search help: double vocative

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:05 AM

I am trying to put together morphology searches for both the LXX and the BHS/WIVU looking for instances of the vocative being repeated or a doubling of the same indeclinable noun (i.e. Absalom Absalom). Has anybody done this kind of search? Can this be done with morph search or does should I try syntax search? 

So far my efforts have come up with thousands of hits and not at all what I am looking for.  I am trying @NP WITHIN 1 WORD @NP in BHS/WIVU & LXX Lexham  for lack of a better option. 

I am really unclear how to use the syntax searches. :-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Tim 

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:11 AM

for that matter, if I could do it in English I would be satisfied. 

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 3:10 PM

I think the syntax search can get you what you're looking for. Plop down a clause, because you want to weed out places where adjacent names are actually part of separate clauses, then put two segments inside it, one on top of the other making sure that 'match skipped levels' is checked (because you're not specifying phrase structure between the clause and the segment). Specify the morph of the first segment as a proper noun (type @ in the morph box to load up the morph picker and click 'noun' and 'proper'). Then go to the second segment and scroll down to set up an agreement rule specifying that the lexeme should match the first segment. In either or both segments, you can then group-select the 'text types' for all the direct speech options. Since the whole clause will be returned by the search, you might also turn on the option for the segments to 'highlight search results' to make those stand out.

Once you have a search, you can tweak it to catch more hits or fewer.

This is what my search looks like:

Here's what I got:

Posts 24560
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:38 PM

Tim:
I am really unclear how to use the syntax searches. :-/

The Syntax search has an Agreement operator to simplify matching of words. In the NT

I've used Terminal Node instead of Word because it is very flexible e.g. you can specify Noun type without using morphology.  I've matched Case and part-of-speech with lemma.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24560
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 7:20 PM

The OT is slightly more flexible and I've combined Segment (= word) matching with the "echo" phrase in which only two words are echoed or repeated (Hebrew could repeat 2 or 3 times for emphasis).

You can add morphology (eg. @NP) to further restrict the results.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS