Is there a possibility that Logos may release Logos 6 this year?

Page 4 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 74 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:04 AM

For the first time ever I got a personal sales email from a Logos sales guy wanting me to upgrade a package (what is hilarious about it, I had portfolio in L4 and it is "only" Silver in L5).

I think L6 is definitely coming this November.

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:06 AM

SteveF:

There is also a L3 Forum here that may have some helpful material.

Very sorry that I'm not more helpful.

I'll check out the L3 forum.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.  I will check it out and hopefully get L3 up and running again.

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:11 AM

Todd Frusti:

Thank you to everyone for the advice.  I will check it out and hopefully get L3 up and running again.

A Convert!!! All hope is not lost!! Angel

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:22 AM

toughski:

For the first time ever I got a personal sales email from a Logos sales guy wanting me to upgrade a package (what is hilarious about it, I had portfolio in L4 and it is "only" Silver in L5).

You mean they only offered you silver? My sales guy has compared packages to my wishlist before and showed me upgrading is a good deal because I'll gain blah blah blah off my wish list and that will cost only xxx$ instead of xxxx$. That could have been part of it - the things they think you're most likely to be interested in, are in silver.

Write him back and ask him what kind of deal he can make you on portfolio ;)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:32 AM

David Paul:

Yes

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:55 AM

David Paul:

Todd Frusti:

15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cross sea and land to make a single convert, and you make the new convert twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.

Mt 23.15

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10959
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 22 2014 8:01 AM

This illustrates Logos users versus Libby users.  Clearly the text is 'Gehenna' referring to the garbage dump in southern Jerusalem.  The poor would go there to see what they could find (wisely saving money, re-using the earth's resources, keeping warm, etc). Logos users, instead, insert their 2000 years of 'exegetical theology' with 'hell' (an obvious theologically motivated over-write).  And for good reason.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 366
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:38 PM

@fgh
There will come a point in time where an upgrade will be necessary. Every 2-3 years is not that time. As I stated, IF logos updates to 6 this year or even next, I will be done with purchasing any further updates, but, will make use of what i have, until it is no longer supported. 

As far as the second part of the quote, I should have said, if I did not, that there's absolutely no legitimate reason to release a new version, in the foreseeable future. However, to comment on your reasonings:
1. To keep up with new hardware. 
Correct.
2. To please the 99.9% of logos users who wants the software to be continually improved.
Percentages are probably off. And, as we saw with Windows XP, the need to "improve" to a new version was not really there. In fact, the whole idea was to eliminate new versions at all. However, as your next point will show, that backfired, because they need new versions to stay in business. The problem now is, they have stated they will be producing a new version every three years. Well, that too will backfire as the "fanboys" will upgrade just because a new version is out; whereas, the masses will stick with 7 or 8, until necessary, And, by the looks of things, there may be fewer and fewer desktops and laptops as people migrate to tablets. (And, yeah; IF win 9 will work on my ancient (2 year old) laptop, and if the price is as awesome as 8 was ($69 for 9 Pro, with a $30 gift certificate from Amazon; making it like a $39 deal) I'll probably migrate to 9).  
My point is, the software can be continually improved without having to sell an expensive base package. 
3. To stay in business. 
IF Logos were to NEVER produce a base package; maybe. But, they also have other products that will probably support the business aspect. That and, there are many who don't have Logos. Tapping the masses is key here. Not tapping those who already have expensive packages; again, and again. 
Now, I will agree that an upgrade every say 5 years, if the market and the technology changes that much dictates, is fine. 
Also, consider the Tyndales and the Moody Presses and other publishers who stay in business. They make it selling items for far less than the cheapest base package with Logos. Granted they have Bibles and sets that might rival Logos' prices; but, those are more rare, I would say. Again, the point is, I have a feeling a company could survive without having to release new versions every 3 years. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:46 PM

Robin:
My point is, the software can be continually improved without having to sell an expensive base package. 

You don't need to buy "an expensive base package" every time the software is upgraded.  I didn't buy a new base package for L4 nor for L5 but simply bought the minimal crossgrade.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5321
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 4:48 AM

Batman:
The problem now is, they have stated they will be producing a new version every three years.

I must have missed that statement from them.  Does anyone have a link to it ?

Batman:

And it is being continuously improved, you do not have to wait until a new base package is released to receive improvements to the software - improvements that come at no cost.  At the same time if they have spent a number of years building new data sets and tools to take advantage of those data sets then I think it only fair they are paid for them.  And each major upgrade allows you to pay for them without having to upgrade to a new base package if you dont' want to spend the money for new resources. And if you don't want those data sets and new tools you can upgrade to the lastest version of the base software for free without paying anything for the updated software.

Hence  your statement .....

Batman:
IF logos updates to 6 this year or even next, I will be done with purchasing any further updates, but, will make use of what i have, until it is no longer supported. 
... makes no sense.  You can continue to use the software and get free updates to the base software plus the continual updates along the way for free also.  So why would you say you will use the software as it is today until it is no longer supported ? Hmm ... 

The free Logos 5 engine can be downloaded from the following page if you are not sure where to find it:

https://www.logos.com/downloads

You can find details of the minimal cross grade or core data set options for Logos 5 on the following page:

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=minimal+crossgrade  

PS. I don't think you decision to not take advantage of future free updates will have any bearing on Logos decision as to when they determine to release Logos 6.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 1:18 PM

Batman:

1. To keep up with new hardware. 
Correct.
2. To please the 99.9% of logos users who wants the software to be continually improved.
Percentages are probably off. And, as we saw with Windows XP, the need to "improve" to a new version was not really there. In fact, the whole idea was to eliminate new versions at all. However, as your next point will show, that backfired, because they need new versions to stay in business. The problem now is, they have stated they will be producing a new version every three years. Well, that too will backfire as the "fanboys" will upgrade just because a new version is out; whereas, the masses will stick with 7 or 8, until necessary, And, by the looks of things, there may be fewer and fewer desktops and laptops as people migrate to tablets. (And, yeah; IF win 9 will work on my ancient (2 year old) laptop, and if the price is as awesome as 8 was ($69 for 9 Pro, with a $30 gift certificate from Amazon; making it like a $39 deal) I'll probably migrate to 9).  
3. To stay in business. 
IF Logos were to NEVER produce a base package; maybe. But, they also have other products that will probably support the business aspect. That and, there are many who don't have Logos. Tapping the masses is key here. Not tapping those who already have expensive packages; again, and again. 
Now, I will agree that an upgrade every say 5 years, if the market and the technology changes that much dictates, is fine. 
Also, consider the Tyndales and the Moody Presses and other publishers who stay in business. They make it selling items for far less than the cheapest base package with Logos. Granted they have Bibles and sets that might rival Logos' prices; but, those are more rare, I would say. Again, the point is, I have a feeling a company could survive without having to release new versions every 3 years. 

2. I am the 99% on that one... I love that Logos is continually improving the software and giving many of those improvements away free. The basepackages cost money, the software does not. If you buy a base package it is to own more resources (incl datasets which are a special type of resource and not free). I too will upgrade to 9 when its released.

3. Logos is a value added company. They take what moody sells and add value to it. This costs Logos money. If Moody is charging 20$ for a title, then logos pays a significant pct of that and has to charge a few dollars for the value they add to the resource. As Bob (the CEO) said last year they - in a good year - might make 3-5% profit on the resources they sell. Much of this comes from base packages as I understand it.

Finally, take their FREE update, or don't. But don't feel like you HAVE to buy a new base package every time one comes out. I do the math, and frequently what I desire in a base package costs less, and comes with more as a part of the base package than I could purchase the same titles individually. As a result - and if you read my signature you'll know already - I have purchased more than a few base packages. I have about 4500 titles and about 5200$ invested, which means I pay on average only 1.16$ per title. I dare Amazon or anyone else to come up with a model that works, that allows someone like me to buy that many books, add their own value to the titles and have their business continue to thrive. If you're still annoyed that Logos sells books instead of giving them away, then please, don't complain on the forums. I'm tired of addressing and seeing addressed this same complaint that frankly is the result of an individual not paying enough attention to whats been said.

Sometimes Logos is at fault. I've faulted them with things before. But in this instance, they are not. The error lies elsewhere.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 7:02 AM

abondservant:

toughski:

You mean they only offered you silver?

nope. I purchased a crossgrade. My L4 Portfolio "became" a Silver. talk about inflation.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 8:16 AM

toughski:

abondservant:

toughski:

nope. I purchased a crossgrade. My L4 Portfolio "became" a Silver. talk about inflation.

Well, I must confess that "silver and gold have I none."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 8:19 AM

George Somsel:
Well, I must confess that "silver and gold have I none."

Big Smile

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 10:54 AM

toughski:

abondservant:

toughski:

I don't think I understand what you mean, because from my frame of reference that doesn't really happen... But so long as you know and understand where you're at thats whats important I suppose.

Unless they put something in the next set of base packages that I MUST have, I'll be sticking where I am for a couple years. A southern baptist (from a reformed perspective) Base package may sway me. But we shall see I suppose. Even now there are things of interest in the Starter Anglican package, and in one of the Lutheran packages.

Page 4 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS