Asus VivoTab Note 8 64 GB

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:52 PM

Mark,

Thanks for your note. Did you reuse the same microSD card that was "disappearing" sporadically on your VivoTab Smart and now using the same card on your Dell Venue 8 with no such issues?

If your answer is Yes then I know it probably is a problem with the VivoTab Smart.  I'm debating whether I should spend $80 to get a new microSD card and try, before I spend $380 on a new tablet.

This issue of "disappearing" microSD card on the Smart has been occurring more and more often and has rendered the tablet almost unusable now.  It seems to happen whenever there's any kind of "heavy" read/write activity on the card.  Nowadays just starting Logos 5 cannot be completed without the SD card disappearing.

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:52 PM

Thanks for your update, Bill, that's encouraging!

Peter

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 3:27 PM

Hi, Peter,

Yes, I'm using the same microSD card in my Dell that I had in my ViviTab Smart. I haven't had any issues so far. For me, the disappearing microSD trick didn't happen all that often, but often enough to be annoying (maybe 2-4 times per week). I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue with the VivoTab. Early on, some people reported a similar problem with the Dell (maybe it's been fixed). It would be great if there was a way to fix that without you having to buy another tablet - if you are happy with your tablet in general. Many people don't have money to waste. But if you can upgrade, buying a Bay Trail tablet would serve you well - still cheaper and with better battery life than an i3 or i5, but with better performance than the Clover Trail in your Asus. Whether you choose the Asus that Bill bought, or the Dell I bought, or a few others, you'll get an improved product. 

My Dell does everything in Logos in about half the time of the VivoTab Smart, sometimes less. The 8 inch factor may be too small for some, but it is very portable. I am surprised with how well Logos does work with a Bay Trail tablet. Sure, a Surface Pro would be faster, but you also pay for the privilege! The Dell isn't my main computer, so i don't expect it to do all my heavy digital lifting. But the Dell is ideal for light to middle-level Bible study while seated on my favorite chair.  The same would be true of Bill's Asus, I'm sure.  

As far as indexing goes, I had an update today which downloaded 67 megs of updated resources to my Dell. Indexing took less than an hour. 

Hope this helps.

Mark

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 6:37 PM

Mark Nolette:

My Dell does everything in Logos in about half the time of the VivoTab Smart, sometimes less. The 8 inch factor may be too small for some, but it is very portable. I am surprised with how well Logos does work with a Bay Trail tablet. Sure, a Surface Pro would be faster, but you also pay for the privilege! The Dell isn't my main computer, so i don't expect it to do all my heavy digital lifting. But the Dell is ideal for light to middle-level Bible study while seated on my favorite chair.  The same would be true of Bill's Asus, I'm sure.  

I concur totally. I had a Clover Trail tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2) and it just didn't work well enough with Logos. If you used a mouse only it worked, but scrolling with your finger was out of the question. 

I would so be interested in an 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet with the specs of a surface pro. I wish OEMs didn't regard the smaller tablet form factors as their budget lines.

Posts 27257
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:28 PM

PL:
I have my Logos installed on my 10" VivoTab but Logos keep stopping because it lost visibility of the 64GB microSD card.

That was never a problem for me but you also had that issue in August 2013 If you have those Updates, and you assign the SD Card a specific drive letter in Disk Management, I would say it is the 64 GB SD card (mine is 32 GB) rather than the VivoTab Smart.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:26 PM

I think I might have stumbled upon the cause (or one of the causes) of the microSD card problem.

I got the Dell Venue 8 from the Microsoft Store last night (they didn't have the Asus VivoTab Note 8).  When using Method 2 to copying the files from the microSD card to the new Venue 8, it stopped at the same file (LSG.logos) twice.  And then the microSD card disappeared from the File Explorer.

I was able to remove that file, and on the third try it copied a lot more files, and then stopped at one of the index files.

There seems to be some kind of file or card corruption causing the problem.  When I have time I will back up whatever I can from the card to an external hard drive, then try to reformat the card and start over, to see if that fixes the problem.

Meanwhile I just re-installed Logos5 and let it download all the resources online overnight.  I left it indexing when I left home for work this morning.  Will check and report back.

It seems that the Asus VivoTab Note 8 stylus is a better stylus.  I can't get used to the Jot Pro stylus I got from the MS Store last night.  But the VivoTab seems to be out of stock online and in several MS Stores.

Peter

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 31 2014 5:16 AM

Yes, it sounds like you have a microSD card problem. I can't tell you more than that, though.

I found that the Dell stylus works well with the Venue 8 Pro. Be sure you update the firmware for stylus support. The new firmware wasn't on my Dell when it arrived three weeks ago. That will make your stylus work better. I have never used the stylus you have, so I don't know how it compares to the Dell or the Asus.  

Posts 3
Buzz Bruggeman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 10:11 AM

Hi Bill...

I have been researching some Win8 tablets like the Asus, and really appreciated your post. I am a friend of Bob Pritchett, the CEO of Logos, and wanted to make sure I could post this, and he gave me his OK.

We have built ActiveWords. We are close to "shipping" ActiveWords 2.1 for Windows 8.1

Here is the version 2.1 release candidate: <http://bit.ly/PNsuwa> it should run perfectly on the your Asus, but I would love to have you and the members of this group trying/using our product.

Be sure to watch this video: http://bit.ly/1nBA5cO

This version will work on all older versions of Windows too.

I'm sure you have seen all our old videos, but if not, these may also be helpful: <http://www.activewords.com/demos.html>

I think we are about 10 days or less from being ready to launch.

Let us know what you think and if you have any issues with the software. And if you want to take time to jump on GoToMeeting, I would be happy to walk you through ActiveWords top to bottom.

Best,

Buzz

Burton L. Bruggeman
ActiveWords, Inc./Seattle
buzz@activewords.com

http://www.activewords.com/
http://peg.me/buzz

And about me  http://about.me/buzz

Posts 27257
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:04 PM

Buzz Bruggeman:

Hi Bill...

I have been researching some Win8 tablets like the Asus, and really appreciated your post. I am a friend of Bob Pritchett, the CEO of Logos, and wanted to make sure I could post this, and he gave me his OK.

We have built ActiveWords.

And the relationship between this product and Bill's first post is....?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3
Buzz Bruggeman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:06 PM

Just my hope that active users of the Asus device would test our product on your devices. Finding people with hardware as well as apps that we make better is tough. As I said in my note Bob Pritchett the CEO of Logos is a friend, and I sought his permission before posting. If my appeal to your group offended you in any way, please accept my apologies.

Buzz Bruggeman

Posts 27257
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:33 PM

Buzz Bruggeman:
Just my hope that active users of the Asus device would test our product on your devices.

By targeting one user?

Your approach violates Forum Guidelines so we need to hear direct from Bob that this is OK.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3
Buzz Bruggeman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:37 PM

Bob as in Bob Pritchett?

Here's the thread...

[collapse]-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 10:01 AM

To: Buzz Bruggeman

Subject: RE: Asus VivoTab Note 8 64 GB - Logos Bible Software Forums

Nope. Go right ahead.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 9:56 AM

To: Bob Pritchett

Subject: FW: Asus VivoTab Note 8 64 GB - Logos Bible Software Forums

Bob:

Is there a moderator of this forum? I would like to post something about ActiveWords on this Asus tablet.

Thanks,

Buzz

[/collapse]
Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS