What logos package is best for a pastor in rural iowa

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3
Timothy D. Curtiss | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 8:02 PM

I recently graduated from seminary and have my first church in a small city in rural Iowa.  I do not have time to do the extensive research that I did in seminary.  I would like to update my logos. Which package do you think is best for a busy pastor in rural Iowa?

Sincerely, 

Pastor Tim Curtiss

Posts 1634
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 8:41 PM

Welcome to the Logos Forums, and congratulations on your call.  I will not dare to make any specific recommendations to you without knowing more, but will offer the following limited advice.

1)  You really should get some form of a Base Package so you have the standard features and add ins.

2)  Look for quality resources that you can depend on - like bible dictionaries and maybe grammars to add.

3) If there are any standard documents for your church body, get them in Logos.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 7073
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 9:01 PM

Depends on your budget, but if you can afford it, I'd say go minimum Silver or Gold (more Gold if you can).  Other than that it may be up to your needs and the ones you see in your congregation.  Another thing, you said, "update your logos" does that mean you have a Base Package already? or just random resources? That would factor in too, if you have Silver already then do Gold or Platinum.  I guess we need to know more, but then again is up to you in the end.

DAL

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:29 PM

Way to go Timothy! First church! What an exciting time. Keep us in touch with what you eventually decide to purchase and remember you will have a lot of friends here who have gone through what you're going to go through both good and challenging.

Many of these people will be able to help you with any question you have with the Logos product. Keep in touch.

Once again, congratulations. 

mm.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:32 PM

Timothy D. Curtiss:

I recently graduated from seminary and have my first church in a small city in rural Iowa.  I do not have time to do the extensive research that I did in seminary.  I would like to update my logos. Which package do you think is best for a busy pastor in rural Iowa?

Sincerely, 

Pastor Tim Curtiss

That would be the Hawkeye Edition.  Wink 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1879
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:56 PM

Gold, minimum. 

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:11 AM

Timothy D. Curtiss:
Which package do you think is best for a busy pastor in rural Iowa?

I have a buyer's guide, which you might find helpful: http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/documents/logos-5-buyers-guide/

Personally, I'd try and start at least at Silver, but with some additional commentaries (read my comments on 'Diamond' for some commentary suggestions). Gold is a great buy too, but on a limited budget, for preaching I'd prefer Silver plus my choice of commentaries. (That said, if you can stretch your budget to Gold plus commentaries, then even better!)

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:39 AM

Timothy D. Curtiss:
 I would like to update my logos.

What do you currently have?

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:48 AM

Congratulations on your graduation and pastorship in the country.

I have SILVER though I am not a Pastor yet, just a blessed Mdiv candidate hopeful of becoming an assistant pastor someday.

I find commentaries are a big help and some do come with Silver.  I hope to get the full Tyndale set some day.  Til then, purchase books on sermon series you are doing and God bless your prep work and time.

There are many books in Logos for Pastors by Pastors I think too.

God bless your service and church and family.

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 1:02 PM

Timothy D. Curtiss:

Sincerely, 

Pastor Tim Curtiss

Tim,

I live about 45 miles SE of you in Keosauqua. Maybe we can get together sometime and encourage and help each other in the work of the Kingdom and the use of Logos. I've been a preacher for more than 40 years and in my current location for more than 20 years. Let me know if I can be of help. I preach at an Independent Christian Church.

Bill 

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 1:45 PM

It is not a package but two things I think might think of the more practical additions..

The Preachers Commentary is a little dated but very good.

The Preacher’s Commentary

Cornerstone Commentary is very solid. 

Cornerstone Biblical Commentaries (20 vols.)

and my perennial favourite all around commentary New Interpreter's Bible.  

New Interpreter's Bible

-Dan

Posts 893
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:08 PM

Pastor Tim,

I'll echo my fellow forum friends in congratulating you and praying for God's richest blessing on your ministry!  However, I'll depart from the standard party line and suggest that, at least in my personal experience, much of what I've bought in base packages has been of little utility in my preaching, teaching, and devotional studies.  Carefully look at the content of the base packages and make yourself a spreadsheet of the resources that you can't live without, the ones you really want (book lust... its an addiction), the ones you don't recognize (do the research and decide whether the content is something that seems to touch on an interest or ministry need), and the ones you are ambivalent about.

I found that initially my largest bang for the buck was buying resources during Logos's big Thanksgiving or Christmas sales.  Later, during the huge revision sales L3 to L4, then L4 to L5) it made sense from a fiscal perspective to upgrade to a higher base package because resources I needed (or frankly, just wanted Soooooo Much!) were included that would have cost much more if bought as individual resource sets.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:37 PM

Timothy D. Curtiss:

Welcome to the forums Tim.  Where are you from in Iowa - for several years I taught at Northwestern College in Orange City, IA, up in the NW corner of the state.  That was rural (to some extent) - I had students using the INTERNET before the school had access using a grant and working with a local phone company's dial-up access.  Slow, but better than anything.  I also completed three units of CPE in Sioux City, IA, and Cherokee, IA.  God bless as you continue to serve Him in the years ahead.

Now to answer your question: 

I would get the largest base package that you can afford at this time.  It is the least expensive way to go.

I recently went on my first cruise as I celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary.  The marketing plan of the cruise reminded me of LOGOS.  Everything is included in the price - and you can have a wonderful time with just the pre-packaged cruise.  But as you progress, you find that there are extra's that you want - soda is not included in the quoted price.  If you want to do anything exotic in port (snorkeling, scenic drives, visiting museums, etc.) there are extra costs.  

LOGOS works the same way - you can enjoy and get a great deal of use out of any base package, but you will want more.  The hardest lesson I have learned while owning LOGOS is to say, "NO".  I cannot get everything - though it appears that some on this list can.  It is easy to spend more than you plan - whether on the cruise or while using LOGOS.  Be patient as you build your library - use wisdom by buying what you need, not what you want.  In time your library will grow.  

Yours because His,

Floyd Johnson

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:48 PM

I would not recommend buying a base-package if You don't feel sure You will use most or even just half of it. As funds allow You may quickly want to buy things to replace the low-end resources of a base-package.

Recommended resources on a sale right now (most of them because they are pre-pub/pre-order), include:

• New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.) (with this You won't need Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary nor Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible, the latter which is included in Bronze). This one is the definite winner, especially if You don't buy any base-package that includes any similar/big resource.
  • Social-Science Commentary (4 vols.)
  • And if You want a pastoral commentary: New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) which Dan Francis has suggested. I'm not buying the latter myself because I have over-indulged in commentaries already and the orders I have seem to cover much of the books of the Bible I'm interested in.
  • Also, if You are interested in a type of linear presentation, instead of buying a base-package just bid what You think it would be worth on: The Bible in Seven Acts, with Slides (7 vols.) ... it's not a low-budget resource per-se but if You don't value it highly and bid accordingly and then loose out on it You haven't lost a penny.

Hint: when You "bid" on pre-pubs/pre-orders, give it some extra thought before the order ships. It's mentally much harder to return an order than to cancel before anything happens. In real life You don't always have the time to test-drive a new resource anyway.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 22651
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:13 PM

Mark Barnes:
Personally, I'd try and start at least at Silver, but with some additional commentaries (read my comments on 'Diamond' for some commentary suggestions). Gold is a great buy too, but on a limited budget, for preaching I'd prefer Silver plus my choice of commentaries. (That said, if you can stretch your budget to Gold plus commentaries, then even better!)

I would endorse what Mark says (I have the Gold package)

Looking at the list of commentaries which it contains I particularly find the list below useful:

• New American Commentary 
  • Exegetical Summary Series
  • UBS (Old and New Testaments)

(Of these only NAC is available in Silver)

To these - if budget allows - I would add the "Preaching the Word" series.

I also find the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament helpful (available in Gold but not in Silver)

But, as others have said, its important to look at what would be of value to you and work out the most economical way of getting it

Graham

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:17 PM

What you, or I, or Unix would find usefull is all going to be different. I don't know that I would recomend some of the same ones he (Unix) did, but then I'm baptist in tradition.

I personally have the platinum base package.

The adage has been the more books you feed logos, the more powerful it becomes.

However the other strategy (and the better strategy) is: The more books of quality you feed logos the more useful it becomes.

Base packages are a great place to start. you should get some things you agree with, some that you are close to agreeing with, and somethings of contrary perspectives.

Secondarily, if you are a student (and I don't think you are) the Theological Journal Libraries (which are no longer being created) vol 1-16 have hundreds of years (combined) of theological journals, book reviews and so forth.

Tertiarily if money is an issue, as it is for this part time pastor, and full time student, then the community pricing (and pre-publication) parts of the store is your new best friend.

I would start by determining your budget... Then look at the base packages in your price range. Then look at the resources provided by the package. Figure out which ones are interesting to you, and which are not; then use the normal selling price of the resources you find interesting to determine value: IE If I were looking at a base package that had NICOT, NICNT, AYBD, EBC, and the rest was rubbish, but the base package cost only 1400$ as opposed to buying the individual items which would cost somewhere around 2000$ (if I had to guess, and no such base package exists currently... but you get the idea) - at that price point (1400$) you're also getting all the other titles that you are currently ambivalent towards. I can't tell you how many times I've found wheat amongst the tares, something where I didn't recognize the author, but upon reading the tome, found it invaluable.

That is my approach to upgrading and buying base packages... If it turns out to be cheaper just to buy those items you want from the base package, then go that route (but it won't be, at least it wasn't for me).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 9215
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 4:57 PM

Given what you have said I too would recommend Gold if you can handle that. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10775
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:19 PM

Without offending, I find this whole thread strange. (1) How does one graduate from a seminary and not have a good idea what tools will be required? (not just computer software books) and (2) What's unusual about rural Iowa?

I'd assume (I went to Bible college; not seminary) that the problems facing a rural Iowan minister are very likely along the lines of the unsolvable. People's lives.  In this, I'd think Tom (Black) would be the expert, with his unique water-tower view.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:23 PM

Denise:
I'd assume (I went to Bible college; not seminary) that the problems facing a rural Iowan minister are very likely along the lines of the unsolvable. People's lives.  In this, I'd think Tom (Black) would be the expert, with his unique water-tower view.

I took his question to be what will give me the most useful info in a brief time to help develop my sermons. By rural I had assumed 2 things... No large library near and any pastor in a rural setting often has little time in comparison to a larger church with multiple pastors and a more centralized congregation. I choose evangelical resources that are very applicable and that a busy person to delve into quickly. I almost did not include the NIB since it is a broader resource, and while I think he may find it very useful in my past experience most Baptists prefer more conservative texts (but the link i included gives him plenty of examples to evaluate it, for himself). I know that the base packages offer a lot of very useful stuff, but what is going to best feed his soul and offer him insights to build his sermons around???

-Dan  

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:38 PM

Timothy D. Curtiss:

Sincerely, 

Pastor Tim Curtiss

Congrats!

I would say buy what you will use.  I personally purchased the original language  back for L3, and I have not upgraded my package.  What I have done is purchased the books that I know I would use.  While the cost per book is higher, I do use a higher percentage of my resources, and it cuts down on the number of rabbit trails that i might follow.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS