Organize

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 55
Phelix Lockhart | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 29 2009 7:30 PM

I need help!!! I will start back seminary on January 18th and I need to get organized. It has been a challenge since I started, but now it has came to a head. I had difficult in the last semester and could not find a balance. I am a student, associate minister, husband, father, and I work a full time job. I know that I am not the only one with this problem and I hope that it does not seem that I am complaining. I just want to be able to do it all with God first, family next and everything else to follow. I want to be the best that I can be and I think that Logos 4 can help. I just get overwhelm sometimes and don't know where to start. I know that this is going to be hard work and I am willing toput in the work. I just don't want God or my family to feel as if they are not my priority.

Simply I need to get organize so I can be balance to do it all.

Posts 27031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:37 PM

Why don't you give us your task list for Logos4 and we'll see  what we can do to help.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:11 PM

PhelixLockhart:
I just want to be able to do it all with God first, family next and everything else to follow.

Hi Phelix,

Before I go on, I want to affirm your priorities, God 1st, wife & family next, everything else after that. Those were mine... I've been where you are. Full time job, husband, father, & part time ministry as I went part time through seminary. Logos helped me, tremendously. particularly with language classes. Right click / left click access to the BDAG/BDB lexical entries eliminated all the time I'd have spent just learning how to look up a word. Instead, I spent all my time understanding the meaning.

Do you already have Logos? If so, what version & package? If you've just acquired Logos 4 & you're wanting help in how to use it, perhaps the tutorials will help you. You can find an index to them at http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials .

Here's how I organized myself for seminary...

I learned to use my laptop for note-taking. If they gave us a syllabus, I keyed it in as my overall structure for notes. It usually dovetailed with their lectures. The laptop meant I could have Logos in every class, running in the background behind my open Word document where I was taking notes. My seminary wanted us to use a particular translation (NRSV), so I set up a workspace with NRSV, BDAG, & BDB already open.

The other thing I did (for which I'm thankful) was to get a good study Bible to use devotionally. I brought it to all my classes. As I got special insights into Scripture, I jotted notes in the margin, in addiiton to class notes, etc.

Finally, I for the language classes, I made flash cards for the vocabulary each week. I could've bought them, but the act of writing the language cards actually helped me in the learning process. I cut 3 x 5 cards up in half long ways, & then each half into thirds. I got a lot of flash cards out of a package! Why flash cards? I took them everywhere. If I had dead time in a meeting, I'd pull them out. If traffic was stop & go, I'd pull them out when it was stop. You get the idea.

Hope some of these random thoughts are helpful... Many blessings on your journey.

Christ said, "Be of good cheer. I have overcome the world." And He's ready to help you overcome these obstacles, too.

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 55
Phelix Lockhart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:22 AM

Here is what I have:

Logos4 Platinum w/ WBC, IVP Reference, Theological Journal 1-12, Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, and all this is running on a Dell laptop with windows 7 with 2007 office ultimate.

I know that I am going to have to do a lot of research papers and I also want to use logos4 for studing, preaching and teaching the Word.

Posts 19305
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:38 AM

One suggestion I have is limit yourself to doing research in your top one or two resources in each category (dictionaries, commentaries, etc.) instead of trying to be exhaustive about it. I have Logos Gold, and I already feel that sense of overwhelm you have with all the information available at my fingertips. With Logos Platinum it must be even worse.

Second pointer is one that I received from a professor of mine in seminary which made a deep impact on me: let each study session (sermon prep session, Logos session, etc.) be an occasion for prayer, in fact let it be saturated through and through with prayer. Here's what he wrote in a handout that he gave with a chapel talk he gave on that topic:

Spirituality and Academics for Dummies

Bruce Hindmarsh - July 1998 - Regent College Chapel

"I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will never be shaken." (Psalm 16:8)

·         Begin and end each study session with a small act of consecration, perhaps a phrase such as "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen." These small rituals can act like bookends to your study, or like opening and closing the door to an enclosed garden where you will spend time with Christ.

·         It is a difficult thing to attend to the presence of Christ while studying (far more so than if you are engaged in repetitive manual tasks). Remember therefore, that nothing could be more spiritual than studying, while that is the task to hand, and do it with heart and soul.

·         Have a sentence prayer ready to hand to punctuate your studying, say at the close of a chapter you're reading, or a paragraph you have just written. Life your eyes from the page to God in the natural rhythm of breaking the concentration of your work and utter a short prayer: "Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner," etc.

·         From time to time, take a pertinent passage from your study and slow down enough to memorize it and "ruminate" upon it.

·         Take passages which refer to God in the third person and upon occasion, turn them into second person, and you will  discover you have turned your reading or writing into a prayer. (Compare Augustine's Confessions written in the second person.)

·         Take some time in the midst of particularly intense study periods to pray without words or images as a way of recalling the God who is beyond all we can say or imagine of him. (Think windshield wipers!)

·         Pay attention to the divine choreography between your studies and your relationships because God often comes at you from several angles at once. Refuse to compartmentalize.

The Apologist’s Evening Prayer

From all my lame defeats and oh! much more
From all the victories that I seemed to score;
From cleverness shot forth on Thy behalf
At which, while angels weep, the audience laugh;
From all my proofs of Thy divinity,
Thou, who wouldst give no sign, deliver me.

Thoughts are but coins. Let me not trust, instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head.
From all my thoughts, even from my thoughts of Thee,
O thou fair Silence, fall, and set me free.
Lord of the narrow gate and the needle’s eye,
Take from me all my trumpery lest I die.

C.S. Lewis

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:03 AM

Bill Stonebraker:
I've been where you are. Full time job, husband, father, & part time ministry as I went part time through seminary.

Bill....

You must have a big red S on your chest...I cannot imagine how much stamina that took...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:38 AM

PhelixLockhart:
I just want to be able to do it all with God first, family next and everything else to follow

Phelix, I was where you were as well, but I got it wrong and regardless of what I said, my Church came first. God and I are still working that out with my adult daughter. Just remember, that you can't, but God can. BTW, I would have done a much worse job than I did, if it hadn't been for L2

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:38 AM

PhelixLockhart:
I just want to be able to do it all with God first, family next and everything else to follow

Phelix, I was where you were as well, but I got it wrong and regardless of what I said, my Church came first. God and I are still working that out with my adult daughter. Just remember, that you can't, but God can. BTW, I would have done a much worse job than I did, if it hadn't been for L2

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:00 AM

Phelix, you might have to either drop seminary or the associate minister position at church.  God clearly indicates what matters most; however, we all know that you cannot love your neighbor or the brethren if you are not doing it first with your spouse and progeny.

I am entering seminary at this time.  I am 40 and doing it all online and correspondence.  I have discussed all this with my wife and she is on board.  We have a 1.5 year old child as well.  I have scheduled specific study times that are on both my and her calendars so nothing can interfere with this study time.  If I do not choose to use that study time and something comes up, it is on me and I just have to either lose sleep, or not study; so it is important for me to be disciplined.

I am also beginning my seminary studies with one course at a time, with the goal of completing 5 a year and finishing my degree in 10 years or less.  This I have found appears manageable.  Many think it is a long time, but God has His plan and if I have to stop during that 10 years, so be it; His ways are higher than my ways.

As far as serving in the church, I have chosen things to help with while I am already at church on Sundays.  People at church know I have chosen to begin seminary classes, so during this training and educational period of my life, I will not be as available.  Additionally, these folks expect me to put my family first and will help me keep that balance proper.

I have always found it interesting how seminary, which you would expect only those that are maturing in the Word would pursue it and have the highest regard for Godly priorities, often end up putting it above all else.  By saying I find it interesting isn't that I am beyond that same mistake, but I am certainly seeking to build a fortress around my spiritual priorities so that I can minimize the likelihood falling into that trap.

I will close by saying Logos or not, the above still stands.  Logos is a distant priority in terms of my responsibilities.

If you need any additional guidance or just to run some ideas around my way personally, please do so at:  pflanakin@gmail.com

Pat Flanakin

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:00 PM

Hi Phelix,

A few more thoughts, and blessings to you!

As others have noted, you may have more on your plate than one person can do. My wisest seminary professor said at the beginning of my journey (my words, his thought), "If God has called you to seminary, then what requires REAL discernment is what you AREN'T going to do so you can do seminary." If God has called us to it, He'll get us through it. If He doesn't give us what we need to get through each quarter/semester, then either He didn't do His job (impossible), or wedidn't hear Him clearly on those fewer-than-we attempted things He did call us to do. Your concern about balance prompted me to think these things earlier, but I waited for confirmation through others' posts to you that I should say them. Stay focused on the priorities He gave you. He'll never cause you to "violate" something else He's called you to do. (That was Abraham's faith in Genesis 22.)

Also, Rosie is onto something with her counsel on not requiring yourself to search out EVERYTHING on a given topic. For my research papers, I gradually began to realize that there's a God-driven process of research by availability. In other words, whatever you can find (during the timespace you had to look), that's what God intended you use for the research for a given paper, regardless of what you'd have LIKED to have included.

Logos won't be as much help as you think on the research papers, except for the journal library. Too often, you'll need material that's only available in a theological library. (Except for one A- & a B+, I was a straight-A student.) So don't expect Logos to help you avoid going. Just go back the the thought of "research by availability."

Finally, get yourself into an accountability group that meets monthly. Include your wife in the group. (Mine included my senior pastor, my wife, & 2 friends that knew me & her well enough to know if I was trying to blow smoke about our relationship.) Report to them monthly on how you're doing with your priorities--your relationships with God, wife, family, and your effectiveness in work, seminary, & ministry. If you're in accountability with others, they'll help you avoid most problems. (And who has the time to make all the mistakes, ourselves!?)

Many blessings on your journey!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 15
Thomas Wenck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:57 PM

Phelix,

You've received some meaningful advise in the spiritual and philosophical realm from people who seem to understand your experience.  No need for me to tread on the same ground.  You did, however, ask for specific advise ["could not find a balance", ".want to be able to do it all", "don't know where to start", "I need to get organize"]   I urge you to check out Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen.  I've implemented this program to manage my spiritual discipines, church service, biblical studies, job with a very long commute, and fatherhood as a widowed dad.  It's completely changed the way I view and deal with commitments and goals.  I firmly believe you can not make proper decisions about the use of your limited time, focus, and energy unless you lay out all the options in front of you in an organized way.  And, of course prayer for the Holy Spirit's lead in making those choices as God would have you.  I can honestly say it's changed the way I do life and significantly impacted what I am able to accomplish.

Tom

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:54 PM

Phelix,

I did close to what you are doing, full time ministry position (I think I got paid, but it wan't much), full time in seminary, wife and 2 young kids at the time.  I did a few things right:  1 I didn't care about my grades other than making sure I passed.  I did my best with the time I had for seminary, and I tried to learn as much as possible (that is why you are there, not for A's), but my gpa was not great.  Just on note on that, who cares now, 20 some years later what my gpa was?

2  I went to seminary, but my wife and I talked constantly about what I was learning.  She helped me learn, and it was something we shared, and it kept us communicating.  She basically got the same education that I did.

3  I used the franklin planner then, and I used it "religiously".  It was given to me by a friend my first semester, watching me struggle with time management.  I listened to the tapes that came with the original and it really, really helped me make it through that time.

The list of what I didn't do right .... debt, didn't find the right mentor, was too impressed by style, lots more, but that is a different thread.

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:19 PM

Robert Pavich:
I cannot imagine how much stamina that took...

Hi Bob,

In the end, every quarter it was God who had to get me thru. I figured if He called me to do it, He'd either give me what I needed to get thru, or I was off the hook. Big Smile

He has never failed.

In actualtiy, now that I'm employed as a pastor, I think I affirm the enforced life-values-prioritization. In a way, being forced to go through that process is part of the equipping for ministry. Ministry itself will try to be 1st, if I let it, even before my commitment to God.  It'll try to come before our spouses & family. (My dad was a pastor. Believe me, this can happen.) So learning UP FRONT to establish values that put & keep God & family in front is a part of the training & equipping.

Many blessings to you!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1547
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:32 PM

PhelixLockhart:
I know that I am going to have to do a lot of research papers and I also want to use logos4 for studing, preaching and teaching the Word.

I just finished my semester, get encyclopedias !!! For my research paper my encyclopedias came in soooo handy. I had to use a lot of free ones online. Logos currently does not carrier very many. However there is good news, it seems as though they are working on it. There are a few available in pre pub.... great prices....

My systematic theologies also came in very handy... bulk up on them...

God bless...

Posts 19305
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:40 PM

Thomas Wenck:

I urge you to check out Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen.

+1 Yes  Great book! It makes a huge difference in how organized I am, when I'm following his advice.

I'll also echo others' suggestions that maybe you've bitten off more than anyone can reasonably humanly handle at one time, big red S on your chest or not (unless that S stands for Savior, but that isn't any of us). I'm single and I've done the seminary + part time ministry thing and even that was tough. I cannot fathom throwing in a full time job plus having a family and keeping my first priority to God and second to family. I actually took 8 years to complete my degree in seminary because I found as I worked through the course work, I was changing in more ways than intellectually, and I needed time to process that stuff. Don't cheat yourself out of a season in your life that could be an amazing time of spiritual growth. A friend once gave me this analogy: If you try to squeeze too much in and balance it all, you end up like the baker in Sesame Street, teetering on the stairs trying to balance several chocolate cream pies in his arms, and then collapsing in a heap of pastry at the bottom of the stairs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXeO9_Ec7w). She prefers instead of balance, as in trying to balance everything at once, the word seasons. There are seasons in life for raising a family with young kids, seasons for education, seasons for maximum work output, seasons for writing your life memoirs, etc. Sometimes you have to put off something you really feel called to do until a later season. It doesn't mean God isn't calling you to that, but it might mean he isn't calling you to it right now.

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:45 PM

Rosie Perera:
I actually took 8 years to complete my degree in seminary because I found as I worked through the course work, I was changing in more ways than intellectually, and I needed time to process that stuff.

Amen! It took me from 1994-2002. Trickle feed enabled me to process it. If I'd gone the big gulp route (try to swallow it in 3 years full time), more would have spilled off me than would've been ingested.

Rosie Perera:
There are seasons in life for raising a family with young kids, seasons for education, seasons for maximum work output, seasons for writing your life memoirs, etc. Sometimes you have to put off something you really feel called to do until a later season. It doesn't mean God isn't calling you to that, but it might mean he isn't calling you to it right now.

Amen, again! Eloquently put.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 55
Phelix Lockhart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:47 PM

I really apperciate all of the advice and I will try to read the book "Getting things Done" and the Franklin Planner. I have thought about just doing what I can in the time allowed for school and let my gpa be what it is going to be. I also, thought about taking less hours per semester. I am trying to come to grips about what is best for me right now. I will go into prayer and can you all pray with me for God to lead me in the direction that I need to go. With the input from my wife and you all and God guiding me that everything will workout.

Thanks.

p.s. more suggestion are always welcome.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 11:18 PM

Best piece of advice: don't get stuck reading these forums Smile

It's great to have a (for the most part) helpful and constructive user community but too many people spend too much time online here...

Posts 19305
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:36 PM

Bill Stonebraker:

Rosie Perera:
I actually took 8 years to complete my degree in seminary because I found as I worked through the course work, I was changing in more ways than intellectually, and I needed time to process that stuff.

Amen! It took me from 1994-2002.

Pretty close to my dates: 1996-2004. And I'm still auditing a course here or there since I still live nearby the seminary, and am still having life transforming experiences from some of them.

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 3:01 PM

Hi Rosie,

So how has God led you into giving back the transformation He's given you?

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS