Forum Respect..

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 30 2014 3:51 PM

Sadly it seems a minority are repeatedly ignoring the house rules: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx and multiple times have noticed some responses are almost becoming hostile, and inflammatory to point of rudeness.

I am not talking about friendly banter i.e George v Interlinears, I have seen responses over past year, that have stopped me using forums for a while..

Whilst I understand that you may be passionate about a particular topic, please, if we other users don't have same perspective or revelation, and its within rules, rather than being superior and somtimes judmental about it, maybe in love you could instead suggest resources to read which may help assist our understanding.. Please remember that although the core beliefs of the faith we share should not be up for debate, the other stuff is all down to interpretation, tradition, and divine revelation, and (y)our passionately held position although researched to the best of your abilities, may prove down the road to be divinely incorrect.

Please, when you post.. More Love, More Grace..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 3:53 PM

Yes Yes Yes

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 4:30 PM

Lee:

Yes Yes Yes

ditto

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 4:31 PM

Agreed.

((( DominicM )))  Smile

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 4:48 PM

Well, I'll have to not agree (with the forum rules point).  

If I remember right (and a very big if), I can only remember 1 person, wait there's 2, that haven't broken the rules and repeatedly.   Just my memory, there'd be Graham and Dave. No amount of tempting (or testing) seems to work on them for some reason.  I remember Bob's doozie (which I won't repeat).

But elsewise, well meaning folks (pretty much everyone) participate, often pre-conditioning their participation with a reference to the rules (which makes breaking them ok).  Sometimes unkind.  Sometimes offending.  

I'm over on the far-right, and quite frankly main-stream 'of course' theological statements are offensive. But I just lather on some more skin.

I guess I'm a bit more easy going; I don't mind rule-breaking as long as it's even-steven.  The other day, David's whacking the LXX seemed ok to me (it is a historical issue germaine to translational validity), but the Logos-guy got upset.  I whacked the aramaic translation (my opinion) and nobody whacked me.

I liked the smiley face guy today; paid the price (I should have seen it coming).

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 5:21 PM

Denise:
I'm over on the far-right, and quite frankly main-stream 'of course' theological statements are offensive. But I just lather on some more skin.

Thanks for the inspiration, Denise, which has given me a new way to refer to myself: From now on I will be an "Of course Christian"!... without the extra skin, of course.   Big Smile

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 6:19 PM

DominicM:

Yes. Who can argue with that?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 6:33 PM

DominicM:

Well said.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 7:03 PM

DominicM:

Well said. Yes

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:17 PM

Denise:
 I whacked the aramaic translation (my opinion) and nobody whacked me.

Denise whacked me the other day, in a virtual sort of way.

I turned the other cheek.

And I still think she's funny!  Wink

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:40 PM

Denise:

I guess I'm a bit more easy going; I don't mind rule-breaking as long as it's even-steven.  The other day, David's whacking the LXX seemed ok to me (it is a historical issue germaine to translational validity), but the Logos-guy got upset.

I suppose I should apologize for hurting the LXX's feelings. I wasn't actually saying it was invalid, just dubious. I hope it will forgive me.

After all, if YHWH can squeeze some "useful" juice out of Judas, the LXX is a piece of cake.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 9:12 PM

Well, I certainly need to show more grace and love because some days I don't even like myself, much less everyone else.  And sometimes I just can't resist a good argument.

I will try to be nicer.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 10:21 PM

Michael Childs:

I will try to be nicer.

I was really hoping that adjective would make itself scarce in this thread, given that it is probably more dubious than the LXX is.

BillS:

DominicM:

Well said. Yes

Todd Frusti:

DominicM:

Well said.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Lee:

Yes Yes Yes

MJ. Smith:

Lee:

Yes Yes Yes

ditto

Rosie Perera:

Agreed.

((( DominicM )))  Smile

Bruce Dunning:

DominicM:

Yes. Who can argue with that?

Well, I guess that part will be left up to me. I think the greater question is...what do "Love" and "Grace" mean?

Seeing as Love and Grace are utterly meaningless absent the inherent ingredient of Truth that makes up the Lion's share of both, we will actually find ourselves at an impasse almost immediately...that is, as long as we avoid the terrible error of equating Love and Grace with the "niceness" the Michael invited to the party. If we are to interpret "Love & Grace" as "being nicer", then we will no doubt have a great community fountain of "nice" lubricant to bathe in, but at the cost of the traction of Truth. But therein lies the paradox...because without Truth, Love and Grace are meaningless, ergo the impasse.

Of course, Truth is the sticking point, since what constitutes Truth is what we all tend to dispute over...and disputes are personae non grata hereabout.

Methinks that will leave us with a forum constituted by a bunch of bug reports, which is about as appealing as a can of Raid. So it seems...

• Raid = Nice  

Who knew? More to the point, who can argue with that?

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 10:36 PM

David's post reminds me of a plaque my aunt had up on the refrigerator. I couldn't find my photo of it, but I did find a bunch more images of that quote on Google Images. I think hers looked like the second one over in the top row.

Smile

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:04 PM

For me, the verse that always comes to mind is...

Isaiah 30:10 They say to the visionaries, “See no more visions!” and to the seers, “Don’t relate messages to us about what is right! Tell us nice things, relate deceptive messages.

The NET Bible (Is 30:10). (2006). Biblical Studies Press.

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:06 PM

I deliberately did not name those individuals (there have been several), so please don't single anyone out, as it was not my intent to blame.. Only raise concern!

In response to DP though, and the truth comment:

Truth is  like a cake, rarely can we put whole cake in our mouth - chew and swallow in one go, most of us need edible size chunks we can chew over, ruminate and digest before taking the next bite.. It still needs served but ofter needs multiple servings.. Often those who are passionate try to force us to enjoy the cake in one sitting, I do understand your heart and motive, and truth does need displayed/served, but some of us may take longer than you like to digest it..

Respect does not mean a bland forum, raid is OTT IMO..

Respect can be a powerful catalyst for changing peoples hearts and minds

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:49 PM

I like your "truth in bites" metaphor, and I concur that it can take time to digest truth. I could say more here, but I won't.

I also agree with your statement about respect and its power to change...but I think one must acknowledge that the greatest respect one can show another is that which conveys necessary truth. Sometimes shoving someone as hard as you can onto the ground is great respect, especially in respect of the speeding vehicle that narrowly misses them.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:08 AM

DominicM:

Sadly it seems a minority are repeatedly ignoring the house rules: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx and multiple times have noticed some responses are almost becoming hostile, and inflammatory to point of rudeness.

I am not talking about friendly banter i.e George v Interlinears, I have seen responses over past year, that have stopped me using forums for a while..

Whilst I understand that you may be passionate about a particular topic, please, if we other users don't have same perspective or revelation, and its within rules, rather than being superior and somtimes judmental about it, maybe in love you could instead suggest resources to read which may help assist our understanding.. Please remember that although the core beliefs of the faith we share should not be up for debate, the other stuff is all down to interpretation, tradition, and divine revelation, and (y)our passionately held position although researched to the best of your abilities, may prove down the road to be divinely incorrect.

Peace to you, Dominic!                 Peace to all!          *smile*

Dominic, I appreciate your post!                  I rejoice when we care about each other and respect one another's needs and feelings and strengths and weaknesses ..........              et cetera, eh?!

I'd love to preach a sermon -- hold forth a homily? -- share with others? re. our speech being seasoned with salt; however, since it is late, late, late, late in my home, let the following quote suffice!                                Again, Blessings and Peace to my Logos Community Forums Brothers and Sisters with a simple word             -- There is NEVER a need to be rude!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:22 AM

David Paul:

I like your "truth in bites" metaphor, and I concur that it can take time to digest truth. I could say more here, but I won't.

I also agree with your statement about respect and its power to change...but I think one must acknowledge that the greatest respect one can show another is that which conveys necessary truth. Sometimes shoving someone as hard as you can onto the ground is great respect, especially in respect of the speeding vehicle that narrowly misses them.

Yes, but if you're at the table with them and your constant shoves cause them to want to avoid you and sit across the table and at the opposite end, next to someone else, you're never going to get a chance to feed them the truth you want to feed them, whether it be cake or cod liver oil.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:26 AM

Irrespective of how much any of us want to discuss theology and whatnot, and that regardless of our reasons, our participation in these forums is strictly conditional on our adherence to these rules. If, for whatever good, bad, holy, or unholy reasons, we do not wish to follow one or more of those rules - e.g., rule 2, rule 3, or rule 4 - then we need only cease to use (or at least post in) the forums and all will be well nonetheless. 

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS