Upgrading to Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Steven M. Cullum | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:33 AM

I have Logos 4 Scholar for Mac, and I received an email saying that I have a discount to upgrade to Logos 5. It suggested I upgrade to the Silver version. Why? The FAQ's say I won't lose any features or resources if I upgrade, no matter what version I pick. So, if I just want to have the new look and UI, but don't want to pay for a ton of new resources, am I ok to just choose the basic/cheapest upgrade? I just want to make sure I don't lose anything I am use to having in Logos 4 Scholar Edition.

(I apologize if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere. I just got overwhelmed with all the threads.)

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:39 AM

Steven, not a bad question although it has been asked before.

You can install the free Logos 5 engine by going to this page and clicking on the Mac link.

If you want the full functionality of Logos 5 (that is all the new features to work) you will need to purchase either the Gold package or (probably cheaper) the Minimal crossgrade.

Feel free to ask other questions.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:41 AM

You don't need Starter.
Your options are:

Steven M. Cullum:
So, if I just want to have the new look and UI, but don't want to pay for a ton of new resources, am I ok to just choose the basic/cheapest upgrade? I just want to make sure I don't lose anything I am use to having in Logos 4 Scholar Edition.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:45 AM

You won't lose anything no matter what you do.

You can download the L5 engine for free here:

https://www.logos.com/installation

Some L5 features require databases that only come with various levels of L5 packages.

The minimal crossgrade will give you those databases without a bunch of new resources:

https://www.logos.com/product/28376/logos-5-minimal-crossgrade

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4
Steven M. Cullum | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:56 AM

Thanks everyone. So, why was my suggested upgrade from L4 Scholar listed as L5 Silver? Just so they get more money from me? Or is that the one I really need? I'd rather just get the new software features but not have to pay for a ton of the new resources, so I'd like to not pay anything or pay very little.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:59 AM

Steven M. Cullum:
So, why was my suggested upgrade from L4 Scholar listed as L5 Silver? Just so they get more money from me? Or is that the one I really need?

There is no real correlation between the L4 package names and the L5 package names.  (They don't use the "Scholar" designation anymore)  Logos probably picks the one similar in size and price to the one you originally had.  There really isn't a reason for this though, since you never lose anything.  Mostly it's a marketing strategy.

EDIT: I had L4 Scholar's Platinum, but I upgraded to L5 Silver because it was the best deal for me.  I also added the Minimal Crossgrade to get the feature or two I missed by just getting Silver.  (Gold is the level with the full feature set)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4
Steven M. Cullum | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:08 PM

Ok, that is very helpful! I just wanted to make sure I picked the right one.

So, to recap... Let me know if this is correct:

I don't really have to even pay for the upgrade. I can just download the software. But if I do that, some features of L5 will not work. If I want all the features, I need to pay for one of the upgrade products (cheapest cross grade). No matter what I choose, all the L4 features I've come to know and love will still be there in the new look and feel of L5.

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:14 PM

Steven M. Cullum:
Let me know if this is correct:

Correct.

Dynamic pricing should apply to the Minimal Crossgrade so it may be less than the $159 it is listed for in your case. If you click on the link to that page you should see your 'upgrade' price. This will let you use the new L5 features such as the Bible Sense Lexicon, Timeline, and Clause Search.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:20 PM

Correct:

Steven M. Cullum:
I don't really have to even pay for the upgrade. I can just download the software. But if I do that, some features of L5 will not work. If I want all the features, I need to pay for one of the upgrade products (cheapest cross grade). No matter what I choose, all the L4 features I've come to know and love will still be there in the new look and feel of L5.

In Your situation I would have chosen either Core Datasets or possibly Bronze (the nearest equivalent to Scholar's, see: My Protestant base-package upgrade choice (from OLL)), it contains some of datasets of Minimal Crossgrade and Gold but no books. You can do this in two steps if You want to: first install the free Logos 5 engine. Then if You must have some datasets consider an upgrade.

But probably I would have chosen just Core Datasets, since the best Bible Dictionary is soon coming out: New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.), $140 at pre-pub.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 10110
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:23 PM

Plus the L5 crossgrade is a 'nice to have' but not really needed unless you want it.  You'd do better to download your L5 engine (free) and then sniff around for what you really want/need.

The L4 crossgrade was an absolute necessity; the L5 one is some interesting features.

Posts 4
Steven M. Cullum | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:27 PM

Good to know! Yes, I think the L3 to L4 upgrade confused me, and I thought this one was similar to L5. So, I think I will try the engine first and see if I want anything extra. If so, I'll get the core/cheapest upgrade. Thanks, everyone! You all have been extremely helpful and quick!!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS