Forum Respect..

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10377
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:27 AM

DominicM:
Sadly it seems a minority are repeatedly ignoring the house rules: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx and multiple times have noticed some responses are almost becoming hostile, and inflammatory to point of rudeness.

Wow! I must have missed all that, and I read the forums several times a day. Sure, I noticed that some people vigorously defend their beliefs, but no one has been nearly as obnoxious as several forum regulars were a few years ago. Actually, I am more offended by those who continually invoke the forum guidelines whenever they disagree with someone's post.

BTW—these are forum guideline, not forum rules. Bob Pritchett has repeatedly posted that he hates rules Geeked

After all, it is much easier to ignore offensive comments on these forums than it is in face-to-face communication.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 5:12 AM

Jack Caviness:
After all, it is much easier to ignore offensive comments on these forums than it is in face-to-face communication
 I guess that depends on your definition of easy. And your personality. Sometimes the relative anonymity of the internet invents some wildly different personalities.  More so than having to actually live among a bunch of people who know you , and your family, and see you every day.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 5:12 AM

Jack Caviness:
Wow! I must have missed all that, and I read the forums several times a day. Sure, I noticed that some people vigorously defend their beliefs, but no one has been nearly as obnoxious as several forum regulars were a few years ago. Actually, I am more offended by those who continually invoke the forum guidelines whenever they disagree with someone's post.
If wisdom comes with age, You must be Very Old. Big Smile

Posts 9854
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 7:16 AM

I think Doc's cheek-turning relative to one of the forum members (me) completely out-of-control comments strongly suggests the need for a cheek-turning icon (forgot the name for it).

That'd be an interesting modern solution!

Posts 2848
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 7:41 AM

DominicM:
Please, when you post.. More Love, More Grace.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 8:47 AM

Paul C:

Jack Caviness:
If wisdom comes with age, You must be Very Old. Big Smile

Is he ever!!!           ... and growing older by the day!                        *smile*                                                                                                 Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 18492
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 10:42 AM

Jack Caviness:
Actually, I am more offended by those who continually invoke the forum guidelines whenever they disagree with someone's post.

How do you know that people who invoke the forum guidelines are doing it because they disagree with someone's post? Maybe they are onlookers watching other people argue with each other, and they don't have a strong opinion about the issue at hand but don't like watching disputes. That's my reason whenever I've done it. I'm a pacifist at heart and don't like seeing people denigrating each other's viewpoints.

Posts 312
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 10:49 AM

BTW—these are forum guideline, not forum rules. Bob Pritchett has repeatedly posted that he hates rules Geeked

After all, it is much easier to ignore offensive comments on these forums than it is in face-to-face communication.

Wow I am amazed today I agree 100% with Jack.  But with all due respect to Rosie I always enjoy hearing her point of view.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 11:05 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:
Sure, I noticed that some people vigorously defend their beliefs, but no one has been nearly as obnoxious as several forum regulars were a few years ago.

True. I am afraid some people view any disagreement as offensive. What we have seen lately on the forums pales by comparison to what was truly abhorrent a couple of years ago.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 764
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 11:25 AM

Might I suggest the following:

1) The Intolerance of Tolerance mp3 parts 1 & 2 by Don Carson      http://www.monergism.com/topics/postmodernism/%E2%80%9Ctolerance%E2%80%9D

2) The Intolerance of Tolerance in Logos format        https://www.logos.com/product/36928/eerdmans-d-a-carson-collection

3) And, in the interest of tolerance, a review/rebuttal to Don Carson from Roger E. Olson      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/2012/06/review-of-carsons-the-intolerance-of-tolerance/

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 11:46 AM

DominicM:
multiple times have noticed some responses are almost becoming hostile, and inflammatory to point of rudeness.

To get back to the original topic - the OP was not suggesting that disagreement was outside the guidelines. The OP and the guidelines address how that disagreement is expressed. There is definitely a cultural element in determining if something is hostile, inflammatory, or rude. My daughter-in-law, a Lutheran pastor, just discovered the difference between an annual church meeting in Maryland vs. in Washington state. In Washington State, the meeting was much more low key. I think that the guidelines are trying to say something along the lines of "don't make other users uncomfortable to the point that they won't use the forums to get answers" - which is exactly what happened to the OP.

DominicM:
I have seen responses over past year, that have stopped me using forums for a while..

That defeats the whole purpose of having the forums. Love, grace, respect, manners and just plain human decency seem like reasonable goals for a primarily Christian user base.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 11:55 AM

DominicM:
Please, when you post.. More Love, More Grace..

More Love, More Grace....   Yes, indeed.  We can't have too much of either.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8762
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:04 PM

JRS:
2) The Intolerance of Tolerance in Logos format        https://www.logos.com/product/36928/eerdmans-d-a-carson-collection

I'm really looking forward to this which is currently under development.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:11 PM

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 9854
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:12 PM

Yesterday, on our state highway through Sedona, a Volvo station wagon driver was weaving between lanes pretty badly.  The tourist car beside us got really excited and honked their horn (invoking the highway forum guidelines).  We jerked our wheel to avoid a collision.

After everyone let the Volvo proceed, we all carefully examined the driver (from afar), and decided 'road rage'.  And after arriving at the next round-about, all were 'friends' again.

Just as long as it's not drunk driving.

I mention this only because a group of total strangers could instantly 'pass' on really bad behavior as long as they can guess the motive.

Posts 6062
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:58 PM

Jack Caviness:

DominicM:
Sadly it seems a minority are repeatedly ignoring the house rules: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx and multiple times have noticed some responses are almost becoming hostile, and inflammatory to point of rudeness.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Jack! Jack! Jack! Jack! Jack! Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes You, sir, just nailed it! 

I'm sure DominicM's post has good intentions behind it, but I wonder what's a good example of a "hostile and inflammatory" post.  By the language he's using, it seems he's gotten a note from Logos before, as I did a long time ago when I got dragged into a "theological debate" and the note included the language "hostile and inflammatory" when I never really saw the "hostility" or "inflammation" in it...LOL...Anyway, it just made me curious to see the choice of terms being employed in his post.  

Another thing, I agree with Jack and I also believe that the so called "guidelines" (not rules) are violated on an everyday basis since nobody really uses the forum to keep discussions exclusively focused on "Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc." Almost everybody posts, at one point or another, a  post (like DominicM's or mine) and questions that are not related exclusively to the "software, products, website, company, tools, etc." If all the posts were really exclusively about the things mentioned in the guidelines (not rules) I think the forum would be a boring place to hang out.  

Just think about it -- what if all posts contained something along these lines: "Hey, what do you think about the software? or what do you think about X product? or do you like the old design of the website or the new? or do you think Logos is a good company or not? How do you like that new tool they have available in version 5, etc.?" It would be a nightmare and everybody would sound "repetitively crazy" to say the least (or obsessed which some do either way Stick out tongue).

Anyway, the forum is a great place to hang out when you have time, but "more love and more grace" won't necessarily make it better.  I think "Respect" is the foundation and when we show respect, the rest will come on its own.  As someone once said, "Respect for the rights of others is peace." If some don't have "love and grace" then they should at least have some respect and that should help keep things peaceful.

"Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

DAL

Posts 10377
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:24 PM

DAL wrote "If all the posts were really exclusively about the things mentioned in the guidelines (not rules) I think the forum would be a boring place to hang out."

so very true

Posts 10377
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:27 PM

Rosie Perera:

Jack Caviness:
Actually, I am more offended by those who continually invoke the forum guidelines whenever they disagree with someone's post.

How do you know that people who invoke the forum guidelines are doing it because they disagree with someone's post? Maybe they are onlookers watching other people argue with each other, and they don't have a strong opinion about the issue at hand but don't like watching disputes. That's my reason whenever I've done it. I'm a pacifist at heart and don't like seeing people denigrating each other's viewpoints.

Rosie, you are not one of those whom I had in mind. And that is all I have to say on this topic.

Posts 9854
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:30 PM

Well, I think it's always good to bring in an authoritative source.

Google.

Whenever I google a religious book I'm interested in, guess who shows up at the top?  Yes, Amazon.

Ok, ignoring Amazon, who?

That'd be the Logos forum or .com site.  

Now would Google make this up? Or is the Logos forum a popular place to learn everything you never expected to know?

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:36 PM

Smashing point. Simply Smashing ! Smile

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS