Bible Word Study: Textual Search doesn't search Loeb volumes?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 14 2014 12:32 PM

I have a number of Loeb Greek texts, but I never see any of them come up in textual searches in the Bible Word Study. I can even go into one of the Loeb volumes (e.g., Eusebius, The Ecclesiastical History, vol. 1: Greek Text), right click on a Greek word, click on "Lemma" -> "Bible Word Study," and get results for NT, LXX, Ap.Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, and the Classics, but have nothing that points me back to this Loeb volume. If this is morphologically tagged (and it is!), shouldn't I be able to have my textual search tell me how many times it is found in my Loeb volumes?

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 11:28 PM

David Sloan:
shouldn't I be able to have my textual search tell me how many times it is found in my Loeb volumes?

It would be a matter of Logos deciding it is a suitable/meaningful category. Perhaps a User Voice request would be appropriate.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 7:10 PM

Okay, I added it here. This seems like it would be so easy for Logos to add and so useful for us! Please vote for this suggestion.

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:53 AM

Is there a way to edit Bible Word Study so it automatically searches a collection I've created? Again, I think it is so important to make the Loeb volumes searchable, and I'm disappointed that I can't find a way of automating this.

Posts 1713
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:08 AM

This seems like a good idea; how would you suggest we group these other texts? As "Loeb", or in author/title-specific groupings, like we do for the existing collections?

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:27 AM

I would have a Loeb Classical Library: Greek collection and a Loeb Classical Library: Latin collection. Eventually I hope my Loeb Classical Library will be pretty large, so separating them out I would find to be more annoying than helpful.

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:44 AM

David Sloan:

Is there a way to edit Bible Word Study so it automatically searches a collection I've created? Again, I think it is so important to make the Loeb volumes searchable, and I'm disappointed that I can't find a way of automating this.

I would like the option to edit BWS myself to add a collection.

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 163
Reimar Vetne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:22 PM

As "Loeb"

Posts 11323
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:23 PM

I can't imagine users having to vote to get Logos to connect up its BWS to rollups (which appear to be pre-defined, with a search attached).  When Rick did his NT Apocrypha, the rollup followed in short order.  Ditto the Perseus classics. 

The basic issue is when deciding whether to buy a tagged resource, a BWS attached rollup can't be assumed.  One of the reasons I got the more expensive Josephus was its presumed (and actual) support in the BWS. Ditto Philo and Biblical DSS.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 1:16 PM

You have my vote. Seems like a slam dunk to me!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 1:58 PM

Bob Pritchett:
This seems like a good idea; how would you suggest we group these other texts? As "Loeb", or in author/title-specific groupings, like we do for the existing collections?

I think it would be best if it is grouped by period.

Classical, Hellenistic, Byzantine, Roman and so on, because language usage changes over time.

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:13 PM

David Knoll:

Classical, Hellenistic, Byzantine, Roman and so on, because language usage changes over time.

I think that's a great idea.  I'd like to suggest that Homeric also be split out separately from Classical.

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:26 PM

David Knoll:

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:15 PM

EastTN:

David Knoll:

I think that's a great idea.  I'd like to suggest that Homeric also be split out separately from Classical.

Yes I agree,  and perhaps another division should be between prose poetry and documentary texts. 

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 8:01 AM

Bob Pritchett:

So is this going to happen???

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:32 AM

David Sloan:

I have a number of Loeb Greek texts, but I never see any of them come up in textual searches in the Bible Word Study. I can even go into one of the Loeb volumes (e.g., Eusebius, The Ecclesiastical History, vol. 1: Greek Text), right click on a Greek word, click on "Lemma" -> "Bible Word Study," and get results for NT, LXX, Ap.Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, and the Classics, but have nothing that points me back to this Loeb volume. If this is morphologically tagged (and it is!), shouldn't I be able to have my textual search tell me how many times it is found in my Loeb volumes?

Still hoping to see this feature implemented - perhaps Logos 6.1? It seems like it would not be hard at all to add.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:44 AM

EastTN:

David Knoll:

I agree on the above.

Posts 460
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 11:32 AM

Can someone help me understand the request here? Which describes the situation?

1. The Loeb texts already morphologically tagged and can be searched for a lemma but don't show up in BWS
  2. The Loeb texts are not morphologically tagged

I'm considering purchasing some but if they aren't tagged it's not worth it to me. Thanks!

Posts 35
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 1:16 PM

Situation #1

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS