Dracula and now "eliminating satan and hell" ...

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 1 2014 11:46 AM

Can this really be serious? First we're challenged to put "Dracula" into a Bible program and now another one called "Eliminating Satan and hell" ... honestly, what type of rubbish is being presented here? 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:00 PM

Bootjack:

Can this really be serious? First we're challenged to put "Dracula" into a Bible program and now another one called "Eliminating Satan and hell" ... honestly, what type of rubbish is being presented here? 

FYI, the book and reactions to it can be found here: https://www.logos.com/product/42134/eliminating-satan-and-hell 

Bootjack, while I would not agree with this book, it would be helpful to see the arguments first-hand in order to have an intelligent discussion with those who might follow the arguments.

There are other books in Logos I find un-Biblical, even anti-Biblical (IMHO, of course), this would just be one more example of one of those. I have some of those, others I don't. (I will restrain myself from giving specifics, lest I start another argument.)

Hopefully we can agree that by offering a book Logos is not endorsing it. Bob engages the discussion about the value of the book in the link above and basically says that.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:00 PM

They forced you to buy it?!?!??

Holy crap!!!

What has Logos become?

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:07 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Hopefully we can agree that by offering a book Logos is not endorsing it.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:19 PM

Bootjack:
First we're challenged to put "Dracula" into a Bible program

Logos publishes more than Bible software. Even the early days of LLS saw a model railroading resource.

Bootjack:
now another one called "Eliminating Satan and hell" ... honestly, what type of rubbish is being presented here? 

One man's rubbish is another man's doctrine, and visa versa. Are you aware a sizeable minority of Logos users do not believe in a literal hell?  If I ever engage them in meaningful dialogue I may want to apprise myself of their position. If you don't want the book, don't buy it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:22 PM

I have placed it on pre order and am very interested in it. It is a non orthodox position but one held by several of the Church fathers and I am very glad to read this take since so much about what we claim to believe about Hell is not from the Bible but actually from Dante's Inferno.

-Dan

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 1:13 PM

Incredible!!!  :-]

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 1:28 PM

Bootjack:

Peace to you, Bootjack!                    I guess some days are more interesting than other days, eh?!          *smile*

Just came across this also today!                    From the Logos FaithLife Blog!         Incredibly interesting ...

http://blog.faithlife.com/blog/2014/04/heaven-hell-and-history/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FaithlifeBlog+%28Faithlife+Blog%29

I've been so busy today that I haven't had time to think it through; but, I'm wondering why the writer did not include

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilationism

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 1:30 PM

Bootjack:

Incredible that there are many different perspectives?  With billions of people on earth I am surprised there are only 40,000 denominations.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 2:20 PM

Bootjack:

No, on the contrary, I assume the author truly believes that.  He isn't the first or the only one.  You may now stick your head back in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 2:31 PM

I agree with Bootjack.

I know that this board seems to look down on any suggestion that seeks to maintain orthodoxy and it does not seem to matter to most that we have those who take it on themselves to discuss heretical sects with the stated aim to "promote their interests" but the issue is not that such works are being published but the context in which they are published.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 2:44 PM

Maybe "accelerating" would have been the better word, but I think I'll still remain with "incredible" just the same.

Now George, you do have to watch that temper of yours. You realize that type of thing comes back and bites ya, sometimes in the respiratory system! Behave yourself, ya hear!!!  

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:04 PM

In today's current Christian climate, who's to say what is truly orthodox and truly heresy? We use the term "orthodoxy" as if it universally means something, but what it really means is what we personally think orthodoxy is or should be, or what our particular church or denomination or seminary or group of friends think it should mean.

If we give way to cries to ban a book such as this from Logos' offerings because it offends someone's orthodoxy, what logically precludes us from doing the same towards any other resource that teaches or supports a belief someone else disagrees with?

We recently had a forum poster that was convinced the Roman Catholic Church was nothing less than satanic. He wanted all RCC books off Logos. Why not? That's not a hard position to support if you're Reformed or Southern Baptist, for example. He was eventually pushed out because Logos isn't in the business of defining orthodoxy and heresy. That's a church's job, and Logos is a business. Logos as a library would be the same way.

And so it goes with this same non-controversy over Dracula and the above book. Someone disagree with it?

So what.

They shouldn't read it or buy it then.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:06 PM

Bootjack:

Maybe "accelerating" would have been the better word, but I think I'll still remain with "incredible" just the same.

Now George, you do have to watch that temper of yours. You realize that type of thing comes back and bites ya, sometimes in the respiratory system! Behave yourself, ya hear!!!  

What temper?  You're still alive, aren't you?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:09 PM

Yes, yes George I am. Thank you for the restraint!  :-) 

Posts 6228
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:30 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Bootjack:

FYI, the book and reactions to it can be found here: https://www.logos.com/product/42134/eliminating-satan-and-hell 

Bootjack, while I would not agree with this book, it would be helpful to see the arguments first-hand in order to have an intelligent discussion with those who might follow the arguments.

There are other books in Logos I find un-Biblical, even anti-Biblical (IMHO, of course), this would just be one more example of one of those. I have some of those, others I don't. (I will restrain myself from giving specifics, lest I start another argument.)

Hopefully we can agree that by offering a book Logos is not endorsing it. Bob engages the discussion about the value of the book in the link above and basically says that.

I ordered it to have first hand arguments too.  It'd be nice to have something recent other than the old arguments of the SDA and JW's.  I'm looking forward to his "today's scientific knowledge" (as if science could explain spiritual things...LOL).  Please Logos, don't listen to complaints on this book, keep it and publish it.  You don't even have to specify if you endorse it or not, that's irrelevant.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:37 PM

For those that are buying. With all the headings and only 198 pages, I think Your gonna be disappointed.

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:37 PM

DAL:
I ordered it to have first hand arguments too.  It'd be nice to have something recent other than the old arguments of the SDA and JW's

You might be interested in this Dissertation. http://www.atsjats.org/transaction_detail.php?id=94 It will be coming to Logos (hopefully soon)

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/83928/588667.aspx#588667 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:38 PM

In the mean time you may want to put in an order for this. https://www.logos.com/product/42133/the-geography-of-hell-in-the-teaching-of-jesus 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6228
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 3:42 PM

Lynden Williams:

In the mean time you may want to put in an order for this. https://www.logos.com/product/42133/the-geography-of-hell-in-the-teaching-of-jesus 

Thanks! Will read the other link too.

DAL

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS