Thru The Bible Commentary - J. Vernon Mcgee with Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
A Southern Baptist Believer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 11 2014 7:19 PM

Greetings All,

Always the late bloomer, I'm only now upgrading from a much older Libronix package--which was quite satisfactory to my needs, then and now.  So it goes, new computers, OS' and so forth. 

Given that I really do not use many features of the application software, I bought this very basic version and it has everything I was looking for, integrated my older Max Lucado references, flawlessly, and a couple of items I purchased on Vyrso have functioned as well I could have asked.  What I would like to have is the collection reference of J Vernon Mcgees entire notes and commentary... and luckily, Logos 5 not only supports it but has it available. 

To the point then... cost, features and functions!  The ebook version is significantly less costly than the Logos version.  I can appreciate that they have brought added value to that presentation but I wonder why added value is valuable, in the context of what Mcgee was presenting, to begin with.

$89 is not going to break the bank but $59 is less, under a different provider.  To the extent that Logos is noted for occasional promotions and discounts, I am good with waiting until such time if there is an appreciable price opportunity.  Otherwise, to my mind, the previously published, topical, articles from Mcgee's format were designed to be discrete units of knowledge. 

What do you think?  Hold out for a price benefit opportunity, go with the ebook format or just open the purse a little wider?

Thank you for your consideration.

Bob

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 7:35 PM

Welcome to the forums Bob. Hope you return often.

What finally caused you to upgrade? Personally I have never looked back since upgrading.

Bobby Brown:
What do you think?  Hold out for a price benefit opportunity, go with the ebook format or just open the purse a little wider?

Those are the options and no one can tell you what is best for you. From a personal perspective I would either choose to wait or to just spend the extra money as I prefer to have all my digital library in Logos.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 7
A Southern Baptist Believer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:00 AM

Greetings Bruce,

Thanks for the welcome and reply.  I don't think of any one thing in particular that provoked the upgrade other than my old Libronix version was from a cut-out version from a discount book store, back in 2005 and I thought the updated versions might have been tweaked a bit for newer computers.  The thought of going with the Gold plan was tempting but there is already so much included in the absolute basic, entry level package that it seemed more practical to develop my familiarity with the fundamentals before adding in references, accessories, bells & whistles and all that.  I like the Matthew Henry commentaries just fine, same with the Holman material.  I have already listened to much of Mcgee's audio and being from an East Texas family, listening to him is reminiscent of growing up back in the 50s & 60s.  Still, having a handy access to some of his written material, notes and transcriptions, could be useful for citation or sharing with those unfortunate folks who know even less about the bible than I! 

Believe it or not, there really are people out there who know less than I do about the God's Word and before I start telling them about it, I need to 'get my ducks in a row' with some confidence.  You know what they say about the primacy of learning.  It would not do to go around saying stuff or using biblical references out of context--except of on some TV programs or less-than-inspired publications (sarcasm intended).

I'll keep an eye on the Logos promos and see if they come up with a spiff or incentive for the enhanced version.  I really like the look and feel of the new version of the program.  It is a tad on the slow side and the initial download was just about on the verge of unpleasantly slow--haha, as though I had so many other pressing and urgent matters competing for the computer that afternoon!

Best,

Bob

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:27 PM

You can actually get the Kindle version for J. Vernon McGee's Notes for $ 52.99 for Volumes 1-5: Genesis through Revelation.  Of 109 user reviews there 100 are five star and there are zero one star reviews. It looks like a great commentary.

Kindle highlights and notes are automatically saved online by Amazon from which site they could be copied and pasted to Logos 5.

Frankly, I'd like to see the next iteration of Logos 6 in a Kindle format.  I still have Logos 4 but would jump to a Logos 6 fully Kindle compatible and even pay up to $ 1,000 for it.  I find the Kindle app for Logos deficient to the PC version of Logos 5.

Posts 7

I've never used a Kindle but I did purchase one as a Christmas gift a year or two back.  The recipient is a voracious book reader and has really put it to the test, it may have been with books from Amazon but I have never used one.  The iPhone 4 is Ok for quick reading but too much strain for any in depth reading.  As poor as my vision is, this old 19" monitor is about as good as it's likely to get.

CBD also has the Mcgee series you describe, at that price, in the ebook format.  Since I have elected to go a la carte, I think I'll hold out for the value added Logos enhanced version, if they get around to promoting the package.  And, who knows what might happen with March Madness!

Thanks for your informative reply,

Bob

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:19 PM

Just search for "j vernon mcgee libronix" and you should be able to pick up an unregistered copy of the now discontinued Libronix CD's for a very good price, which can then be registered to your account and be fully functional in Logos 5. A major e-retailer seems to have two of them in its marketplace for much less than the figures you are suggesting.

Posts 7

Aha!  May there be no piranhas as I wade in that vast river.  Or, as an old gospel song was titled, Down By The Riverside--or more secularly, Take Me To The River.  And, if it doesn't work out... then I'll (not) Cry Me a River

... love was too plebian

you were through with me and...

Thanks, Mike!

Bob

Posts 7

Well, the package from the major e-retailer arrived today and the serial number will not install.  I removed my earlier version of the Max Lucado version of Libronix when I could not find any means of adding in the Mcgee e-books and then reinstalled from the new disk issued by ThomasNelson.com

The serial number is inside the sealed package, the package was indicated as being NEW so I don't have any reason to think that someone else has already tried to use the serial number.  The package was sold by a vendor in Lexington, KY, such as postage of shipping references are reliable.  That it might matter, there was no invoice or other documentation inside of the shipping envelope.

I guess that eBible has been discontinued as there is no way to unlock the product, either in the old Libronix environment or in Logos 5. 

On the basis of that, I am still within the 30 day period to vacate the agreement to purchase the Base Package and that is what I am going to do. 

While it is understandable that software vendors are concerned about piracy and bootlegging... the legitimate consumers are bearing a onerous burden. 

Similarly, I am also ending my subscription with Adobe for their 'cloud' product.  Adobe has stopped selling applications that I used, in favor of a monthly subscription arrangement, on an annual basis.  I was satisfied with my older Libronix products, and I was satisfied with Adobe basic Creative Suite, around version 5.5 

Best to you all.  If you know a work around, let me know.  I am not interested in overcoming obstacles to use legacy products, just to be current.

Bob

Posts 27683
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 5:55 PM

Call Logos with the unlock Code. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 7

Well, that probably was a better idea than what I did, in frustration.  Instead, I boneheaded and resisted and then got stupid and canceled the account.  I ordered Logos 5 on March 1st, today is St. Patrick's day, I'm not Catholic but it is still March 17th and the promotion was specific that there was a 30 day Trial Period--why test the 'saints'?

Posts 7
A Southern Baptist Believer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 11:18 AM

Haha, well Brother 'Bama... you're right.  I called, they took the serial number and activated the product. 

I don't hear well and avoid using telephones as much as possible.  BTW, they only activated it for use with Logos 5 so I still cannot access the resources in the Libronix DLS ver. 3.0g.

Thanks for setting me straight,

Bob

Posts 24936
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 2:28 PM

Bobby Brown:
BTW, they only activated it for use with Logos 5 so I still cannot access the resources in the Libronix DLS ver. 3.0g.

That doesn't sound right. The resource is still in Libronix format so the licence should not be restricted to Logos 5. Check your Order History page, click the Order number against the resource and you should find Download Instructions for Previous Versions.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:57 AM

Bobby Brown:

Haha, well Brother 'Bama... you're right.  I called, they took the serial number and activated the product. 

I don't hear well and avoid using telephones as much as possible.  BTW, they only activated it for use with Logos 5 so I still cannot access the resources in the Libronix DLS ver. 3.0g.

Thanks for setting me straight,

Bob

From personal experience with many such older Libronix software packages, I can tell you they will make it available in Libronix.  At least they always have.  Logos is most cooperative and helpful.

In fact, first just start Libronix and sync your licenses.  That alone may fix the problem without calling.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 10:18 AM

Bobby Brown:
I guess that eBible has been discontinued as there is no way to unlock the product, either in the old Libronix environment or in Logos 5.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Installing_Libronix_Books

Syncing license updates from Libronix allows resource usage in Logos 4, Logos 5, Verbum, ...

Logos tagging of McGee's commentary allows resource linking with Bibles so changing verse location in one resource causes location change in other linked resource(s).  Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Linking_Resources

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS