dilemma w/ limited funds: Monographs or Primary texts

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:24 PM

Unix:
And I don't think a Bible-only approach is the right one.

It all depends on whether you are studying theology or the Bible. My library now stands at 14,413 volumes and it will grow by thousands more because I like studying theology.

I also like "Bible-only" studies and believe any Logos base package is sufficient for those studies, even free Logos! You need to decide for yourself which course of study you wish to pursue and commit to get the resources needed (and do NOT return them.). Over time you will have the library necessary. I wish you well.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 3:46 AM

As I won't be focusing on reading much else for somewhat many years, I don't think I have a too broad focus after skipping most of Church History.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 3475
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:13 AM

Kent:
The Bible-only approach should be the right one.

Says a man who promptly quotes Spurgeon, not the Bible, to prove his point. Wink

In any case, it's up to Unix how he wants to assemble his library, and for what purpose(s). The merit of his approach, at the categorical level, is a theological question best left for elsewhere.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 10:49 AM

SineNomine:
In any case, it's up to Unix how he wants to assemble his library, and for what purpose(s)
I don't think anyone would argue that point. (With the possible exception of his father) But why does he continue to ask for advice...Then argue with the responses?

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 11:13 AM

Unix:

As I won't be focusing on reading much else for somewhat many years, I don't think I have a too broad focus after skipping most of Church History.

Well, Unix, if there is anything you can feel comfortable with, it's not wasting your money on "church" history.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 1:37 PM

Thanks, David! I only have the books I have since before but sold one (it was the occasion I recently mentioned):

David Paul:
if there is anything you can feel comfortable with, it's not wasting your money on "church" history.

As I've been energetically tagging my library today, I've noticed some use for the earlier Raymond E. Brown (4 vols.) collection - most of the volumes are very old but are on hermeneutics which I'm studying right now in a somewhat advanced class.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:27 AM

I didn't get a discount on Nag Hammadi but purchased it anyway. I didn't purchase Old Testament for Everyone by Goldingay but am considering that item now - probably I won't care to negotiate the price because of inconvenient hours:

Unix:
but to order the Old Testament for Everyone pre-pub with my own account [...], and trying to negotiate down the Nag Hammadi price - if not successful I don't buy it at this point in time.

It will be tiresome to wait for the Col -volume from NTL by Jerry L. Sumney, but perhaps the set will be broken up in time for my class and paper leading up to Master degree. I'm sure there are several other good volumes but I have one as printed matter already and several of the other ones are by Reformed scholars. Researching historical Reformed theology is perhaps a bit more interesting - for that I have for example the A System of Christian Theology (10 vols.) which is very early history, as an early-bird pre-pub order:

Unix:
I'm a bit unsure about The New Testament Library Series (15 vols.). Currently I have a pre-pub order with the account for friends and my mom. My plan is that after the friend is done using it or grows tired of it, I would transfer the license for it to my account. It may very well be that even if I would have it in my own account from start that I would not find time to utilize it.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:32 AM

Primary texts remain, monographs fly away...

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS