Preparing your library, this may take awhile...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 17
Greg Puttmann | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 3 2014 1:55 PM

I love Logos, I really do, but sometimes I get frustrated by the wait. I got off work early from my day job--I'm a part-time local pastor--and wanted to work on my sermon before dinner.  But, NO! I've been waiting on Logos to load for the last 5 minutes watching the circle go round and round and looking at the message, "Preparing your library, this may take awhile..."

Does anyone else have this problem?

7 minutes and counting.  I think I'll shut it down....no, wait it just came up.  Sheesh 7 minutes.

Greg

Posts 2054
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 3:01 PM

Logos is an amazing program.  Nothing is equal to it.  I love it like crazy.  It's much faster than before; we remind ourselves of that often and give thanks.  That is all good good good.  I bought computers built for speed with SSD just for Logos because I use Logos excessively.   But when it comes to general software speed and performance...ahhhh...shhhhhh - we don't speak of that.  We, like Paul, suffer joyfully.

But if necessary and if you are in a big hurry you can do what I do (this is under the table, so I will bury it in yet another layer or two of parentheses: ((use free software like Eee-Swwooooorrd, without many add-on modules.  Zip!))).  Alternatively, (using no parentheses) Google it.

Something about that infernal split second waiting at every turn in Logos, the un-sportscar-like responsiveness, that seemingly interminable wait for Logos to start all have an annoying "iTunes" feel. Driving Logos is much like driving the most amazing milk truck ever built, or sometimes, more like just driving the entire unmilked cow, when most of us, these days, expect zippy little red sports cars; or, to use another analogy, Logos performance feels like reading an annoying, run-on, too-long, doggy sentence with far too many commas.

Nevertheless, Logos is an amazing program that, once up and steaming and can crunch a lot of information in astounding ways. So, like Paul, complain (in parentheses, if you must), and live with all the commas in Logos, and now and then deliver a Paulian Galatian polemic in hope of waking someone over there in sleepy Rip Van Bellingham.             

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 3:48 PM

The amount of stuff the software has to do to bring us the level of functionality it offers is pretty incredible.

As I understand it, they can decrease indexing time (which slows searches) or have a slightly longer indexing time, and faster searches (the current paradigm).

Maybe people without an SSD would argue this point with me, but the current paradigm is my preference, and it is not all that slow on my computer (amd octocore, 32gb ddr3, sata 3 ssd with a sandforce controller). In fact, I'd be down for giving up more system resources (I wonder if it could be limited to a percent - say 10, or 20% of available processing, and memory - currently it barely utilizes my resources so as not to impact the user experience I'd guess) to increase speed...

But then I have the processing and memory overhead available to spend on such things.

Sounds like you had an automatic program update, something you can schedule now, and may help keep index maintenance from conflicting with sermon prep.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 4:28 PM

Greg Puttmann:
7 minutes and counting.  I think I'll shut it down....no, wait it just came up.  Sheesh 7 minutes.

Only 7 minutes - I've waited up to an hour for it to completeBig Smile. It is a known 'irregularity' but you need to wait a little longer before restarting the computer (or killing Logos), which is a known fix.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:40 AM

I am doing a fresh installation on my new laptop. Currently "Preparing Your Library" is at 6+ hours and going. I will wait for at least 14 hours before doing anything drastic. On my desktop with a SSD drive the process only took 3 hours. The laptop hard drive must slow the process more than I realized. Makes me appreciate the SSD drive.

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 2:13 PM

Bill, how many resources do you have?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 26458
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 2:43 PM

Greg Puttmann:
Does anyone else have this problem?

For years neither indexing nor preparing your library were problems for me. Unfortunately, in recent months it has - and I don't have a particularly large library.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 4:36 PM

I stand before the microwave and shout HURRY UP!

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:38 PM

Greg Puttmann:
wanted to work on my sermon before dinner.  But, NO! I've been waiting on Logos to load for the last 5 minutes watching the circle go round and round

Gregg, just wondering if it would help to turn off "Automatically Download Updates" in your program settings?  I've found that with this turned off I don't wait as often. 

When dinner is ready, you can type "Updated now" in the command box so Logos can download your updates and prepare your library while you're away from your computer. Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS