in 5.2a, but in the meantime you'll have to delete the old PB and re-add it if you want to re-compile it.

Hi Mark; The plane has already taken off. I have personally been introduced to the bug. Good to know that there is a contingency plan. Smile

Thanks.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:09 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Hi Mark; The plane has already taken off. I have personally been introduced to the bug. Good to know that there is a contingency plan.

Thankfully you can cancel the rebuild. Last weekend I went away for 36 hours, and when I came back it was still only about 10% through!

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:20 PM

Mark Barnes:

Thankfully you can cancel the rebuild. Last weekend I went away for 36 hours, and when I came back it was still only about 10% through!

Yes. We live and learn. Smile

Posts 1158
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:21 PM

Mark this is excellent! Thank you very much!

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:23 PM

Bruce Dunning:
This is a huge "labour of love". Thanks Mark!

Thanks for the culturally-sensitive spelling, Bruce!

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:30 PM

Mark, thanks so much for this.  I don't think I have ever been so impatient waiting for a personal book to compile. Big Smile

Posts 2335
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:13 PM

Magnificent, thank you so much!

I've encountered a problem immediately. I extracted to new folder, but, my computer couldn't find it do I have to wait until the computer finishes indexing this file before I build the PBB?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

Wow, Dan. Did you make that? It's awesome! Or was there already an ancient book by that title? This looks like a well-worn cover. I couldn't find it in a Google search, though.

Mark did include a jpg file for a cover image in the zip file, BTW.

Found the cover and added the text...and yes I did see that after the download finished... I just got excited and started right away on a cover.

-Dan

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 3:16 PM

Beloved:
I extracted to new folder, but, my computer couldn't find it

Extracting the .zip will only take a few seconds. If you can't find the extracted files, it might be easier to re-extract them, and keep a closer eye on the destination folder. Googling extract zip files windows vista (or whatever operating system you have) should give you the info you need to do that.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:50 PM

Verbum 5.2 SR6 Unable to compile, is any other Mac Verbum user experiencing this? Attached are my log file for the error (tried twice both 86 errors and failed to compile).

-dan

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 4:50 PM

Thanks again, Mark, for this PBB.  Is it possible to create a similar program to extract images related to Christianity and the Bible?  Then we could compile these into a PBB, maybe?  Just thought I'd ask.  ;)

Also, I wonder if anyone knows a simple way to find out who wrote (or contributed to) the Wikipedia articles.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:23 PM

Dan Francis:
Verbum 5.2 SR6 Unable to compile, is any other Mac Verbum user experiencing this? Attached are my log file for the error (tried twice both 86 errors and failed to compile).

There were no logs, unfortunately.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:38 PM

Paul Strickert:
Is it possible to create a similar program to extract images related to Christianity and the Bible?  Then we could compile these into a PBB, maybe? 

Possibly, if you persuade me of demand Wink — and give me some examples.

Paul Strickert:
Also, I wonder if anyone knows a simple way to find out who wrote (or contributed to) the Wikipedia articles.

If you click on the "View Online" link you'll be taken to the Wikipedia site for that page. Then click on View History. However, most articles have hundreds, if not thousands of edits, from dozens of contributors. I check a random page (Theophany), and there were 468 edits from 253 different users.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:57 PM

here are the log 5850.PBB_5886ac90eed44d3c97eae42940a8a115.log

3 errors 86 warnings

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:13 PM

Mark Barnes:

Paul Strickert:
Is it possible to create a similar program to extract images related to Christianity and the Bible?  Then we could compile these into a PBB, maybe? 

Possibly, if you persuade me of demand Wink — and give me some examples.

Paul Strickert:

If you click on the "View Online" link you'll be taken to the Wikipedia site for that page. Then click on View History. However, most articles have hundreds, if not thousands of edits, from dozens of contributors. I check a random page (Theophany), and there were 468 edits from 253 different users.

Click on just about any major topic.  "Book of Revelation", for example, has some wonderful images of artwork.  :)

A question for you, Mark:  How do you personally feel about the quality of scholarship in the Wikipedia articles?  Do you trust what you read?  Or do you prefer, if possible, to compare its content with more trusted sources?  Just curious.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:41 PM

Thanks for all the work! The article on "Geronimo" caught my eye, and I wondered what it might have to do with Christianity. Who knew that "he joined the Dutch Reformed Church in 1903 but four years later was expelled for gambling"? 

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Page 2 of 7 (132 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS