50 Best Christian Books Ever

Page 2 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 84 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 8:14 PM

SineNomine:

I would like to see John Henry Newman's novel Loss and Gain ...

... and others ...  Collected Works of John Henry Newman

Aquinas ... Yes

How about the spiritual giants .. St. Francis, St. Bernard, St. Teresa and others

John Paul II

Posts 2821
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 9:52 PM

A great thread, and I agree with nearly every book suggested, especially the classics.  I would add Martyn Lloyd-Jones' "Studies on the Sermon on the Mount" and Charles Colson's "Loving God" among the more modern books.  Also, William Bradford's "History of Plymouth Plantation". And everyone should read some of Spurgeon's sermons and John Wesley's Journal.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 27 2014 8:08 AM

Rosie Perera:

• Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible - Dietrich Bonhoeffer (logosres:dbw05) (BUY)
  • Ragamuffin Gospel - Brennan Manning
  • Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer (logosres:dbw04) (BUY)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan (multiple editions: logosres:pilgrimlogosres:wjb-plgprg (BUY), and more on Vyrso)
  • The Mortification of Sin - John Owen (logosres:worksowen06) (BUY)
  • The Wounded Healer - Henri Nouwen
  • A Long Obedience in the Same Direction - Eugene Peterson
  • Return of the Prodigal Son - Henri Nouwen
  • Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer – C.S. Lewis
  • The Temple – George Herbert
  • The Book of Common Prayer – Thomas Cranmer, et al. (logosres:bkcommpray1979 is one of several editions) (BUY)
  • The Rule of St. Benedict – Benedict of Nursia (logosres:holyrule - BUYlogosres:rsb1980 - BUY)
  • Martyrs' Mirror – Thieleman Van Braght  [better than Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, IMO] (order it in pre-pub!)
  • On Consideration – Bernard of Clairvaux (logosres:stbernconsid) (BUY)
  • The Spiritual Exercises – Ignatius of Loyola (logosres:sprtexrcises) (BUY)
  • Fear and Trembling – Søren Kierkegaard (available as a PB: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/43932.aspx)
  • Divine Poems and Holy Sonnets – John Donne (PB: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/37716.aspx)
  • The Life of Antony – Athanasius (logosres:npnf18;ref=Athanasius.Ath.,_Vit._Ant.) (BUY Prot, BUY Cath)
  • Spiritual Friendship – Aelred of Rievaulx
  • The Love of Learning and the Desire for God – Jean Leclercq
  • The Hound of Heaven – Francis Thompson
  • The Man Born to Be King – Dorothy Sayers
  • The Mind of the Maker – Dorothy Sayers
  • Something Beautiful for God – Malcolm Muggeridge
  • Gift from the Sea – Anne Morrow Lindberg
  • A Diary of Private Prayer – John Baillie
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians – Helmut Thielicke
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment – Jean-Pierre de Caussade
  • Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther – Roland Bainton (logosres:9781426775963) (BUY)
  • Spirituality and the Gentle Life – Adrian Van Kaam
  • Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster
  • Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home – Richard Foster
  • Life of the Beloved – Henri Nouwen
  • The Inner Voice of Love – Henri Nouwen
  • Holy the Firm – Annie Dillard
  • The Contemplative Pastor – Eugene Peterson (logosres:ldlib17) (BUY)
  • An Offering of Uncles – Robert Farrar Capon
  • The Supper of the Lamb – Robert Farrar Capon
  • The Power and the Glory – Graham Greene
  • The Book of the Dun Cow – Walter Wangerin
  • The Complete Stories – Flannery O’Connor
  • The Princess and the Goblin – George Macdonald

And I think I should add (due to their reputation or specific recommendations from people I trust), though I haven't read them yet:

Finally, more lists of great Christian books:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/christian 

The Tozer books are indeed excellent. As an avid Tolkien fan I enjoyed the Silmarillion, but it is on par with reading the book of Numbers. So and so begat so and so and lived to be xxxx years old and his child so and so begat so and so... you get the idea.

I trimmed the ones off your list that i've read and will be adding them to a list I keep of books I want to read. Someone also mentioned the desert fathers. David Platt preached once and shared a story from there that stirred me, and so I've read a little from that from time to time. Want to finish, but school is a busy time.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 28 2014 3:24 AM

How did Dracula not make the cut?  (too soon?)

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 28 2014 3:41 AM

David A. Peterson:
How did Dracula not make the cut?

Because Dracula sucks.  Smile

(Sorry.)

Posts 1048
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 28 2014 9:53 AM

MJ. Smith:

William Gabriel:
but it doesn't have the advantage of being true.

While I would not include Silmarillion so near the top, I also would distinguish between "true" and "factual". I personally enjoy Tolkien more for his language play than for his theology.

That's a great point, thanks. Funny how "true" have diverse meaning given context. Big Smile

If I had been more careful/precise, I would have said that the Silmarillion doesn't have the advantage of being historical. I've come to appreciate the OT because I can see the big picture of God's work in the life of Israel, even if I get bogged down in ceremonial rituals or genealogies. Each time I read them again, I appreciate them more because of their foundation in history and what they contribute to redemption.

Regarding Tolkien, I've heard a lot of admiration and criticism of his writing over the years--and I think there's going to be quite a bit of taste involved with him. My wife can't stand the detail in LOTR, yet I love it. I enjoy reading Tolkien's imagination on paper.

Posts 245
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:00 AM

I can't imagine any list of this nature NOT having at least one volume from the following authors:

Tozer

Ravenhill

Bounds

Wesley

Moody

I'd also have to include the following as absolutely essential:

Foxes Book of Martyrs (can't believe that one hasn't been mentioned)

The Kneeling Christian

Answers to Prayer (George Mueller)

Those would all be essentials for my Top 50 Ever Christian books.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:05 AM

Peace to my Logos Forums Brothers and Sisters!

*smile*                            Thank you to all who've contributed to this Amazing Thread which has been very, very helpful to me!

Picked up a whole bunch of good ideas and suggestions    ..........                  likely will not live long enough to accomplish all that I'd like to accomplish; however, today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life      ...........

I will enjoy the Lord!                           I will enjoy His People -- His Church!              *smile*

then ....          !!!!!            ........                I'll take it from there, eh?!           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:49 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
Picked up a whole bunch of good ideas and suggestions    ..........                  likely will not live long enough to accomplish all that I'd like to accomplish; however, today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life    

I don't think any of us will live long enough to read all we want.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:52 AM

I discovered today that I've read just about 10% (489 of 5058) of the books in my library. I have a long long way to go yet.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 2:13 PM

Gary Osborne:
Foxes Book of Martyrs (can't believe that one hasn't been mentioned)

I mentioned it by saying Martyrs' Mirror is better than it. But Foxe's is probably better known. So be it.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 3:14 PM

I didn't think about this before... but I would add "To Kill A Mockingbird" to the list... somewhere.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 3:25 PM

alabama24:

I didn't think about this before... but I would add "To Kill A Mockingbird" to the list... somewhere.

Yes And for those who didn't see it, there's a thread about this book; it's coming to Kindle soon. Hope Logos can get it too. In the author Harper Lee's own words, it is "Christian in its ethic."

Posts 26027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 4:55 PM

Not quite the ideal forum but I've started a discussion group on faithlife https://faithlife.com/literary-reading-appropriate-for-a-christian-book-club/ intended simply to be a place to share titles we've found interesting recreational reading that we can vaguely relate to Christianity or God or religion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 5:30 PM

MJ. Smith:

Not quite the ideal forum but I've started a discussion group on faithlife https://faithlife.com/literary-reading-appropriate-for-a-christian-book-club/ intended simply to be a place to share titles we've found interesting recreational reading that we can vaguely relate to Christianity or God or religion.

I like it ...   I don't know that my contribution qualifies (go to MJ's link) ... but it's my contribution ...

Thanks, MJ.

Posts 26027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 6:07 PM

It definitely counts ... in fact, I'm putting it on my reread list.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 6:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

Love the idea... I think I screwed up though... I added a book that perhaps falls outside of what you intended. I can remove it if need be. Smile

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 6:28 PM

alabama24:

Love the idea... I think I screwed up though... 

I think not ... tell us.

Smile

Posts 26027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 6:37 PM

alabama24:
I added a book that perhaps falls outside of what you intended. I can remove it if need be. Smile

It's a great book that is truly pan-denominational so leave it in. What I want to be able to screen out are technical books of interest only to people with similar beliefs and books that slam others' views.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 6:38 PM

Sounds good. Smile

Page 2 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS