Does John really need Daniel?

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 905
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:31 PM

MJ. Smith:
....We aren't sufficiently united to be able to agree on the definition of a heretic.Wink

#TRUTH and #INSIGHTFUL

"I read dead people..."

Posts 905
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 4:12 PM

Milkman:
Can you recommend any Logos or otherwise relevant books that you think would be helpful for my study?

MM, The most relevant book is, of course, the Scriptures.  Using an inductive approach that leads one to prayerfully discover what it says (OBSERVATION), then what it means (INTERPRETATION), and finally how it should affect my walk (APPLICATION); will give you a foundational understanding by which external resources can be evaluated as to their usefulness rather than potentially influencing your study unduly.

That said, I've found considerable help in Wright's Revelation For Everyone and Mattoon's Treasures In The Revelation (still gathering interest for Logos publication, but widely available in competitor's packages).  These two resources are widely divergent in their presentation and neither is representative of the technical approach, however both have multiple references and whole sections dedicated to the relationships between Daniel, Ezekiel, and the Revelation.  I also recommend the New American Commentary volume on the Revelation, with reservation.

Every blessing on your study!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:00 PM

@ Brother Mark,

Thanks! I'm leaning toward the NAC - Revelation. Not sure where Patterson comes from, I'm thinking pre-mill, but he was at one time president of the SBC.

Thanks again,

mm.

mm.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 1:42 PM

Jack Caviness:

David Carter:

Lynden Williams:

By the way I use my wife's pic as my avatar.

I wonder if I'm the only person round here who didn't realise that Embarrassed

Lynden has used his own picture as an avatar previously, as I have. Believe me, neither of us are as lovely as our present avatar Big Smile

Praying!! Tongue Tied

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 8487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 3:53 PM

Lynden Williams:

@ Milkman. None taken. By the way I use my wife's pic as my avatar.

You mean this is your wife? LOL 😂 cute short hair 😜😁

DAL

Posts 537
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 4:22 PM

DAL - before this pic, there was his wife's pic. 

Posts 8487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 5:11 PM

Fasil:

DAL - before this pic, there was his wife's pic. 

I know 😁 I've seen it alternate before.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 19 2017 11:20 PM

Milkman:

In order for someone to have a "better" or more comprehensive interpretation of the book of Revelation do you or should you have a very good working knowledge of Daniel or does it really matter?

Beale's NICGT is perhaps the commentary that explores the most OT backgrounds to the book of Revelation and it references Daniel 284 times.

IMO, it is very important for NT interpretation generally, and certainly that of Revelation, to strive to understand where the OT leaves one in terms of hopes/divine promises for the future. It is also helpful to read other Jewish writings up to and contemporary with the NT for the same reasons. Although these were not part of the Jewish canon, they were read devotionally like some Christians today may read Augustine or Calvin. In other words, they were influential (although some of them may have been sectarian). I only know of NT Wright's work as a serious attempt to wrestle with these questions and relate the NT writings to them, but perhaps there are others.

I do not mean to discourage you by a recommendation of an overwhelming list of works to read, but fact is that we can often read NT writings completely ignorantly as if we had just picked up a cheap novel in a bookstore. The problem with shortcuts is that it does not really work even though it may give the impression that it does.

Yet if it is too much for you to delve this deeply into Revelation at this point, you may find Osborne BECNT useful in giving a very solid discussion of the book in a more approachable way than Beale.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 20 2017 4:35 AM

Given that this thread started on Mar 11 2014  I'm not entirely sure it needs more answers. :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2875
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 20 2017 5:03 AM

TCBlack:

Given that this thread started on Mar 11 2014  I'm not entirely sure it needs more answers. :-)

https://www.logos.com/product/49128/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-daniel-upgrade 

Is number six on the  Community Pricing list. 

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS