Collection:

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 17 2014 12:18 PM

How would I make a collection based on a particular subject? For example, I wanted to make a collection of "Total Depravity" or "Total Inability", what "rule would I use or is that possible? Thanks!

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 27036
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:47 PM

The Subjects column includes broad descriptions like Criticism, Interpretation, Creation, Evolution but wouldn't approach themes like "Total Depravity" or "Total Inability". You will have to tag those yourself and base the collections on (for example) mytag:"Total Depravity" or mytag:"Total Inability".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 24
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:49 PM

Probably wouldn't do a collection for this.  You would have to own a number of books with these ("Total Depravity", OR "Total Inability") as the books' subject or title.

This can be done with the GO Box on the home page, just type "Total Depravity".

Also can use the magnifying glass (SEARCH) on the tool bar (Very top left corner) and do a "Basic Search"  on the phrases you are after.  You can save you searches to reuse them

http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/videos/searching/

Posts 24
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:50 PM

Probably wouldn't do a collection for this.  You would have to own a number of books with these ("Total Depravity", OR "Total Inability") as the books' subject or title.

This can be done with the GO Box on the home page, just type "Total Depravity".

Also can use the magnifying glass (SEARCH) on the tool bar (Very top left corner) and do a "Basic Search"  on the phrases you are after.  You can save you searches to reuse them

http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/videos/searching/

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:56 PM

I would use Search to find books which mention these phrases. Then I'd go through all the search hits, open each resource to find out if the context is a significant enough discussion of the topic. If it is, I'd drag that the tab of that resource into a Favorites folder I'd created for the topic. You can organize your Favorites folders to have sub-folders for any topics that you do research on in your library, so you can come back easily to the resources that cover it well.

Posts 27036
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:00 PM

John Zerbel:
Also can use the magnifying glass (SEARCH) on the tool bar (Very top left corner) and do a "Basic Search"  on the phrases you are after.

Basic Search and/or a Library Find can help identify them, but they would have to be tagged for use in a collection.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5464
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 2:14 AM

Rosie Perera:

I would use Search to find books which mention these phrases. Then I'd go through all the search hits, open each resource to find out if the context is a significant enough discussion of the topic. If it is, I'd drag that the tab of that resource into a Favorites folder I'd created for the topic. You can organize your Favorites folders to have sub-folders for any topics that you do research on in your library, so you can come back easily to the resources that cover it well.

How would you differentiate between 'total inability' and 'inability' or 'total depravity' and 'depravity' or 'pregnant' and 'totally pregnant'?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 2:23 AM

Mike Binks:

Rosie Perera:

How would you differentiate between 'total inability' and 'inability' or 'total depravity' and 'depravity' or 'pregnant' and 'totally pregnant'?

Are you asking me a theological question or making fun of the way the OP phrased his question? Or are you asking a question about how to formulate searches in Logos so as to find "total inability" but not "inability" (or vice versa)? I can only answer the latter, so I'll assume that's what you meant.

To find "total inability" but not "inability" of course you'd search for "total inability".

To find "inability" but not "total inability" you'd search for inability ANDNOT "total inability"

But I'm not sure you really needed to ask me that, since I'm guessing you know already. So that leaves me wondering whether it was one of the other motives that led to your question. (Scratching head.)

And since I can't resist a theological question sometimes, "total depravity" is a technical term used in some forms of Calvinism. It's the T in T-U-L-I-P. As for why it was phrased that way rather than simply "depravity" (your "pregnant" vs. "totally pregnant" analogy makes me think you think the "totally" is redundant), look it up in Logos. And "total inability" is apparently also a technical term. I'd never heard of it before, but here it is in the Dictionary of Theological Terms.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:38 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
For example, I wanted to make a collection of "Total Depravity" or "Total Inability"

To find articles in Logos, can search Heading Text and Large Text for:

total BEFORE 1 WORD (depravity, inability)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:53 AM

Dave Hooton:

The Subjects column includes broad descriptions like Criticism, Interpretation, Creation, Evolution but wouldn't approach themes like "Total Depravity" or "Total Inability". You will have to tag those yourself and base the collections on (for example) mytag:"Total Depravity" or mytag:"Total Inability".

Dave,

How would yout set up a "mytag" do not think I have ever done that. Thanks!

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 7:15 AM

Pastor Michael Huffman:

I'm not Dave, but the wiki pages on tagging and collections are helpful. Once you have tagged your resources, "mytag:" is the filter you use for creating the rule to make the collection.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 18 2014 10:20 AM

Timothy Brown:

Pastor Michael Huffman:

I'm not Dave, but the wiki pages on tagging and collections are helpful. Once you have tagged your resources, "mytag:" is the filter you use for creating the rule to make the collection.

Thanks, Tim.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS