How can I do that?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 15 2014 9:02 AM

I need to perform a Bible search for all questions addressed to Jesus. I thought about searching for ? or "?", but the question mark is a specialized search attribute and does not produce needed results.

So, how can I search for questions asked of Christ?

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 9:12 AM

Greetings,

I am not sure how to do this in Logos, but I do know that google will bring up search results that answer this question.

danp

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 6:23 PM

toughski:
So, how can I search for questions asked of Christ?

One way is searching the Gospels for terms often used in questions:

if, how, however, what, where, when, who, whoever, whom, why

in Words of Christ and All Bible Text, saving results to Passage Lists, then create a Passage List that has the difference of All Bible Text minus Words of Christ, followed by manually deleting verses that are not questions plus manually adding questions that span verses.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 289
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 6:31 PM

Here's a place for you can start,I Used the clause search "person:jesus person:question" You can choose from any of the 6 choices it came up. Follow the screenshot above closely make sure you type it exactly how I did. Let me know how this works for you?

Posts 289
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 6:34 PM

KS4J what do you think about my clause search idea?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:01 PM

Mike McKnelly:
KS4J what do you think about my clause search idea?

Useful to find some verses.

Difference observation: Mark 11:33 is in Words of Christ and All Bible Text results so difference list does not have Mark 11:33

Should my "Gospel questions of Christ in 2011:ESV" document be published ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:34 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

well, this IS a good place to start, but it also misses quite a lot of situations, like disciples coming to Christ with a request "teach us to pray", which, to me is a question "how do I pray?" but without the "how" word.

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:37 AM

toughski:
well, this IS a good place to start, but it also misses quite a lot of situations, like disciples coming to Christ with a request "teach us to pray", which, to me is a question "how do I pray?" but without the "how" word.

It seems to me that to find all such addresses to Jesus, you would need to go through all the gospels yourself looking for them. I'm not sure there's an automated way to find them all. And it would be a fruitful study going through all of Jesus' life anyway, to see what kinds of "questions" (broadly defined) people address to him, in all sorts of ways and in all sorts of contexts.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:44 AM

Rosie Perera:

toughski:

It seems to me that to find all such addresses to Jesus, you would need to go through all the gospels yourself looking for them. I'm not sure there's an automated way to find them all. And it would be a fruitful study going through all of Jesus' life anyway, to see what kinds of "questions" (broadly defined) people address to him, in all sorts of ways and in all sorts of contexts.

thanks, Rosie.

This is what I am doing right now. What prompted me to start this research is the fact that Jesus  (and the Bible as a whole) had more to say about money/possessions than about heaven and salvation combined. People were coming to Christ with more practical questions rather than theological questions. So, if we today answer questions noone is asking...

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 5:32 AM

I have a few thoughts:

First, looking for "Lord teach us how to pray" is an interesting one, because in fact it is not considered a question - if you look at Cascadia or Open Text syntax graphs, both consider "Teach" in this clause an imperative - a command as it where.

Second, given that, one way to find all these is to Syntax search for imperatives in clauses where the subject is Lord, teacher, etc.

It would also be easy to look for interrogatives, also with Syntax search. You may need to filter out some of the passages found based on who spoke them, i.e. there could be some false positives, but I suspect that you would find this is exactly the kind of search most suited for Syntax search - think about it, you are searching on a category of words used in a certain way (imperative, interrogative) - if not for this, what would ever be the value of a Syntax search?

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 6:28 AM

Don Awalt:
looking for "Lord teach us how to pray" is an interesting one, because in fact it is not considered a question

not technically, so ok, let me reshape the parameters: With what needs did people come to Jesus?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 7:32 AM

toughski:

Don Awalt:
looking for "Lord teach us how to pray" is an interesting one, because in fact it is not considered a question

not technically, so ok, let me reshape the parameters: With what needs did people come to Jesus?

I think the answer is the same - you are asking a syntax question, what imperatives or interrogatives are being addressed to Jesus.How else would you frame this question?  If you try and get an answer on linguistic syntax without using syntax, your results will be somewhat random and incomplete.  Look at opentext and/or Cascadia in verses you have already identified, and see how they are linguistically structured, and build a query.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 2:01 PM

toughski:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Noticed Luke 11:1 was included since "when" is in the verse:

Found Mathew 12:9-10 was not in difference passage list:

Concur difference of passage lists is a decent starting place, but does miss a number of situations so am reviewing and revising, which is a worthwhile study.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 8:27 PM

thanks everyone. your input was great

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS