Using Clippings for Sermon Prep

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 129
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:31 AM

I am not sure that it was designed for sermon prep, but I find that creating clippings is the best way for me to gather data during sermon preparation. I have tried different methods (highlighting, notes, and using Word for taking notes), but I keep coming back to clippings. As I look at different resources, I just clip the information I want to refer back to and keep it all together in one document. At the end of my research, I go back through all of those clippings and put together my sermon.

Anyone else use clippings in this way? Any thoughts on a better way?

Posts 216
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:01 AM

Yes

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 1836
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:03 AM

I use a very similar process that you use.

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:20 AM

Tim, I do exactly the same thing.  As I prepare a sermon, I usually spend 2 or 3 days clipping before I even start any type of note taking.  

One thing I have also been doing with clippings is I have been taking advantage of the notes section at the bottom of clippings and just add quick reference notes about that clipping, I have also been reordering the clippings by drag and drop to keep the higher priority clippings at the top. 

I personally think that clippings is one of the most valuable aspects of Logos when it comes to preparing the sermon.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:31 AM

Tim Farley:
I have tried different methods (highlighting, notes, and using Word for taking notes), but I keep coming back to clippings.
I highlight my resources as I read and then I go back and clip the highlights. So I use both. 

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:45 AM

Tim Farley:
I find that creating clippings is the best way for me to gather data during sermon preparation.

That's the method that I use. It mirrors what I used to do with my print commentaries and a dictaphone which the church secretary would then transcribe. I'd often create about 8,000 words of notes that way before sitting down to craft a sermon. Sometimes I didn't refer to many sometimes to a good few.

I then tag the clippings according to my headings to make them more manageable and accessible. Using the Find within this resource option I type say Introduction and only the clippings which I thought might suggest introductory remarks are visible. Very useful.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:50 AM

Alan Macgregor:
I then tag the clippings according to my headings to make them more manageable and accessible. Using the Find within this resource option I type say Introduction and only the clippings which I thought might suggest introductory remarks are visible. Very useful.

Good idea.  I've been considering how I might be able to use the tagging feature in the clippings.  Thank you.

Posts 129
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:08 AM

William:

One thing I have also been doing with clippings is I have been taking advantage of the notes section at the bottom of clippings and just add quick reference notes about that clipping, I have also been reordering the clippings by drag and drop to keep the higher priority clippings at the top.

I use the notes section as well. I use it to record ideas, illustrations, or further questions that may come to mind as I am clipping. I have not used the tagging feature, but that sounds like a good idea. I will have to experiment with that.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:02 AM

Tim, I use clippings in almost an identical way to you.

I REALLY wish the Logos iOS app would allow us to clip things we read, since I do the vast majority of my reading on my iPad, as opposed to being sat at my computer. Hopefully this will be a future update. 

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:06 AM

Paul-C:
I REALLY wish the Logos iOS app would allow us to clip things we read, since I do the vast majority of my reading on my iPad, as opposed to being sat at my computer. Hopefully this will be a future update. 

Yes, please! Big Smile

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 129
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:23 AM

Paul-C:

I fully agree with your wish. I too do most of my reading on my tablet (Android), not at my computer. I keep hoping it is in a future release. Notes and highlighting recently got a major upgrade. Maybe clippings will be next?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS