Audio Bibles: a plea for better pronunciation

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 5 2014 7:13 AM

Today I was listening to the ESV audio Bible in Logos. Generally, I really like the recording. But I would suggest that in future editions (or if other audio English Bibles come out) better care be taken to educate the readers about basic pronunciation especially of Hebrew words. 

When I hear Eeleye, Eeleye, lama sabachtaneye, I cringe. I don't think it is necessary to have finer Hebrew or Greek sounds (or in this case, Aramaic) properly pronounced. I am even ready to accept "Eeleye" since this is how the prophet is now known in the English world (and to make the crowd's misunderstanding more intelligible). But at least say, sabachtanee!

I suppose this is not the most urgent of the issues in the world today, but I think that generally speaking, most English readers do not do a very good job at reading foreign names. This is often the case in church readings. Considering the investment that goes into making a quality audio Bible, why not make it right and have it serve to better educate rather than reinforce errors?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 8:44 AM

Francis:
Today I was listening to the ESV audio Bible in Logos. Generally, I really like the recording. But I would suggest that in future editions (or if other audio English Bibles come out) better care be taken to educate the readers about basic pronunciation especially of Hebrew words. 

Agreed. I listened to this in some OT passages and found the mispronunciation of personal names and place names very distracting. 

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:01 AM

This is precisely the reason I have said I would prefer that the Hebrew Audio Add-In not see the light of day. There is virtually 0% chance that it will produce satisfying results for anyone who has a modicum of Hebrew knowledge.

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 10:58 AM

Francis:

There is one major problem with your request: Logos won't be producing those audiobooks. The ESV audiobook is directly from the publisher. If revisions are made, it will come from the publisher. Presumably all other audiobooks will come from publishers as well. The exception to this is the LEB. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 1:46 PM

David Paul:

This is precisely the reason I have said I would prefer that the Hebrew Audio Add-In not see the light of day. There is virtually 0% chance that it will produce satisfying results for anyone who has a modicum of Hebrew knowledge.

Is there a particular that you think gets it right? Are there any speakers you'd actually recommend recording?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 6 2014 7:55 AM

I liked your original post better.Big Smile

In response to that: Yemeni might be interesting. I believe it pronounces the aleph's and the ayin's, and separates more letters with and without the dagesh than does most other pronunciations?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 6 2014 8:41 AM

fgh:

I believe it pronounces the aleph's and the ayin's.

Most microphones, or people for that matter, won't pick up the difference.

But I would strenuously object if it's one of those Texan pronunciations. Smile

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 5:16 AM

Vincent Setterholm:

Is there a particular that you think gets it right? Are there any speakers you'd actually recommend recording?

Not really, no.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS