"Not" Collections

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 80
Pastor Kay | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:04 AM

Some time ago I purchased several of the Perseus collections, when they were free.  They are wonderful resource sets, but wow there are a lot of them, and they tend to pop up when I'm trying to do unrelated things with Logos. "Hiding" them isn't really an option because there are thousands of them and apparently you can only "hide" books one at a time- not by a collection or search.  And besides, there are times I want to use them.

So how can I create a collection that is everything except my Perseus items?  I can create a Perseus collection, and I see I can drop a collection I have into the "minus these resources" part of creating a collection, but the part I don't know how to do is to start a collection that by default includes everything, so that I can then put the Perseus books in the "Minus these" section and have a "Not Perseus" collection.

Thanks!

Posts 412
StephenMcC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:10 AM

Kay, I have been fairly new to L5 and I have found Mark Barnes videos really helpful with these questions and also giving you other tips before you have even thought of them. I suggest you take some time to watch through them and your question and others will be answered.

see http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/ and the drop down from Tutorial Videos (esp Prioritizing)

Posts 80
Pastor Kay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:12 AM

Oh, I should have figured this out- you can just type e into the "start with anything that includes this" box and it'll bring up everything (or I think everything).  And then put the Perseus collection in the "minus" section and there you go.  Well, might as well leave this up if anybody has the same question.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:20 AM

Pastor Kay:
how to do is to start a collection that by default includes everything

E g rating:<6.

To exclude Perseus: rating:<6 -perseus.

Pastor Kay:
apparently you can only "hide" books one at a time

On Mac: select the books, Opt-right-click and choose Hide These Resources. Not sure what Opt would be on PC. Experiment.

However, you can only unhide one book at a time, so you should definitely not hide anything you want to use.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:21 AM

You can also use the collection rule: Rating:<6 -Publisher:Perseus .

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:23 AM

Pastor Kay:
you can just type e into the "start with anything that includes this" box and it'll bring up everything (or I think everything)

No, it won't. Most, but not everything.

A star should work, though. It used to be too slow to use, so I keep forgetting they've now optimized it.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:23 AM

Hi Kay;

I have created a collection named "Full Library:No Perseus" with the following rule "myrating:>=0 -publisher:perseus" (without the quotes). This will list my entire library excluding Perseus.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:23 AM

fgh:

Pastor Kay:
how to do is to start a collection that by default includes everything

E g rating:<6.

To exclude Perseus: rating:<6 -perseus.

Logos has optimized the wildcard character (*) so that it is fast now when matching whole words.  So you can use this to exclude perseus:

* -perseus

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS