Is there a way of highlighting in Louw Nida?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 3 2014 6:47 PM

Is there a way of highlighting the verse which corresponds the word I am searching in Louw Nida  like in the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament?  

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9467
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 6:57 PM

Click on the Visual Filter icon on the L-N resource panel (the three interconnected circles) and select Links to Open Panels. This will highlight the verse you are currently located in in L-N if it is referenced there. Is this what you are looking for?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:18 PM

Hi mark, no,what I am looking for is  by right clicking   from the interlinear to show up highlighted in a new window like the  above mentioned lexicon.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9467
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:30 PM

I would have expected this to work, but it seems when you have the interlinear display or the ribbon display open, L-N loses the highlighting. Perhaps this is a known issue. If not, it would be good to know if this could be fixed so L-N works like BDAG in this respect.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 3:11 AM

[quote user="Mark Smith"]it would be good to know if this could be fixed so L-N works like BDAG in this respect.

[/quote]

I hope some one from Logos may have seen it.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3186
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 11:51 AM

Hi Tes/Mark,

Can either of you give me reproduction steps along with expected behavior? I'm not quite following what you're trying to do at this point.

Posts 9467
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 6:25 PM

Tommy:

Tonight I am finding the results inconsistent. What I did was open NASB95 and opened the interlinear ribbon. I then right clicked and selected Louw-Nida and clicked on the link to the Louw-Nida resource. When that opened to the entry for that word, if there was a reference to the passage I just was in, it would not be highlighted in pink. If I did not have either the ribbon or the in-line interlinear open and right-clicked and went to the L-N resource, the reference was highlighted.

Tonight it seems a bit more interesting. With the ribbon open and at James 2:9 I right clicked on 'partiality' and L-N opened with the reference highlighted. If I close L-N and click on 'stumbles' in the next verse (Jas 2:10) and repeat the same steps, L-N opens and the verse is not highlighted.

The same anomaly occurs if I use the line-by-line interlinear rather than the ribbon.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24500
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 10:58 PM

Hi Mark

Mark Smith:
With the ribbon open and at James 2:9 I right clicked on 'partiality' and L-N opened with the reference highlighted. If I close L-N and click on 'stumbles' in the next verse (Jas 2:10) and repeat the same steps, L-N opens and the verse is not highlighted.

To get to "stumbles" did you select the verse (left-click) and then right-click on "stumbles" or did you just right-click on "stumbles" in the main Bible text?

Depending on which you do the locator information in NASB either stays on James 2:9 or moves to James 2:10.

And the word is highlighted if the NASB locator shows 2:10 but not 2:9 - which is, I believe, correct behaviour.

Graham

Posts 9467
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 7:01 AM

Graham, you are correct. I was unobservant. I can't recall what I did originally but what you say is correct. Linking to an open panel require the verse to be the focus before right clicking.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 7:57 AM

Peace, My Brothers!                *smile*

What a loverly Saturday morning here in Eastern Canada  ...  I DO INDEED send warm greetings ...

Just for the fun of it this morning, looking at this thread, I thought I'd try it also and was tremendously pleasantly surprised when it showed up the way -- I think! -- that Tes wanted it ...    please notice the pink highlighting in Louw -- just like it does in BDAG

I'm not at all sure what I did -- if anything -- but it does seem to work for me ...

SceenShot

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 8:00 AM

Addendum .......              Mark, if this is valid  ..............             then ...   it would certify -- and validate -- your first post in this thread ...                   You were correct .......      You were "right on"!!!            (in your comment about the Visual Filter Icon  .... )

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 338
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:15 AM

Hello Milford, it's Sunny and almost 42 degrees here in Wisconsin, but cooler by the Big Pond (Lake Michigan).

It didn't work for me until I clicked on visual filter in Louw Nida, then it worked using the NiV84, both with and without the interlinear ribbon. Worked also in the Lexham Lexicon to the Greek NT, again, after I turned on the visual filter. I didn't know about this, and am pleased by the knowledge gained!

Blessings

Posts 9467
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 10:16 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
      I'm not at all sure what I did -- if anything -- but it does seem to work for me ...

Notice that your verse locator shows James 2:9. So Links to Open Panels would show the reference in L-N.

Click on 2:10 so that your locator box shows James 2:10. The highlighting on 2:9 should now disappear. If it doesn't, scroll a line or so in LN and it will. Because the highlighting sometimes persists (without scrolling) and sometimes doesn't, that is where confusion arises, at least for me. I am not sure what causes this anomalous behavior but it led me to think that highlighting wasn't working as it should. I think it is. I just can't explain the occasional persistence of the highlight in L-N when you click on another verse and make that the focus verse in the locator bar. Perhaps someone can explain this.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:15 AM

Thanks, Mark!             I'm getting the exact same action and reaction ...

I do not understand also!           So...      I agree with you ...

Perhaps someone can explain this.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:18 AM

Ralph Mauch:

Hello Milford, it's Sunny and almost 42 degrees here in Wisconsin, but cooler by the Big Pond (Lake Michigan).

It didn't work for me until I clicked on visual filter in Louw Nida, then it worked using the NiV84, both with and without the interlinear ribbon. Worked also in the Lexham Lexicon to the Greek NT, again, after I turned on the visual filter. I didn't know about this, and am pleased by the knowledge gained!

Blessings

Peace, Ralph!                    Am also pleased with knowledge gained!               *smile*                       Helps keep me alert and sharp for the things I need to "face" in the future, eh?!                             Logos 5 certainly -- like a beautiful diamond -- has lots and lots of facets!

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 6:58 PM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Mark

Mark Smith:
With the ribbon open and at James 2:9 I right clicked on 'partiality' and L-N opened with the reference highlighted. If I close L-N and click on 'stumbles' in the next verse (Jas 2:10) and repeat the same steps, L-N opens and the verse is not highlighted.

To get to "stumbles" did you select the verse (left-click) and then right-click on "stumbles" or did you just right-click on "stumbles" in the main Bible text?

Depending on which you do the locator information in NASB either stays on James 2:9 or moves to James 2:10.

And the word is highlighted if the NASB locator shows 2:10 but not 2:9 - which is, I believe, correct behaviour.

Graham

Hi Graham, could you please perform a screenshot ,so that I may undestand how it works?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 24500
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:36 PM

Hi Tes

Tes:
Hi Graham, could you please perform a screenshot ,so that I may undestand how it works?

First shot is right-clicking on the word "partiality" from James 2:9 and selecting the L-N lookup. Note that the verse locator shows James 2:9

The L-N lexicon shows up with the verse highlighted

I then right-click on "stumbles" in verse 10 - note this doesn't change the verse locator - and select the L-N lookup

When the lexicon finds the term the verse 10 isn't highlighted because the locator bar in the Bible hasn't moved

If I then click on verse 10 in the Bible, the locator bar is updated and the verse is then highlighted in the lexicon

Hope this helps, Graham 

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 3:45 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Tes

Tes:

First shot is right-clicking on the word "partiality" from James 2:9 and selecting the L-N lookup. Note that the verse locator shows James 2:9

The L-N lexicon shows up with the verse highlighted

I then right-click on "stumbles" in verse 10 - note this doesn't change the verse locator - and select the L-N lookup

When the lexicon finds the term the verse 10 isn't highlighted because the locator bar in the Bible hasn't moved

If I then click on verse 10 in the Bible, the locator bar is updated and the verse is then highlighted in the lexicon

Hope this helps, Graham 

Thank you Graham I appriciate your help,But I don't know what is wrong here I don't see the highlighting.Here is the screenshot.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3151
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 3:46 AM

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 24500
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 6:38 AM

Do you have "link to open panels" checked in the lexicon?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS