I see New Testament Commentary Survey, 7th ed. on prepub

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 501
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:48 PM

Just bought the 6th edition on sale and see now that there is a 7th edition in pre pub. Am I likely to want the newer one? Thinking I could get them to refund the few bucks I spent and wait. D. A. Carson will probably go far again next year. I should note it is part of Baker Academic Biblical Studies Upgrade (6 vols.).

Is there an Old testament version?

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:58 PM

SHotchkiss:
Thinking I could get them to refund the few bucks I spent and wait.

Logos has a 30 day money back refund.

Use that option and have them credit your account and use it for the new one.

SHotchkiss:

Not familiar with the resource so I cannot speak to it.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 8:17 PM

The OT counterpart came out a year ago: http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Commentary-Survey-Tremper-Longman-ebook/dp/B00BQYK2H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397013374&sr=8-1&keywords=old+testament+commentary+survey

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:03 AM

SHotchkiss:

Old Testament Commentary Survey, 5th ed.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:00 AM

The new OT Commentary Survey (in print) is in want of a more extensive edit and updating. There are several places where a commentary series from the 90s or early 2000s, for example, is referred to as "new" or "recent," which is clearly a holdover from the previous edition. It also misses a couple important new offerings published since the previous edition. It includes a 1-5 star rating system (although one unfortunate commentary got no stars!) that is not always consistent or fully explained. The layout is a little cleaner and easier to scan, and it's still a handy reference, but I find the NT counterpart more thorough and informative.

And there are some good updates in the new (7th) NT edition, so it's probably worth it to own that one.

If you want to read more, I actually reviewed both in print more fully, here (OT) and here (NT).

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:56 AM

I agree - the new NT survey has enough updates to make it worth your while including more comprehensive coverage of the Pillar series, the ZECNT among others 

Abram K-J:

The new OT Commentary Survey (in print) is in want of a more extensive edit and updating. There are several places where a commentary series from the 90s or early 2000s, for example, is referred to as "new" or "recent," which is clearly a holdover from the previous edition. It also misses a couple important new offerings published since the previous edition. It includes a 1-5 star rating system (although one unfortunate commentary got no stars!) that is not always consistent or fully explained. The layout is a little cleaner and easier to scan, and it's still a handy reference, but I find the NT counterpart more thorough and informative.

And there are some good updates in the new (7th) NT edition, so it's probably worth it to own that one.

If you want to read more, I actually reviewed both in print more fully, here (OT) and here (NT).

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 11:53 AM

Are most collections still broken-up in six months? 

If yes, then Carson's 7th ed. may not be available for purchase separately in Logos format until 2015 - or never if this resource is not available outside the collection.

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:15 PM

I own both the 6th (in print) and the 7th (in a competitor electronic format).  The 7th is more up to date and worth it IMHO.  He interacts with the wealth of commentaries that have come out in the past 6-7 years...which is considerable.  That said, I find the formatting of Carson's NT survey to be horrible.  Longman's OT survey is much much better. 

I normally don't purchase outside of Logos, but this resource is perfectly acceptable in an alternative format.

I just wish someone would pick up where John Glynn left off with his last version in 2007...that was the best survey I've ever seen hands down.  I had thought some DTS faculty were going to revive it, but I haven't been able to find any information about it in quite some time. 

Posts 2206
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:19 PM

What is the Pre pub link?

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:35 PM

Mark:

What is the Pre pub link?

Baker Academic Biblical Studies Upgrade (6 vols.)

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS