iPad Air or amsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 for Logos

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 26 2014 3:38 AM

What would you recommend for a tablet that will be primarely used for Logos: the iPad Air or amsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1. At this moment, both are prices 399 EUR here.

Posts 22658
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 4:58 AM

Simon:
What would you recommend for a tablet that will be primarely used for Logos: the iPad Air or amsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1

I have the iPad Air and find it a great platform for the Logos apps.

I also use an Android phone and have the Logos apps on those. For a long time the Android app has trailed in functionality terms but is now pretty close and - in some areas - slightly ahead.

So I am sure you would find either platforms very useful - but hopefully someone with a Galaxy Tab will be able to comment more specifically on that.

Posts 530
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 6:01 AM

I've ipad 2 and iphone 4s and works great!

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 6:38 AM

I use my iPad more than I use my left hand. Not sure I can give it a stronger endorsement than that.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 7:06 AM

If you trust Apple to manage your data and apps e.g. calendar/contacts/etc, go with an iPad probably.  If you want the option of more direct control over your apps, go for an Android tablet. 

Samsung has the best displays in my opinion of the Android tablets or phones in terms of clarity (e.g. the background is actually crisp white not fuzzy, and the pixel density makes text look sharp).  I used a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for a long time that was probably my favorite tablet.  I use my Galaxy S3 phone at least daily with Logos. 

As mentioned above, Android and iOS are pretty much on par in terms of features, so that's not a factor.

Other factors:

- Android apps are generally cheaper (and all the major apps are both for Android and for iOS, though iOS does have more games and kids' apps

- iPads have tons more case accessories

- Both will hold their resale value (Apple slightly better, but resale value isn't what it used to be since Apple started putting the previous generation model in the lower price slot when they release a new iPad)

- Android tablets often have expandable memory (microSD slot) and use non-proprietary chargers, which means cheaper/spares are easy to find (microUSB, though some of the older Samsung tablets used a proprietary charger like Apple does).

Hope that helps.

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:30 AM

I can't speak for the Galaxy because I don't know anything about it but I have the iPad Air and am very happy with it. I use it a lot for reading Logos books, daily reading plan, etc. For stuff beyond that I usually use Logos 5 on the desktop. For a tablet though I think the iPad is hard to beat IMHO.

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:54 AM

Simon:

What would you recommend for a tablet that will be primarely used for Logos: the iPad Air or amsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1. At this moment, both are prices 399 EUR here.

I use our iPad 3 for Logos when on the go and since we have an iMac it syncs nicely with it via iTunes. If you have a Mac as your primary computer I would say go with the iPad Air, however, if you're using a PC, then the Galaxy might be a good choice as well.

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 11:06 AM

Charles Scaglione:

Simon:

I use our iPad 3 for Logos when on the go and since we have an iMac it syncs nicely with it via iTunes. If you have a Mac as your primary computer I would say go with the iPad Air, however, if you're using a PC, then the Galaxy might be a good choice as well.

In Christ,

Charles

This is an important point.  If you plan to buy into the Apple ecosystem then get an iPhone, iPad, i-computer and it will all link up with iTunes and related apps.  If you have or plan to have a different brand phone and/or a non-Apple computer, much of the added value is lost by buying an iPad and I' think you'd be better off with Dropbox or similar instead of iCloud for photo/document stroage, Amazon MP3 instead of iTunes for music, etc, and running those alternative apps all on an Android tablet.  (Note: I'm not sure how all those services work outside the US, just giving some examples I'm familiar with.)

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:02 PM

Just fwiw I use my iPad with my PC, and Laptop. I also have an iPhone. iOS is much friendlier than Android, and there isn't much it can't do that an Android can (and vice versa).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:13 PM

Thanks for the helpful messages. I guess I will go for the iPad Air.

(Actually my preferred choice would be to have a decent app for my Surface RT tablet. In my humble opinion, the Surface RT, with free Office 2013 on it, beats both the iPad and Android tablets, when things like email, browsing, and word processing are the primary things you do with your tablet)

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:14 PM

abondservant:

Just fwiw I use my iPad with my PC, and Laptop. I also have an iPhone. iOS is much friendlier than Android, and there isn't much it can't do that an Android can (and vice versa).

Sure, you can definitely use an iPad with a PC.  But iTunes has some major glitches on PCs, especially in Windows 7 64-bit, that there are fixes for but no Apple-specific solutions, at least as of six months ago.  E.g. unable to install, unable to complete install, unable to reinstall, strange errors that pop up randomly, and so on.  Further, you lose the seamless integration with other programs when you use iTunes on a PC - it's better on a Mac.  But iTunes will definitely function on a PC.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:16 PM

Simon:

(Actually my preferred choice would be to have a decent app for my Surface RT tablet. In my humble opinion, the Surface RT, with free Office 2013 on it, beats both the iPad and Android tablets, when things like email, browsing, and word processing are the primary things you do with your tablet)

A decent Logos app for Surface RT/Metro/Windows Store devices would be great, but I'm not hopeful about it at this point.  I got a Dell Venue 8 instead to get by for the time being because I found one cheap (under $150 US) since the Android app is full-featured enough for 90% of what I do with Logos (reading, markup, basic searches, Passage Guide).

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:22 PM

Daniel Lee:

abondservant:

Sure, you can definitely use an iPad with a PC.  But iTunes has some major glitches on PCs, especially in Windows 7 64-bit, that there are fixes for but no Apple-specific solutions, at least as of six months ago.  E.g. unable to install, unable to complete install, unable to reinstall, strange errors that pop up randomly, and so on.  Further, you lose the seamless integration with other programs when you use iTunes on a PC - it's better on a Mac.  But iTunes will definitely function on a PC.

Ahh... I use windows 8.1. No glitches ;)

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:30 PM

Good to know the glitch is fixed in Windows 8, at least for some.  Per semi-recent posts in the Apple forum (e.g. Nov 2013) it appears to be an ongoing issue for others.

Simon, here's some additional reading if you get an iPad and you have Windows 7 64-bit and run into problems with iTunes.

http://www.jerrytravis.com/560/an-easy-fix-for-itunes-10-5-x64-that-wont-install-on-windows-7-64-bit

http://randomwindowstips.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/windows-7-itunes-9-software-is-not-installed/

Posts 2959
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:50 AM

I have ipad air and it works fine.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:14 PM

Simon:

You can save about 15% off the iPad Air by buying refurbished from the Apple Store. They carry the same warranty as new and have a new back and battery. I bought my iPad 3 and retina MacBook Pro refurbished and intend to purchase an iPad Air refurbished. You would not know they were not new except for the different box they were in.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS