why does ICC (Genesis) have extra white space coloumn?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:04 PM

why does (Genesis) ICC has that white extra space on the right even though I chose my "coloumn as none" ..

I don't think I can follow the commentary .. very very difficult to understand the flow of book..(almost impossible)

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:44 PM

It appears that ICC Genesis is laid out in two columns (the left column is the main commentary text and the right column is verse-by-verse text critical comments), so there is no way to get rid of that layout. But at least it does fill up the entire width of the panel if you choose Columns: 1 instead of Columns: None. So that's more readable.

Other volumes in the series do not appear to force the 2-column layout. It seems odd that the Genesis volume has to. I think it ought to be changed.

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 31 2014 4:23 PM

May i request that Logos team fix this please? 

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:22 AM

mike:
May i request that Logos team fix this please?

There is an active case for this issue in Development. I have included this forum link to the case so that we will update you once this issue is fixed. Thank you! Smile

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 1 2014 10:26 AM

thanks angela

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 9:20 PM

Any idea when this gonna be fixed?

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 8:25 PM

Almost a year and no fix on the commentary..

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 9:55 PM

This layout was done by design. Of course, it must be going on a decade ago, so it's an older design. Tables worked a little differently in our software when this was made. But the reason Genesis was done this way was that the verse-by-verse sections of the print had a split between less-technical commentary on the top of the page and more technical commentary on the bottom, with each section flowing independently. Because our resources scroll, instead of being page-replicas, we basically had to choose between doing this in two columns and lining up the verses horizontally, or splitting this commentary into two books, requiring the user to 1) be aware that this commentary is split in two, and 2) set up a layout with two linked windows open to attempt to simulate the experience of reading the book.

In principle, this is no harder than having to be aware that some volumes of the Gottingen Septuagint have two apparatus resources instead of one, for example. But at the time, we'd never split a commentary into two resources before. It seemed likely that most customers would just miss the fact that opening one volume of ICC Genesis was only showing half the content. We considered, but rejected, putting the two blocks one after the other for each section (putting them one after the other for each verse would destroy the flow of both sections), because our software works best when there's one milestone for each reference. Having two milestones for each verse, separated by a large amount of text, is a pretty good way to make sure that the second milestone doesn't show up in any reports or is never navigated to on a click, etc. The column approach lets you navigate to both parts of the content on a verse with a single click, while still making it possible to read each section straight though to follow the flow of a whole column, even though you have to skip some whitespace to do so. It seemed the best compromise to me at the time, and I guess it still does - short of writing lots of new code for the resource display engine to simulate these types of complex layouts in scrolling resources.

That being said, it'd be nice if the tables could be reformatted a bit so that they resized with the width of the window without having to change the column view.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS