Rearranging Notes into Seperate Note Files

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 25 2014 2:20 PM

After a couple of years of becoming familiar with Logos 4/5 and having accumulated a number of notes on various resources I coming to the realization that perhaps keeping all my notes in the default note files (highlighter pens and emphasis markup) may be less than optimum.

When I ran into a little difficulty with notes a while back (losing notes), Alabama was kind enough to help me though and in that conversation he had explained the whole strategy of separate note files...a file per resource, etc.

Unfortunately I am unable to locate that discussion now.

Can someone assist me with instructions/steps to move my existing notes into separate note files?  Or perhaps Alabama will see this post and can point me back to the original discussion.

Thanks.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 2:33 PM

Hi Steve. to transfer notes from one file to another, you need to open your original note file in one panel in Logos 5, then open your new note file (i.e. where you want to move specific notes to) in a second panel alongside the first.

You need to click and hold on the specific note you need to move (by clicking and holding on the small box at the start of your note - on the left hand side) and drag it across and drop it in the new file document panel.

You'll need to create as many new note files as you need, and name them accordingly.

Unfortunately, this is a time consuming process as you need to move notes one by one at this stage. Sad

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 4:23 PM

Steve:
..a file per resource, etc.

Steve, You'll find the procedure on the wiki. Click here.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 768
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 4:46 PM

Steve,

Here's the discussion that I followed on the subject: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/71146.aspx 

Best practices for highlights and notes

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 7:36 PM

David A Egolf:

Just made your link active to access easier.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3225
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 8:20 PM

Notes in Logos is the worst- I have tired of waiting for a efficient program, am transferring my notes to BW- I have a very substantial $ amount invested in Logos- this by far is the most disappointing feature, and has been the greatest reason for not pursuing further resources.

Notes is the most basic tool for any teacher, preacher or student yet in Logos it is the least productive tool.

MHOP!

Here comes the Logos KGB:)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 8:39 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Notes in Logos is the worst- I have tired of waiting for a efficient program, am transferring my notes to BW- I have a very substantial $ amount invested in Logos- this by far is the most disappointing feature, and has been the greatest reason for not pursuing further resources.

Notes is the most basic tool for any teacher, preacher or student yet in Logos it is the least productive tool.

MHOP!

Here comes the Logos KGB:)

Premier Putin here.  The one who wrote this is obviously in need of a vacation so we have arranged accomodations for him.  With summer coming before too long, we don't wish him to become overheated so we have arranged a nice dacha in Siberia.  Wink

I'm not surprised that you are having trouble if you simply dropped everything into one note file.  I make a separate note file for each chapter I study and a note for each verse.  Occasionally I make a note file based on a subject—e.g., one time I made a note file based solely on every instance where a threshing floor was mentioned in the OT to see whether there was any specific significance in that.  Whatever you choose to do in arranging your notes, try to group each note file along some principle.  Yes, I do have a General Notes file where things get dumped, but this contains such matters as a particular Hebrew word appearing in pause and thus having a different pointing than might otherwise be expected.  I also don't have note anchors appear in texts unless the note file is open (with the exception of the General Notes file) so that my text isn't unnecessarily cluttered.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 5:29 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips and links.  I'm in the process of separating things up.

This is going to take a while.  Sigh ...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS