Is there a possibility that Logos may release Logos 6 this year?

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 3:39 PM

Denise:
With Libronix, you'd HAVE to run into the burning building. With L5, you could sit idly by with your marshmellows, get another PC and then download L5.

lol!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 3:47 PM

Denise:

Hmmm.  The burning building example might not exactly be in Libby's favor.  

With Libronix, you'd HAVE to run into the burning building. With L5, you could sit idly by with your marshmellows, get another PC and then download L5.

Not necessarily.  If you redownload L3 you can probably sync with the cloud and redownload all of your resources.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 3:57 PM

SteveF:
There has also been an issue regarding IE [Internet Explorer] -- Libronix must use IE to "draw" its windows (to visually "draw" or show resources, etc).  So far few, if any, have been able to get Libronix to work with IE 11 which comes with Windows 8.  There was a patch to help Libronix run with IE 9 and/or 10. I deliberately re-formatted in order to "go back" to IE8.

I didn't see a version of IE8 available for Windows 8.1. So am I correct to assume that I'm out of luck unless I install it on an older machine?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 4:00 PM

Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit, work perfectly for it. If the Windows 7 machine has a newer IE, just find the updates and revert it back!:

Todd Frusti:
I didn't see a version of IE8 available for Windows 8.1. So am I correct to assume that I'm out of luck unless I install it on an older machine?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 4:29 PM

Unix:

Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit, work perfectly for it. If the Windows 7 machine has a newer IE, just find the updates and revert it back!:

Todd Frusti:

Updates are put out there for a reason, reverting back on a computer that is connected to the internet is unwise at best, and asking for trouble.

Just like continuing to run windows XP after April 8th. Maybe not that bad, but almost.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:03 PM

Denise:

Hmmm.  The burning building example might not exactly be in Libby's favor.  

On the other hand, you can back up your personal L3 files on a USB drive, reload the engine, and then recopy your files and you're back in business. With L4/5/x, you have to dl the WHOLE ball of wax. 

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:06 PM

Todd Frusti:

SteveF:
There has also been an issue regarding IE [Internet Explorer] -- Libronix must use IE to "draw" its windows (to visually "draw" or show resources, etc).  So far few, if any, have been able to get Libronix to work with IE 11 which comes with Windows 8.  There was a patch to help Libronix run with IE 9 and/or 10. I deliberately re-formatted in order to "go back" to IE8.

Do yourself a favor and use Chrome. I never liked Firefox, so I kept using IE, but Chrome is "like butter". Stick out tongue

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:46 PM

I am quite happy with firefox. Chrome isn't bad. But firefox is still my preference.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:10 PM

David Paul:
Do yourself a favor and use Chrome. I never liked Firefox, so I kept using IE, but Chrome is "like butter". Stick out tongue

I've been using Chrome since it was released.  In my opinion, IE is just taking up space on my hd. Smile

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:16 PM

Firefox used to be a major memory hog which is why I switched to Chrome early on. Now Chrome is a memory hog and I keep debating but haven't done any testing to see if Firefox has improved over Chrome. How is Firefox vs Chrome at memory usage?

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:30 PM

Randy W. Sims:
Firefox used to be a major memory hog which is why I switched to Chrome early on. Now Chrome is a memory hog and I keep debating but haven't done any testing to see if Firefox has improved over Chrome. How is Firefox vs Chrome at memory usage?

I couldn't tell you how they compare from personal use. No problems with Firefox here.  I do us it occasionally when I need it for an extension that isn't available in Chrome. 

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:33 PM

Randy W. Sims:

Well its not using as much ram as the Logos indexer process lol. But it still is around 300mb after 2 hrs with half a dozen tabs open. Not horrible all in all, and with 32gb of ram, I'm not terribly worried about about programs hogging the ram. How much is your chrome using at the present moment?

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:41 PM

17 Tabs. If my quick tab is correct, that is around 1.6G. Sad

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:05 PM

Hmm... that reinforces my desire to try Chrome on my desktop (lots of ram) and continue to use firefox on my laptop (limited ram).

the following picture is now 10 tabs open in Firefox. Including streaming radio, a few at Logos forums, one at the spreadsheet, a couple at facebook, and a couple at youtube.

Posts 366
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 10:00 PM

As one has stated already, Logos will not state this. I'll verify this, as I purchased L3, asked if there were plans for an L4 in the works; the sales stated there was not, and, within 3-4 months, there it was. 
I've grown some in respect to this issue-- and seeing the more negative side of motives. However, this does not mean I will be welcoming L6, or even L2000, any time soon. And, by soon, I mean, the next 10 years. So, if there is a plan to release yet another base package, as they say on Shark Tank, "I'm out". I love what Logos can do; but, at $600 a whack, for the package I have, totaling over $1000, plus other books, in 3 years, to add yet another base package, just does not make good sound fiscal judgement, in my position. 
So, yeah, while I have grown in judging motives, I can see myself becoming a bit bitter towards Logos, and very quickly. If 6 is due out any time this year or next, I'll be pretty much finished. I'll use what I have until it won't continue working, and I'll be out. 
If Logos takes the high road, and I pray they do, and L6 doesn't come out for several more years, I will be more apt to continue supporting the company. But honestly, in my opinion, there's absolutely no legitimate reason to release another new version. I'm already put off by the L5 Reformation base.
So, all this to say, I hope they are not planning anything soon. 

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 12:02 AM

David Paul:
On the other hand, you can back up your personal L3 files on a USB drive, reload the engine, and then recopy your files and you're back in business. With L4/5/x, you have to dl the WHOLE ball of wax

Or you can back up your personal L4/5/x on a USB drive, follow method 1, 2, or 3 from Quick Installation onto multiple computers from the WIKKI page, and continue to munch away w/said marshmellows, while accessing your notes on your tablet, or even better yet, Windows Surface Pro (which contrary to many rumors, does not run hot enough to start said fire).

As a military Chaplain, I have had to follow above procedures (minus burning building and mashmellows) with  twice while away from internet, and was up and running with no problems.

<><

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 1:49 AM

Batman:
If 6 is due out any time this year or next, I'll be pretty much finished. I'll use what I have until it won't continue working, and I'll be out. 

Why? Just download the L6 (and L7 and L8) engine for free. No need to buy books if you don't want to.

Batman:
in my opinion, there's absolutely no legitimate reason to release another new version.

I can think of at least three very legitimate reasons:

• To keep up with new hardware, new OS versions, and new versions of Word and other programs users use together with Logos.
  • To please the 99.9% of Logos users who wants the software to be continually improved.
  • To stay in business.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 5:33 AM

fgh:

Batman:
in my opinion, there's absolutely no legitimate reason to release another new version.

I can think of at least three very legitimate reasons:

• To keep up with new hardware, new OS versions, and new versions of Word and other programs users use together with Logos.
  • To please the 99.9% of Logos users who wants the software to be continually improved.
  • To stay in business.

Superb analysis Yes

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 6:05 AM

Todd Frusti:
I didn't see a version of IE8 available for Windows 8.1.

I still use Windows 7. [Even with XP, I think I was able I was also able to get L3 to work with IE9]

BUT "parts" of L3 would not work with IE10 even under Windows 7..

It also takes constant vigilance . Windows Update is always trying to slip an IE"x" through to me unnoticed.

Todd Frusti:
So am I correct to assume that I'm out of luck unless I install it on an older machine?

Todd, I really don't know the answer to that.

There is also a L3 Forum here that may have some helpful material.

Very sorry that I'm not more helpful.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 6:45 AM

Yep. My two eagle eyes watch Microsoft always trying to replace my IE6. (Just giving abondservant a heart-attack.)

'Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.'

Remember that?  Initially I thought 'NSA'.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS