Study on Joseph

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 3 2014 10:55 PM

Hello all,

How would any of you suggest me doing a study on Joseph (Gen 37). I want to start a series on Joesph, so I want any and all information I can find on him! How would any of you organize the info what are the steps of doing a search ect...

Thanks

-Jerry

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 4:53 PM

Gathering info is straightforward as you can perform a search for "Joseph":

• in a Bible Search restricted to the range Genesis 37
  • in Basic Search of a collection with a rule like subject:(O.T.Genesis, O.T.commentaries)
  • in a Passage Guide on Gen 37:1-4 [overlaps with above Basic Search]
  • in a Topic Guide on Joseph (with references to bible dictionaries and Biblical People)

I would then gather significant articles into a Clipping or a series of Clippings.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 5:25 PM

If you feel like investing to expand your library at all, here are some books specifically on Joseph:

Monograph

Joseph: The Patriarch of Character

Butler, John G.

Monograph

Face2Face with Joseph: Encountering the Man Who Saved His People

Ellsworth, Roger; Robinson, Simon

Monograph

Joseph, Wise and Otherwise: The Intersection of Wisdom and Covenant in Genesis 37-50

Wilson, Lindsay

Monograph

The Last of the Patriarchs; or, Lessons from the Life of Joseph

Cumming, John

Bible Commentary

Living the Dream: Joseph for Today: A Dramatic Exposition of Genesis 37-50

Wilcox, Pete

Monograph

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose

Grigoni, Michael R.; Brown, Derek R.; Custis, Miles; Mangum, Douglas; Whitehead, Matthew M.

Monograph

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose: Leader's Guide

Grigoni, Michael R.; Brown, Derek R.; Custis, Miles; Mangum, Douglas; Whitehead, Matthew M.

Media Collection

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose: Videos

Lexham Press; Lindsey, Scott

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 3:48 AM

Not related to "how to," but maybe a help: Walk Thru study guide on sale: https://vyrso.com/product/13819/a-walk-thru-the-life-of-joseph 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3273
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:59 PM

The Joseph study put out by Logos is also quite good.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:16 PM

Rosie Perera:

If you feel like investing to expand your library at all, here are some books specifically on Joseph:

Monograph

Joseph: The Patriarch of Character

Butler, John G.

Monograph

Face2Face with Joseph: Encountering the Man Who Saved His People

Ellsworth, Roger; Robinson, Simon

Monograph

Joseph, Wise and Otherwise: The Intersection of Wisdom and Covenant in Genesis 37-50

Wilson, Lindsay

Monograph

The Last of the Patriarchs; or, Lessons from the Life of Joseph

Cumming, John

Bible Commentary

Living the Dream: Joseph for Today: A Dramatic Exposition of Genesis 37-50

Wilcox, Pete

Monograph

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose

Monograph

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose: Leader's Guide

Media Collection

Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose: Videos

Lexham Press; Lindsey, Scott

And don't forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Joseph  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 5:54 PM

David Taylor Jr:

David which one would that be?

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 6:41 PM

Jerry Walker:

David Taylor Jr:

David which one would that be?

I already mentioned it. It's this one: Joseph: Understanding God's Purpose

(https://www.logos.com/product/31438/studies-in-faithful-living-patriarchs-collection#003)

Unless there's some other study on Joseph created by Logos that I'm unaware of.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:13 AM

Thanks for all of your help... I got a few of the resources suggested. Thanks again!

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:27 AM

One last question. How would I do a collection (what would be the rule) for Joseph?

Posts 3273
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 8:43 AM

Tag the resources you want with "joseph" then create collection with parameter mytag: joseph

How to upload logs

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 11:01 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Tag the resources you want with "joseph" then create collection with parameter mytag: joseph

Very important: do not put that space after the colon after mytag: or it won't work. It would be searching for books that had the word "mytag" somewhere in their metadata and "joseph" somewhere in their metadata.

And to narrow down your library so you can tag the Joseph studies more easily, try the filter:

(title:joseph, subject:joseph) ANDNOT (title:josephus, subject:josephus)

Actually, depending on your library, that filter might work just by itself for your collection rule without the need for tagging. But you might still need to omit such things as "Genealogy from Adam to Joseph" and "Redemptoris Custos (St. Joseph: Guardian of the Redeemer)". If you do then select all the resources that show up in the filtered list, Ctrl+Click to unselect the ones that aren't relevant, and then click Add Tag to tag them all.

Posts 3273
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 11:34 AM

Rosie Perera:

David Taylor Jr:

Very important: do not put that space after the colon after mytag: or it won't work. It would be searching for books that had the word "mytag" somewhere in their metadata and "joseph" somewhere in their metadata.

And to narrow down your library so you can tag the Joseph studies more easily, try the filter:

(title:joseph, subject:joseph) ANDNOT (title:josephus, subject:josephus)

Actually, depending on your library, that filter might work just by itself for your collection rule without the need for tagging. But you might still need to omit such things as "Genealogy from Adam to Joseph" and "Redemptoris Custos (St. Joseph: Guardian of the Redeemer)". If you do then select all the resources that show up in the filtered list, Ctrl+Click to unselect the ones that aren't relevant, and then click Add Tag to tag them all.

Excellent point!  I actually did not mean to put the space in, that's what I get for typing too fast ;)

How to upload logs

Posts 11111
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 11:38 AM

Rosie Perera:
If you do then select all the resources that show up in the filtered list, Ctrl+Click to unselect the ones that aren't relevant, and then click Add Tag to tag them all.

This will work for a simple mytag-collection (however the mytags seem to work as collections in L5 so one technically doesn't need to build them), but on the long run it presupposes a user who tags all resources.

Leaving the collection with a rule will work automatically and include future books on Joseph that a user might buy, such as the ones mentioned in this thread:

(title:joseph, subject:joseph, mytag:joseph) ANDNOT (title:(josephus, "joseph ratzinger") OR subject:(josephus, ratzinger, Lathrop, "joseph, saint"))

(The mytag doesn't produce hits in my current library, but if I were to encounter a Joseph-relevant resource - such as a commentary on Genesis - I could tag it accordingly and it would show up in the collection)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 11:47 AM

NB.Mick:

Leaving the collection with a rule will work automatically and include future books on Joseph that a user might buy, such as the ones mentioned in this thread:

(title:joseph, subject:joseph, mytag:joseph) ANDNOT (title:(josephus, "joseph ratzinger") OR subject:(josephus, ratzinger, Lathrop, "joseph, saint"))

Yes, good point. And if there are books that your rule doesn't omit easily you can manually drag them to the "Minus these resource" section. I probably wouldn't keep a book on "growing great kids" in a Joseph studies collection, even if it is based on raising a modern-day Joseph. I prefer dragging individual books to omit them rather than making an exception in the rule just to exclude that one book. Keeps the rule looking neater and more readable.

Posts 11111
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 12:01 PM

Rosie Perera:
I prefer dragging individual books to omit them rather than making an exception in the rule just to exclude that one book. Keeps the rule looking neater and more readable.

Yes, this is surely right also regarding the Lathrop book - actually a metadata issue, IMO - whereas I put in the Ratzinger subject (currently only a hit in the title for me) and the "Joseph, Saint" on purpose to weed out future false positives.

EDIT: can it be that really no one congratulated you on passing the 15k posting limit? Or did I overlook that? Anyway: thanks for all your help and contributions! /EDIT

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 2:04 PM

NB.Mick:
EDIT: can it be that really no one congratulated you on passing the 15k posting limit? Or did I overlook that? Anyway: thanks for all your help and contributions! /EDIT

I think it was missed. I just noticed it myself yesterday. Thanks. It's a dubious achievement, I guess. My addiction is abated somewhat these days, though. Smile

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 2:44 PM

Rosie Perera:
It's a dubious achievement, I guess. My addiction is abated somewhat these days, though.

Congratulations on being a non-addicted 15k posterSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1649
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 2:54 PM

Rosie Perera:
My addiction is abated somewhat these days, though. Smile

15K - "not an addiction but an accomplishment!

Thanks Rosie

Regards, SteveF

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 4:00 PM

SteveF:
15K - "not an addiction but an accomplishment!

I'd rather be fit enough to go for a 15k run (or even 10k) than have spent so much time sitting in front of the computer that I've accumulated 15k posts to my name. But whatever. Thanks for the congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS