Lexham Study Guides - love 'em, leave 'em or ??

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:43 PM

I don't have any of the guides. Thinking of Genesis.

Any one word impressions re: the Guides??

mm.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:55 PM

LeaveEmTooExpensiveBig Smile

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:56 PM

I thought that too about the 2 vol Genesis. 

mm.

Posts 1879
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:00 PM

how many pages are there in each books?

all I see just pretty graphics from those samples.

in terms of quality, I'm assuming they're just copy paste from the books they're quoting from.

correct me, i know I'm wrong..

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:04 PM

@ Mike,

Your guess is as good as mine. I just learned about them recently and only know what I found from sample pages too.

mm.

Posts 76
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:35 PM

Hi,

I have the LBG Ephesians and am happy to pull a couple of screen shots for you if you're interested to give you an idea of what you get. 

PM me with your email and I'll send it over.

Tim

Posts 7083
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:30 PM

Two choices, in my opinion: 1) Get them regardless of the price and enjoy pretty graphics or 2) Settle for exegetical summaries without the graphics - but I don't think there's an exegetical summary on Genesis.

Lexham guides are different than exegetical summaries, though.  I don't own them, but they seem to follow the Patriarch's series format which can be like a prepared class for you to share.  Exegetical summaries are not like a prepared class, just summaries on what other top and not so top commentaries, dictionaries and lexicons say.

If I had the money to spare, I'd probably own a few at least, but for now I settle for what I have.

DAL

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:58 PM

If you search these forums, you will find previous discussions on the Lexham Guides.

It seems that generally people like them, but the cost is a bit pricey.  Bob has explained why on at least one occasion on these forums. This is content that Logos has had to pay researchers to do and the economies behind these are different than other types of books.

As far as their function, I find them hitting a niche that Exegetical Summaries don't in that they give me a summary of different viewpoints in monographs and commentaries on a given passage of scripture. Sure I can go digging for this myself, but sometimes when time is short, this can be a huge help to jump start an enquiry on something. Also sometimes they highlight something I have missed or forgotten.

The other benefit is that they highlight views of materials that I may have not purchased yet. Some see it as a real negative thing that it links to high end commentaries. I agree on one hand if you don't have anything other than a basic Logos package this might be frustrating.  That being said, the Lexham Guides have given me a clue when I might want to buy a commentary because I am interested in what they are saying about the author's position on a passage of scripture.  So in effect, sometimes Lexham Guides are a buying guide for me when I need to get into a passage of scripture.

On this note, I might be as bold to say that I wonder if Logos would consider 'subsidising' the production of these guides knowing that they might generate more sales in the long run. Maybe they already are or it would not make good financial sense.  I only offer this as a suggestion because I do see they fill a function that is useful to a student.

Over time I have picked some of the Guides. I think the product is sound.  It's just whether you can afford it or not, and of course you have a need. Hope this helps.

Posts 3220
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 3:16 AM

The Guides are pricey- but thats not the issue with them- its the cost of the resources you'll need to buy to make them functional, THOUSANDS!

Posts 1529
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 4:15 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
its the cost of the resources you'll need to buy to make them functional, THOUSANDS!

Reading this thread cost me about 90 dollars today: OT pseudepigrapha 2 vols (I have bought the guide earlier)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1879
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 4:15 AM

Lexham study guides = advertisments so you buy more commentaries. (I'm sure that's one of their initial plans)

Posts 2041
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 4:36 AM

I bought the first volume on Genesis because I wanted the quick survey on views of Genesis 1-11 and its various interpretations in various spots.  I would also buy a volume/volumes on Revelation, as it would be a good quick reference to find various views on different parts, but these are then only ones that really jump out at me.  I would buy more of them if they were less expensive.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 6:10 AM

@ Joseph,

I'm going through Genesis plus... right now.

Let me ask you these questions:

1. Was the Guide thorough enough for a very good handle of the first eleven chapters?
  2. Did you find that you were lacking some or many of the books it refers to?
  3. Were you inclined to buy said books?
  4. Did you feel the Guide saved you more time than if you would have had most books the Guide refers to?
  5. If you had a fair amount of the books the Guide referred to would you have used them and gained any advantage in your study?
  6. After using the Guide would you buy it knowing what you already know now about it?

Thanks.

mm.

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 25 2014 6:41 AM

mike:
Lexham study guides = advertisments so you buy more commentaries. (I'm sure that's one of their initial plans)

I have critiqued Logos' marketing engine before, but I suggest asserting that they are advertisements could not be easily substantiated. Here's the reasons:

1.They are overpriced to achieve this effectively. Maybe if they were an essential core to running the Logos product, this case could be made, but they are not and they are a premium add on.

2. They fill a niche that the Exegetical Summaries don't hit. I have used both side by side and the Guides do cover elements that the other don't.  No everyone needs what the guides do, but it is there and could be proved if we want to start to get into a critical analysis over how each covers a specific passage of scripture in comparison with Exegetical summaries. (this would be fair game by the way and would probably provide good feedback to the researchers on how they can strengthen the product)

3. They can be a standalone product if all you wish for is a summary of different commentator's opinions. For Genesis there are quite a few gaps in what I own, but it still gives me a good overview which I find extremely helpful.

That being said, these Guides could lead to more sales, but I don't think that is a bad thing. If I am going to spend a substantial amount of money on a commentary, it could be one of the elements that gives me a good insight into whether or not I want to invest more to read that author's opinion.  This can also save me time in getting to the bottom-line of which opinions I really am interested in considering and comparing, rather than having to do it myself.  The work that has to be done to build these Guides to accomplish this purpose is further reason why they are not advertisements.

Like I said, I have critiqued Logos' marketing claims before and even critiqued this series, but I would have difficulty proving that the researchers that put these together were briefed to sell as many commentaries as possible.  

Anyhow, my two cents worth and its just an opinion to throw into the mix. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS