Asus VivoTab Note 8 64 GB

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 8 2014 10:44 AM

I just picked up an Asus VivoTab Note 8 64 GB from the Microsoft Store last night. It is an 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet with the newest Bay Trail Atom processor (quad core), 2 GB RAM and a Wacom digitizer (an absolute must for Logos). It weighs .89 lbs.

I have Logos installed and I have to say, it's running pretty well on this little guy. Unlike last year's Clover Trail Atom processors, this Bay Trail makes a noticeable difference in Logos. Last year when trying out a Clover Trail tablet, I found that scrolling and highlighting was painfully slow to the point that I could just not make it work. The Asus is much better. 

The only hiccup I have seen so far is that I can't scroll with my finger through the search results window. However, if I use the stylus and the scroll bar, I can get through the results quickly. Running the tablet in landscape with two windows open and the highlighting pane is very readable. The Asus runs cool to the touch.

For those wanting to know, the Asus has 37 GB free on the internal drive fresh out of the box. With my Logos installation and Office installed, I have 19 GB free. My Logos 5 folder is 18.2 GB and my library has 3,119 resources. I am hoping there will be a way to offload the recovery partition of the internal drive so that I can free up that space. However, I don't plan to load this tablet down with many other apps and it certainly is not my main machine for doing serious work.

The Asus only has a micro USB port, no HDMI, but it does have a micro SD slot. To install Logos, I copied my Logos folder over to the SD card and then transferred the files over to the internal drive that way.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 11:47 AM

neato. i kept my surface.

Posts 27243
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 1:08 PM

Bill Anderson:
To install Logos, I copied my Logos folder over to the SD card and then transferred the files over to the internal drive that way.

That's confusing. You copied the Logos folder from another computer to the micro SD card? Then you installed Logos as normal and used the Logos folder on the SD card to replace the Logos folder on the internal drive?

Bill Anderson:
I am hoping there will be a way to offload the recovery partition of the internal drive so that I can free up that space.

You can delete the partition to get extra space but make sure you have an image copy of the system/internal drive as an alternative for recovery e.g using Acronis True Image (you could store the image copy on a 32 GB microSD card).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 2:34 PM

Dave,

No, I did a custom installation on the tablet, and copied the Logos data, user and documents folders from my desktop installation onto the SD and then copied those folders to the Logos 5 folder on internal drive of the tablet.

Posts 27243
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 8:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 8:30 PM

Congratulations Bill.

I'm waiting for the 64-bit, 4GB+ RAM version that will be coming out later this year, either from Dell (Venue 8) and I think from Asus (VivoTab) too.

Peter

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:19 PM

It will be interesting to compare the Asus to the Dell. The Asus has a Wacom stylus, the Dell's stylus isn't Wacom. The Asus has an eMMC hard drive, while the Dell has an SSD. The Dell is less expensive, even when you figure in the separate stylus. Other specs seem identical. If I get a little extra money, I'll be very tempted to get one of them!  It would be nice to have the full Logos 5 experience (with some compromises, I know) on an 8 inch device. 

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:50 PM

Mark Nolette:

It will be interesting to compare the Asus to the Dell. The Asus has a Wacom stylus, the Dell's stylus isn't Wacom. The Asus has an eMMC hard drive, while the Dell has an SSD. The Dell is less expensive, even when you figure in the separate stylus. Other specs seem identical. If I get a little extra money, I'll be very tempted to get one of them!  It would be nice to have the full Logos 5 experience (with some compromises, I know) on an 8 inch device. 

I don't own the Dell, but the forum discussions I have read are filled with complaints about the stylus. Dell supposedly has a new version just out, so that may make a difference. People who have both the Dell and Asus say that the Dell has a better screen. You mention the eMMC of the Asus vs. the SSD of the Dell. But for me, the Wacom digitzer of the Asus is the non-negotiable selling point, because I use One Note to take meeting and sermon notes.

As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Asus given my prior experience with last year's Atom-based tablets. The 8-inch form factor is great for Logos. I have two windows open and it is easy to read the text in either column.

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:16 PM

Hi, Bill. Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've read some of those complaints about the Dell stylus and how a new update MAY have fixed the problems (some say yes, others, not quite). You will want a dependable stylus for OneNote! My guess is that a good stylus also helps in working with Logos on an 8 inch screen. I've also seen how the Bay Trail CPUs are a major step up from previous Atom CPUs. 

My only question now is about the screen resolution and the text. Does the text in Logos look clear to you? I assume it does, as you didn't mention it as a negative!  

I'm glad the Asus is working out for you. For me, a good stylus is a nice asset but not essential. (Of course, if I start using OneNote, that could change!)  Clear text is more important.  

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:02 PM

Mark,

The Asus' screen is great. Text is sharp. 1200 x 800 resolution renders the text clear. It's not the highest resolution you'll find in a tablet screen, but good enough.

Yes, a good stylus does help with accuracy. The Asus stylus is like a toothpick and I don't use it. I have Samsung, Lenovo and Wacom-branded styli that all work well. The bonus for the Asus is that any Wacom-penabled stylus will work and you don't need batteries like the Dell stylus.

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:15 PM

Thanks again, Bill. You've been very helpful.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:39 PM

I was getting low on space on the internal eMMC drive of my Asus Vivotab Note 8, so today I installed Logos to a 32GB Class 10 SDHC microSD using method 3. Everything went well, but the "Preparing your library" step took about 45 minutes or so. After that, Logos launched and I was up and running. I am able to report that the degradation in speed is slight and that the experience is pretty much on par to what I was experiencing before.

Posts 47
Brian Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 24 2014 2:16 PM

Try installing TouchMousePointer on your VivoTab. I have it installed on my Venue 8 and it's like I have a real mouse to use in Logos. I have it set for "Full Screen" touch mode, and I set the invisible scroll bar to be on the right side of the screen. I can do everything in Logos, including scrolling, when holding the tablet in one hand and just using my thumb for touch. You may ditch your stylus with this program. In my opinion, Microsoft needs to include this program's functionality in Windows proper.

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 6:07 AM

I ended up buying the Dell Venue 8 Pro, because of the price and a couple of other factors. I also bought the Dell stylus, which works fine. But I can also vouch for the TouchMousePointer that Brian suggests. In the mode he recommends, it works quite well. I don't know how the Asus is set up with its recovery drive, but with the Dell you can easily back up the recovery drive to a USB flash drive and then delete the recovery drive from your tablet, thus gaining about 5 gigs. (Just don't lose the USB drive or wipe it!) I have Logos and several other apps and legacy programs on my Dell (64gb), and still have 20.5 gb free space.  I also have a 64gb microSD card in my Dell, but I haven't needed to put much on it yet. I'll keep Method 3 in mind if I need to move Logos to the card.  

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:15 AM

Brian Crawford:

Try installing TouchMousePointer on your VivoTab. I have it installed on my Venue 8 and it's like I have a real mouse to use in Logos. I have it set for "Full Screen" touch mode, and I set the invisible scroll bar to be on the right side of the screen. I can do everything in Logos, including scrolling, when holding the tablet in one hand and just using my thumb for touch. You may ditch your stylus with this program. In my opinion, Microsoft needs to include this program's functionality in Windows proper.

Hey Brian,

Thanks. I installed the program and it does work. I just have to figure out how to use it for highlighting. It's a little tricky for me.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:19 AM

Mark Nolette:

I ended up buying the Dell Venue 8 Pro, because of the price and a couple of other factors. I also bought the Dell stylus, which works fine. But I can also vouch for the TouchMousePointer that Brian suggests. In the mode he recommends, it works quite well. I don't know how the Asus is set up with its recovery drive, but with the Dell you can easily back up the recovery drive to a USB flash drive and then delete the recovery drive from your tablet, thus gaining about 5 gigs. (Just don't lose the USB drive or wipe it!) I have Logos and several other apps and legacy programs on my Dell (64gb), and still have 20.5 gb free space.  I also have a 64gb microSD card in my Dell, but I haven't needed to put much on it yet. I'll keep Method 3 in mind if I need to move Logos to the card.  

Mark,

Enjoy your Dell tablet! FYI, the 64 GB model of the Asus Vivotab Note 8 doesn't come with the recovery partition on an extra microSD card like the 32 GB version does. Unfortunately, the Asus community has not yet discovered a way to offload the recovery partition to an external drive and have Windows recognize it. So, I can't reclaim that space on my tablet just yet. However, with a 64 GB Class 10 microSDXC card, Logos runs almost as well as it does natively on the internal eMMC.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:24 AM

Another app those of you with Windows 8.1 tablets should check out is TouchMe Gesture Studio. It allows you to control various actions with gestures. For example, when in desktop mode in Windows 8.1, a two-finger swipe up pulls up the onscreen keyboard and a two-finger swipe down hides the keyboard.

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:20 AM

Can either of you try downloading some new Logos resources and running re-indexing on your Asus VivoTab Note 8 or Dell Venue 8 and report back the performance?

I have my Logos installed on my 10" VivoTab but Logos keep stopping because it lost visibility of the 64GB microSD card.  I'm trying to determine if it's a problem with the card or the tablet itself.

thanks,

Peter

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:36 AM

If you use TouchMousePointer on your Windows 8 or 8.1 tablet, I also recommend Start 8 and ModernMix from Stardock. Start 8 sets up a Windows 7-like start button and menu, so you can open legacy and Modern apps from that menu. ModernMix lets you run Modern apps as windows on the desktop. 

I rarely do highlighting, so I'm sorry I can't be of any help on that aspect of using Logos on a tablet. I'd probably do that on my laptop instead. 

PL, I had an Asus VivoTab Smart (10 in.) last year. I had similar problems with Windows occasionally not "seeing" my microSD card. I never found a solution to it other than restarting the tablet. I hope you find a better answer.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:46 AM

PL:

Can either of you try downloading some new Logos resources and running re-indexing on your Asus VivoTab Note 8 or Dell Venue 8 and report back the performance?

I have my Logos installed on my 10" VivoTab but Logos keep stopping because it lost visibility of the 64GB microSD card.  I'm trying to determine if it's a problem with the card or the tablet itself.

thanks,

Peter

Yes, my whole library is on a microSD in my Asus VivoTab Note 8. Indexing is slower on the SD and it does slow the computer down. But, the indexing does complete successfully. This morning, I downloaded some updates and they completed and indexed.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS