My students don't know what carbon paper is.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:23 PM

I heard a professor make this statement right after he said "paper books will likely be obsolete in 50 years." It got me thinking he was probably right. The Logos community is both scholastic and digitally minded and while books may disappear in 50 years will bibles? Many preachers are already using digital bibles in the pulpit and those in the congregation are following on their phones.

I found a video on Youtube that was interesting (interesting to me at least). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySg9LuqLSGQ

Is the loss of paper really a bad thing?

Posts 763
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:03 PM

We'll have to explain to our grandchildren why we 'cc' or 'bcc' our email. (How exactly does the email system 'cc' your text?)Big Smile

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:12 PM

Carbon paper?
Is that like a screen made of graphene or something?

<gdr>

Posts 10785
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:33 PM

Well, obviously some of us are younger than some others of us (if we use 'grandchildren' as the metric).  I guess carbons went out, first with type writers, held on for a while with multi-color forms, and finally disappeared.

I gripe a lot when a site wants you to 'print' something and send it to them.  We have a printer, but the ink keeps drying up.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28760
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:36 PM

My seamstress daughter-in-law still uses carbon paper ... you're just looking in the wrong industry.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1639
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:04 PM

Kent:
I heard a professor make this statement right after he said "paper books will likely be obsolete in 50 years." It got me thinking he was probably right. The Logos community is both scholastic and digitally minded and while books may disappear in 50 years will bibles?

I remember the 1980's and 90's when they were saying that computers would lead us to the paperless office.  Yet I have never worked in one.  Instead it seems that Computers have been used to create masses of paper...

And this is what I see at church too.  Yes, more is done by computer projected overheads than could be imagined not that long ago.  Yet the printed weekly service orders while a bit shorter than they were for a while, are still longer than when I was growing up.

In short, while I expect things to continue to change, I will believe print is going away when I see it. 

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:20 PM

What I learned through buying the same music first through an LP or 8-track, then a cassette, then a CD, then a digital download is that it's the content that's important, not the platform it's delivered on because the platform will change.

I was thrilled with 90-minute cassettes because I could make a great mix tape that might have held about 20 or so songs. Now, on a phone the size of a cassette, I can hold hours and hours of music. And on a mini-hard drive just a bit bigger than a cassette, I can hold my whole collection of almost 20,000 songs. So while the cassette was cool back in the day, I don't miss it or think my kids really need to know what one is. (They do, but that knowledge doesn't gain them anything significant at the moment.)

Same with paper... I won't miss it as long as I can get the content I want because it's the content that's important.

My concern is more about people wanting to read the Bible in the first place, not how they actually do it. Content vs. Platform.

As for not knowing what carbon paper is, each generation doesn't know things that were common to the generation before it. It always strikes us as odd when the younger generation doesn't know something that was so common for us. But our parents and grand-parents could come up with their own list that would make us seem just as clueless about things that were common in their day.

Posts 763
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:37 PM

mwk67:

As for not knowing what carbon paper is, each generation doesn't know things that were common to the generation before it. It always strikes us as odd when the younger generation doesn't know something that was so common for us. But our parents and grand-parents could come up with their own list that would make us seem just as clueless about things that were common in their day.

We'll soon be several paradigms away from being able to explain what "Mickey's hands" have to do with telling what time it is.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:22 PM

I'm disappointed that my granddaughter doesn't understand the use of a button hook.  Sad

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10785
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:58 PM

I'm just surmising she doesn't watch/play football?

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 18863
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:58 PM

Kent:
I found a video on Youtube that was interesting (interesting to me at least). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySg9LuqLSGQ

Interesting. That's over five years old, and yet still interesting to us. So maybe technology isn't moving as fast as we think.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 10:30 PM

Rosie Perera:

Kent:

Interesting. That's over five years old, and yet still interesting to us. So maybe technology isn't moving as fast as we think.

I like the music—Satie, Gnossienne 1

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:09 AM

Try explaining the mimeograph also.  School today must not be the same without it. Smile 

Posts 18863
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 12:22 AM

David A Egolf:
We'll have to explain to our grandchildren why we 'cc' or 'bcc' our email.

Our children won't be using email anymore, let alone our grandchildren. Kids these days hardly even know what email is. They use texting to communicate. There's no 'cc' or 'bcc' with texting. My cousins once-removed, who are in their late teens and 20s, all have email addresses but never respond to email. I'm guessing they will be the last generation to even have email addresses. Even Facebook is passe among them.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:33 AM

Kent:
My students don't know what carbon paper is

If they're on Mac I bet they know what Carbon Copy Cloner is.

MJ. Smith:
My seamstress daughter-in-law still uses carbon paper

I still use them occasionally.

Ken McGuire:
Instead it seems that Computers have been used to create masses of paper...

Yes

Ken McGuire:
the printed weekly service orders while a bit shorter than they were for a while, are still longer than when I was growing up.

When I grew up, those who didn't know the order by heart looked in the hymnal. Now all parishes seem to force leaflets on you. Sometimes they're reusable, but sometimes they print new ones for every single Sunday. I hate them! Besides being distracting and a waste of paper, if someone like me can't do without, there's something very wrong with the Mass! The other Sunday I managed to sneak in without taking one -- and don't you think that within a minute or two, someone came rushing to put one beside me nevertheless! The only times they're useful are when there are more people in church than there are hymnals for, and for days that stand out, like the Easter Triduum.

mwk67:
while the cassette was cool back in the day, I don't miss it or think my kids really need to know what one is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 5:25 AM

Ken McGuire:
I remember the 1980's and 90's when they were saying that computers would lead us to the paperless office.  Yet I have never worked in one.  Instead it seems that Computers have been used to create masses of paper...

And those who sell laser toner cartridges still have nice incomes Geeked

I still remember wide-spread predictions that television would spell the death of the movie industry—on second thought, that may have been a blessing if it had actually happened Wink

Posts 166
Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 5:39 AM

Kent:

Is the loss of paper really a bad thing?

Yes, at least from a legal/business perspective. From my experience in the tech world, working with banks, legal offices and personal property assessment agencies, there is still a demand for paper documents because they can't be tampered with directly. 

Digital media can be hacked, changed, stolen, or destroyed instantly. Now, physical documents can be destroyed as well, but not necessarily changed or tampered with, or 'corrupted'. The most important reason would be stolen media; the internet is just a giant network, and hackers who know what they are doing will find a way. It happens frequently to companies that host credit card information. 

Not sure there'd be a demand for stealing digital bibles or creeds/confessions...but there are sites that steal ebooks and music, then host them on other sites and sell them at cheaper prices. Same idea. 

However - 50 years is a long time in the technology world, and for culture to shift. I'm only 25, but when I look back 50 years ago, I couldn't imagine being as limited technologically. So, maybe there won't be physical books, at least not in the market for sell. I'm sure we'll keep physical books around for 'antiquity' - hopefully we'll never see a Bradbury scenario!! Stick out tongue

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 8:01 AM

Ken McGuire:

In 1981/82 I was involved with an early email implementation on an IBM mainframe here in the UK. We promised a reduction in paper usage through a reduction in memos being passed around, what we had not considered was that people would still want to file everything hard copy so many in the offices printed every email they received leading to mass duplication and surge in paper usage,

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1639
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 8:32 AM

Cute picture on facebook going around... https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience/photos/a.456449604376056.98921.367116489976035/795288533825493/?type=1

SDG

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:25 AM

George Somsel:

I'm disappointed that my granddaughter doesn't understand the use of a button hook.  Sad

George, if you're not quite 39, how do YOU know about button hooks?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS