Formatting problem within Notes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 19 2014 4:16 AM

I'm a new Logos user after many years using Accordance. Actually, I'm still using Accordance, since it's much snappier when it comes to original language study. 

Anyway, on to my issue.

I've begun using the Notes feature in Logos in preliminary sermon prep. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to set paragraph spacing in Notes, I decided to simply use bullets to help my eye find each blurb. 

But, applying bullets or numbers create some uneven effects.

Here is the "before" shot:

And here is the after shot, with bullets applied:

None of this was pasted, formatted text; it is all typed directly into the Notes pane.

I have selected all the text and set the font and type size.

I have not indented any of the paragraphs, and the un-indent button is grayed out.

The uneven left spacing and dot sizes are simply the result of clicking the bullets button in the formatting bar.

Any suggestions?

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:07 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
I'm a new Logos user after many years using Accordance. Actually, I'm still using Accordance, since it's much snappier when it comes to original language study. 

Welcome to both Logos and this forum. I started using Logos this way, but have gradually shifted to almost exclusive use of Logos.

Gregory Lawhorn:
I've begun using the Notes feature in Logos in preliminary sermon prep.

My experience with notes in both Logos and Accordance is that neither one is adequate for this purpose. Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has stated that his concept for notes is something like short thought jotted in the margin of a paper Bible. Logos has improved Notes beyond that particular vision since 2009, but they still cannot be used for extensive work. Which is why I use a word processor for such tasks.

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:18 AM

Jack Caviness:
My experience with notes in both Logos and Accordance is that neither one is adequate for this purpose.

I understand what you're saying. Notes in Accordance never quite did it for me. It's nice to see my own notes tracking along as I work through a text, which is why I want to use the Notes in Logos as at the preliminary stages. My own sermon writing takes place (most of the time) in Scrivener, but it's nice to have a linked and synced set of notes.

Jack Caviness:
Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has stated that his concept for notes is something like short thought jotted in the margin of a paper Bible.

But it's not too much to ask that the features Logos DOES provide function properly. 

I see that you have a large number of posts, and so I'm happy to rely on your experience. Are you saying that this is simply what Logos does, and there's nothing I can change in terms of formatting?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:33 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
I'm a new Logos

Welcome to Logos Gregory,

Unfortunately, you have stumbled upon something that Logos has never been able to do that well - notes.  Users have been raising issues with Logos' notes since I can remember, and I have been using Logos for, hmmm, let us say for some time now.  If you go to logos' uservoice page (http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5), you will see that notes is the number one item on this list.  NOTE: I do not believe this site is being used because I have not been able to change/update my votes in over a year now.

I will also tell you Logo's company's line when it comes to notes.  They were 'designed' to be like the notes you write in your bible, for example: one word or one sentence notes.

This is not to say that Logos has not listen to their customers nor improving notes; they have.  

This being said, the notes subsystem has been and still is the worst part of the Logos program IMHO.

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:41 AM

That's too bad. I'm no programmer, but it seems that text editing has got to be one of the easier things to do. I mean, there are FREE text editors out there; it's clearly not one of the computer "black arts." 

Maybe you can tell me this, would Logos allow a true link to a text file? That is, is there a way to create a link in a note to a text file that would open with a double-click? I was able to copy in the path information, like with a URL, but Logos doesn't understand what it's supposed to do with it.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 7:07 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

That's too bad. I'm no programmer, but it seems that text editing has got to be one of the easier things to do. I mean, there are FREE text editors out there; it's clearly not one of the computer "black arts." 

Maybe you can tell me this, would Logos allow a true link to a text file? That is, is there a way to create a link in a note to a text file that would open with a double-click? I was able to copy in the path information, like with a URL, but Logos doesn't understand what it's supposed to do with it.

I was a programmer at one stage in my life, and free text editors are free for a reason.  Because of the language requirements that Logos has (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic,etc...), the free text editors simply cannot handle this complexity.  Logos created their own editor because they simply could not find one that would work for them that they liked.

I believe that there is way to link to a document outside of Logos, but I do not know how to do this.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 7:10 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
I am wondering if this will work for you: http://wiki.logos.com/Notes#Creating_hyperlinks_to_documents_in_your_computer

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 9:06 AM

tom:
Because of the language requirements that Logos has (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic,etc...), the free text editors simply cannot handle this complexity

Yes, I understand that (Job 42:6). Thanks for the reality check!

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 9:10 AM

tom:

It does work, thanks! I'm so new to Logos that I'm still getting a basic workflow established, but I'll see what this does for me.

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 2:08 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Tom's comment jarred my memory:

Tom:
Logos created their own editor because they simply could not find one that would work for them that they liked.

OS supplied text editors—especially on the Mac OS—were inadequate to the task of improving notes in Logos. Thus, a few months ago, Logos began writing their own text editor. Hopefully, this will results in frequently-requested improvements to Logos note-taking capabilities.

Now, let me see if I can find a thread dealing with that revelation Hmm

Here's one from a year ago—Important Change to Rich Text Editor coming in 5.1 Beta for Notes, Clippings, etc. 

Could not seem to find anything more recent. There were some improvements in notes, but they are still lacking in many ways. Think I might revive that old thread.

BTW: You mentioned my high post count. Let me point out that the star under my avatar does not mean that I am a Logos employee, nor even an insider. Logos, the company, thought some of us might provide helpful information and thereby lessen their Customer Service costs. For that, we get to sport a star and act like we are knowledgable. Evaluate all things carefully, we are also human Big Smile.

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 2:23 PM

Jack Caviness:
BTW: You mentioned my high post count. Let me point out that the star under my avatar does not mean that I am a Logos employee, nor even an insider. Logos, the company, thought some of us might provide helpful information and thereby lessen their Customer Service costs. For that, we get to sport a star and act like we are knowledgable. Evaluate all things carefully, we are also human Big Smile.

I didn't think you were, but I appreciate the caveat scrutator

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS