Hightlight note in Desktop version of Logos

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 87
Stephen Kao | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 14 2014 4:47 PM

Hi

Not sure this been asked before, I found out that it is not that easy to access the note entrythat associated with a highlight in the desktop version of the software.

In the mobile version of the software, I can just tap on the highlight and I can amend the note that is associated with the highlight, but look like there is no easy way to do that in desktop version of the application beside open the note file and look through the entries and find the one I want.

Does anyone else  having the same issue?

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:49 PM

Stephen Kao:
I found out that it is not that easy to access the note entry that associated with a highlight in the desktop version of the software.

Which sort of 'highlight' are you referring to? If it has a Note marker then it has an associated note (text), which can be readily amended in either app. A simple text highlight has no Note marker and no annotation (text) but can be removed in desktop when you select it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29034
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:08 PM

Dave - I think that Stephen is referring to the ability to easily access the note content of a highlight note, which does not have an indicator. In the iOS apps it is simple to do so... but there isn't a similar capability in the desktop app... unless you add the note indicator.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:30 PM

alabama24:
highlight note

What is a highlight note? The Android app has Highlight and Note, so this facility would appear to be unique to iOS

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29034
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:53 PM

Dave Hooton:
What is a highlight note? The Android app has Highlight and Note, so this facility would appear to be unique to iOS

Since Logos 4.5, highlights ARE notes. There is no difference between a highlight and a note. A note can:

1. Have a highlight visual filter
  2. Have a "note indicator" visual filter
  3. Have no visual filter

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:59 PM

Dave Hooton:

If it has a Note marker then it has an associated note (text)

This is true.

Dave Hooton:

A simple text highlight has no Note marker and no annotation (text)

This is not always true. You can have a note that has content but has a "hidden" note indicator (which is what highlights really are in the first place).

Dave Hooton:

alabama24:
highlight note

Let me clarify some terminology. I can't speak definitively for the desktop program, but as far as iOS and Android are concerned, here's how we refer to things:

• Annotation: A note or highlight; the items that appear in Notes Documents. An annotation can be attached to a reference, a text range, or not attached to anything (and appear only in a Notes Document).
  • Highlight: An annotation that is attached to a text range and has a markup style that is anything except "No highlight". A highlight may or may not have user generated content (title/body text). In the 4.1 versions of the iOS and Android apps, tapping on a highlight will bring up the "quick highlight menu".
  • Note: Any annotation that is not a highlight. In almost all cases, a note will have user generated content (title/body text).
Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 7:01 PM

alabama24:

Since Logos 4.5, highlights ARE notes. There is no difference between a highlight and a note.

See my other post. Smile On the back end, yes, this is true. All annotations are the same type of sync data, but we treat notes and highlights differently in the UI of the apps.

Posts 87
Stephen Kao | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 8:33 PM

Hi Drew,

Even you are not in the PC/Mac development team, can you ask around in the office see if Logos got any plan to improve this UI on PC/Mac, so it will more easy access to the note for a highlight without indicator?

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 8:37 PM

Drew Hannay:

Dave Hooton:

A simple text highlight has no Note marker and no annotation (text)

This is not always true. You can have a note that has content but has a "hidden" note indicator (which is what highlights really are in the first place).

Drew,

Thanks for the clarification. I had used "simple" to indicate a Highlight made via the Highlighting (desktop) tool and was waiting to see if Stephen's 'highlight' was something else (and see if 'bama is right)!

But have we ever uncovered a minefield of terminology (and confusion) since Highlighting data was incorporated into Note files, and Notes/Highlights were refined in the mobile apps.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 10:20 PM

Stephen Kao:

Hi Drew,

Even you are not in the PC/Mac development team, can you ask around in the office see if Logos got any plan to improve this UI on PC/Mac, so it will more easy access to the note for a highlight without indicator?

Yes Stephen, I definitely see what you're talking about in the desktop software. I'll bring it up to someone on Monday (assuming someone on the desktop team hasn't seen this thread before then).

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 14 2014 10:30 PM

Dave Hooton:

Thanks for the clarification. I had used "simple" to indicate a Highlight made via the Highlighting (desktop) tool and was waiting to see if Stephen's 'highlight' was something else (and see if 'bama is right)!

Yeah, I knew my explanation was a little beyond what you were saying but I thought it would help clarify things. I believe what Stephen is saying is that there doesn't seem to be a way in the Desktop software to jump from an annotation in a resource to the Notes Document it's in unless that annotation has a note indicator. On Desktop you do all your note editing from document panels, so you need that jumping ability to do what Stephen wants, whereas on iOS/Android, you can open the annotation editor directly from any annotation in a resource (without jumping to the document).

Dave Hooton:

But have we ever uncovered a minefield of terminology (and confusion) since Highlighting data was incorporated into Note files, and Notes/Highlights were refined in the mobile apps.

I agree that it's quite complex. Smile But one of our goals here is to have a system that's flexible enough to handle everything our power users need, yet simple enough that the casual reader can use it effectively. It's a tough balancing act, and by no means do we do it perfectly, but I think we're getting a lot closer, at least on the mobile side of things.

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:42 PM

I submitted a case to the Desktop team and it looks like they're planning to add a way to go from any annotation to its notes document. I don't know when it will be ready, but it's in the "Planned" state. Smile

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:53 PM

Thanks, Drew. We'll expect it in the "near future"Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS