WARNING TO LOGOS—slow down

Page 2 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2051
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:00 PM

George Somsel:
The problem is not with the ordering.  It is with the release.  One never knows when these will be released so it is impossible to plan to have enough on hand to cover the expense.

The problem is with pushing the order button before setting aside the funds to cover it. It's the same problem I have with credit cards, it's way too easy to slide it through without thinking about the payment. It's the same ole buy now, pay later problem. Sometimes it's necessary to take advantage of that "credit" (which is basically what PP & CP are). But most of the time it's just the easy thing to do. And it gets me in to trouble.

I do agree that there are some things Logos could do to ease the pain. Like more advance notice between announcing a ship date and the actual ship date, say 3-4 mos (but folks would complain about the delay then). Book Cache could be made more flexible and useful: allow arbitrary payments into it, show a summary of what the monthly payments into it should be adjusted to in order to cover everything I currently have on pre-pub. As it is I don't use it and have a dedicated card for all my Logos purchases and use it like I wish Book Cache worked (Is anyone using it?).

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:04 PM

I don't use it.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:05 PM

DAL:
Ps. Maybe you could resell some of the things you don't need on the facebook Logos resale page.  A few users are doing that to buy other stuff that they actually need.

Bite your tongue.  I don't sell my children (though I wouldn't mind getting rid of Wiersbe).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:07 PM

Ergatees:

Yep, I know how it goes. When it rains it pours!

Lots coming through in May. I look over my list carefully to see what I really want.

But, I've been waiting forever for Sophocles. And I refuse to cancel it.

Ergatees

Sophocles isn't scheduled for release yet.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9954
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:11 PM

He has a parole hearing in June.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:11 PM

Randy W. Sims:

George Somsel:
The problem is not with the ordering.  It is with the release.  One never knows when these will be released so it is impossible to plan to have enough on hand to cover the expense.

The problem is with pushing the order button before setting aside the funds to cover it. It's the same problem I have with credit cards, it's way too easy to slide it through without thinking about the payment. It's the same ole buy now, pay later problem. Sometimes it's necessary to take advantage of that "credit" (which is basically what PP & CP are). But most of the time it's just the easy thing to do. And it gets me in to trouble.

I do agree that there are some things Logos could do to ease the pain. Like more advance notice between announcing a ship date and the actual ship date, say 3-4 mos (but folks would complain about the delay then). Book Cache could be made more flexible and useful: allow arbitrary payments into it, show a summary of what the monthly payments into it should be adjusted to in order to cover everything I currently have on pre-pub. As it is I don't use it and have a dedicated card for all my Logos purchases and use it like I wish Book Cache worked (Is anyone using it?).

No, that isn't true.  I don't use credit cards now, but I have in the past and am familiar with them and how they work.  With a credit card you know you will get the bill at the end of the month and have a limited time to pay without penalty so it is possible to plan.  With resources which are "Under Contract" you never know when they will be released—so "SURPRISE !."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 772
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:27 PM

Randy W. Sims:

George Somsel:

I do agree that there are some things Logos could do to ease the pain.

Why not give buyers an extended time period after the release to actually pull the trigger without losing the sale price. 

For example, one could delay the purchase of any release (thereby freezing the price) up to six months by putting down, say, a 5% fee.  The fee would be refundable upon execution of the purchase, but non-refundable if the purchase is ultimately cancelled.

A system like this would enable customers to smooth out the highs and the lows ... even as Isaiah prophesied,

Let every valley be lifted up,

And every mountain and hill be made low;

And let the rough ground become a plain,

And the rugged terrain a broad valley.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 520
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:36 PM

Me too,Today I was revising and cancelling some orders!

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:37 PM

A fairly useful treatment for Logos addiction: read more. By which I mean actually read the texts you've bought. Start to finish. The excellent tagging and search options in Logos can blind us to the fact that many of these books were written to be read, not mined. Just a thought.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:38 PM

JRS:

Randy W. Sims:

George Somsel:

Why not give buyers an extended time period after the release to actually pull the trigger without losing the sale price. 

For example, one could delay the purchase of any release (thereby freezing the price) up to six months by putting down, say, a 5% fee.  The fee would be refundable upon execution of the purchase, but non-refundable if the purchase is ultimately cancelled.

A system like this would enable customers to smooth out the highs and the lows ... even as Isaiah prophesied,

I like it though there are undoubtedly details to be worked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLUhVkCoPE

george
gfsomsel

Posts 772
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:47 PM

George Somsel:

JRS:

Randy W. Sims:

George Somsel:

I like it though there are undoubtedly details to be worked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLUhVkCoPE

Details are Bob's department. 

FWIW: My favorite rendition ...

(but I enjoyed your link, too!)

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 12:56 PM

JRS:

FWIW: My favorite rendition ...

(but I enjoyed your link, too!)

That's the version I have as well, but Pinnock is good and is on YouTube.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 1:12 PM

I always thought it would be helpful if Logos allowed you to lock-in a new resource's price for some period of time (6 months? 1 year? 3 years?) by placing a modest deposit down (5%? 10%?) at the time the product first ships.

You could get the resource if you like for the lock-in price at any point during the period by paying the outstanding balance (or initiating a payment plan). You could request a refund of the deposit at any time (though you would then lose the option to purchase at the lock-in price), or the deposit would be returned to you automatically if the period expires without you purchasing the resource or requesting a refund.

I think this strikes a reasonably fair balance between the interests of Logos and its customers. Logos would not lose sales to those who decide they can't buy a new resource because they can't afford it at its initial shipment date, and Logos gets at least some evidence of commitment on behalf of customers because customers must be willing to hand over cash to lock-in a price. Customers get the option to smooth out the timing of their purchases of new resources without having to always purchase on the first shipment date for fear of losing the discounted pricing.

Seems like a win-win to me, or at least a better solution than the way things work now. 

Posts 6153
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 1:45 PM

George Somsel:

DAL:
Ps. Maybe you could resell some of the things you don't need on the facebook Logos resale page.  A few users are doing that to buy other stuff that they actually need.

Bite your tongue.  I don't sell my children (though I wouldn't mind getting rid of Wiersbe).

LOL you're funny.  By the way, which titles/collection from "Wiersbe, the unWanted Child" were you thinking of getting rid of?

DAL

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 2:02 PM

DAL:

George Somsel:

DAL:

LOL you're funny.  By the way, which titles/collection from "Wiersbe, the unWanted Child" were you thinking of getting rid of?

DAL

The problem is that I can't get rid of Wiersbe since his works were part of a base collection.  I'm stuck with them.  Sad

george
gfsomsel

Posts 6153
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 2:12 PM

George Somsel:

DAL:

George Somsel:

DAL:

DAL

The problem is that I can't get rid of Wiersbe since his works were part of a base collection.  I'm stuck with them.  Sad

Well, good luck and try to enjoy your unwanted child.  The ones that come in a base package are the ones that are harder to get rid of.

Posts 3007
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 4:17 PM

Guy & gals. Let's face it. Some of us have the problem of spending way too much on Logos. Not their fault, but ours.

AS A MATTER OF FACT - I'M HIDING IN MY OFFICE RIGHT NOW! SPENT WAYYYY TOOOO MUCH ON THE WEEKEND. HIDING FROM MY WIFE AS I SHEEPISH TREAD SOFTLY THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE.

IN THE DOG HOUSE - AGAIN!!!

mm.

mm.

Posts 6477
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 4:31 PM

Milkman:

IN THE DOG HOUSE - AGAIN!!!

mm.

You need a bigger house brother.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3007
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 4:35 PM

Lynden - You have no idea brother! That's just a picture of my butt getting ready to be booted.

mm.

Posts 2300
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 6:23 PM

Since I don't know when a resource is going to be released (3 months or 18 months), I order a resource if it looks interesting.  However, in a month that has a lot of resources shipping (like May) I find myself cancelling quite a few.  For example, I have almost $400 scheduled to ship, which is way outside my budget, so I will be going through the list and only getting the ones I really want. 

Page 2 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS