What is the retail value of my collection?

Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11063
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 11:34 AM

Schezic, you certainly fooled me (which isn't too hard). I'd have put you at maybe 35. 40 tops. True, your handle predates me a bit.

But at the rate I'm thoroughly enjoying my iPad mini, I'd bet my Logos5 is going to bite the dust.  It's kind of like a car that successfully got me down the road, and I'm thankful for that.  I'll probably do a $20 transfer to hopefully a college lady that's the immensely curious sort.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 11:41 AM

Denise:
I'll probably do a $20 transfer to hopefully a college lady that's the immensely curious sort.
Great. That will probably net a $3 deduction for your estate. Big Smile

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 11:56 AM

For those of you needing a worthy cause to donate your libraries to, I have just formed the Schezic Scholastic Society. That should wrinkle a nose at the good ol' IRS.Stick out tongue

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:04 PM

Schezic:

For those of you needing a worthy cause to donate your libraries to, I have just formed the Schezic Scholastic Society. That should wrinkle a nose at the good ol' IRS.Stick out tongue

You better tell them you prefer coffee over tea   Wink

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:19 PM

Robert;

That is awesome facial hair. I truly am impressed. I must admit to a sick fantasy. I would love to see a picture of you , Clean shaven, With the beard on top of your head.! Anyone good with photoshop? Big SmileStick out tongue

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:34 PM

Willard Scott:

Robert;

That is awesome facial hair. I truly am impressed. I must admit to a sick fantasy. I would love to see a picture of you , Clean shaven, With the beard on top of your head.! Anyone good with photoshop? Big SmileStick out tongue

Willard,  I do have a picture of myself from just a few years ago clean shaven

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:45 PM

Depending upon when you became a Logos user and made your major purchases, the total at the end of your order history page is a legitimate estimate.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 12:48 PM

Robert Harner:

Thanks;

That should make the photoshopping much easier.

Seriously, You were an extremely handsome young man. Thanks for not being offended at my sick sense of humor. Big Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:02 PM

MJ. Smith:

Depending upon when you became a Logos user and made your major purchases, the total at the end of your order history page is a legitimate estimate.

If I had to rebuild my library at today's retail prices it would cost several multiples of my account sum total.

On the other hand, If I tried to sell my library on the open market I would e lucky to get 25% of my account sum total.. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:04 PM

Willard Scott:

Robert Harner:

Thanks;

That should make the photoshopping much easier.

Seriously, You were an extremely handsome young man. Thanks for not being offended at my sick sense of humor. Big Smile

At my age I don't offend easy.

Wait a minute . . . I was handsome???  Surprise

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

Your comment ignores  the purchases I made from the early Nineties untill 12/2000, which  would exclude hall the value of my collection.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:20 PM

Robert Harner:
Wait a minute . . . I was handsome???  Surprise
Very few of us retain our youthful charm. Wink

Posts 3989
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 2:08 PM

If you are going for maximum deductible, you should try to figure out the absolute maximum value of your library. By which I mean the number circled in the image below :)

If you can figure that number out for ALL of your packages, then that would seem like a better deduction ;)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 2:14 PM

abondservant:
If you can figure that number out for ALL of your packages, then that would seem like a better deduction ;)
But that doesn't account for inflation.

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 2:27 PM

Paul C:

abondservant:
But that doesn't account for inflation.

It's a better deduction until after the audit.

Alas, the IRS doesn't account for inflation either.

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 2:51 PM

David Paul:

While I fully understand the reasoning behind the EULA, I do also think it is absurd on a practical level. The idea that my two kids can't use my library is over-the-top ridiculous. 

I do not think Logos objects to your kids using your library while they are your dependents living in your house.  As you note, Bod is not a stickler for the absurd.

However, there is nothing absurd in saying once your kids are grown, living on their own, they cannot regularly use your Logos, as if they were co-owners. That is simply business,and as it should be.  At least, no more than one person should use it at a time.  After all, everyone could not have the same paper book at the same time.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 2:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

True, but for those of us who were buying Logos resources more than 18 years ago, it is not at all an accurate estimate, as early purchases are not included.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 3:09 PM

Super.Tramp:

If I had to rebuild my library at today's retail prices it would cost several multiples of my account sum total.

On the other hand, If I tried to sell my library on the open market I would e lucky to get 25% of my account sum total.. 

That is frustrating for those selling.  However, it is equally true for paper books, as well as Logos books.  I tend to buy expensive sets of paper books that I want used off of Amazon or Ebay to save money.  That is how I have collected paper copies of  the Bicentennial Edition of The Works of John Wesley, for example, and it has saved me hundreds of dollars.  

Many times a $100 plus paper book can be bought for $25 or less in excellent condition used.

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 3:20 PM

Michael Childs:
Many times a $100 plus paper book can be bought for $25 or less in excellent condition used.

And yet if you try to sell that same $100+ paper book to a used bookstore with a "we buy books" sign out front, you're lucky if you get $5-10 for it. They need to make a profit to stay in business.

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 4:05 PM

Michael Childs:

David Paul:

While I fully understand the reasoning behind the EULA, I do also think it is absurd on a practical level. The idea that my two kids can't use my library is over-the-top ridiculous. 

I do not think Logos objects to your kids using your library while they are your dependents living in your house.  As you note, Bod is not a stickler for the absurd.

However, there is nothing absurd in saying once your kids are grown, living on their own, they cannot regularly use your Logos, as if they were co-owners. That is simply business,and as it should be.  At least, no more than one person should use it at a time.  After all, everyone could not have the same paper book at the same time.

My kids are young adults. I have no problem encouraging them to get their own base packages for their own study and use. They could thus make and keep their own set of notes in their own Logos library set. But I really do not see why they should have to replicate all of my resources. Say they own some of the Lexham Study Guides and one of them mentions a relevant item in NICNT. It really shouldn't be a problem for them to use my account to access that resource. Sure, I could "allow" them to do it as it stands, but I shouldn't have a perpetual ethical cloud hanging over my head as to whether I am honoring some software agreement according to Hoyle just because I'm letting my kids use my top-end, multi-thousand dollar software titles...I don't care how old they are. The EULA is an agreement...but it is also a decision based on a variety of circumstances and considerations, and like all such agreements, it is subject to change. I think, and have always thought, that single-user agreements for dozens of multi-volume resources is crazy insane...ridiculous in the extreme. I signed on because of the power and possibilities in the program, but my wanting to utilize that program power set is not inherently dependent upon the particular EULA that is in effect. It can be modified (which Logos is pretty much free to do at will).

Years 3-4 years back, I suggested that resources with price tags that cross a certain theoretical limit (and there could be a series of steps based on increasing cost) would not be purchased wholly by one single individual, but would be purchased in a "share" format. For instance, a $500 commentary collection would be purchased by two customers for $250 each. In practice, the price would be $250 for the customer--thus Logos would, for accounting purposes with the publisher, consider two customer purchases to be one complete resource purchase. The reason I think this is a fair scenario is because it is just a lot closer to how high ticket library items get used in the "non digital" world. In practice, I suspect that this would end up with Logos making more sales overall, because as the individual customer's finances get stretched much further and they are able to acquire 2 to 3 to 4 times as many resources for the same amount of money, they are creating a library that is all the more leveraged to do more and more powerful work. It is quite likely that customers will spend at least as much as they would have spent before, but because they have made "shared" purchases, their libraries will be that much more powerful and that much more utilitarian and capable of amazing results. Each person who has a library that makes them a "power user" will be far more likely to see a need to continue investing in that library...

...but...and this is a but I think about all the time...if no one else can use my library, and I know I am buying resources I will never use, the law of diminishing returns will kick in and I will just quit at some point. Call it self-serving if you like, but I am convinced that Logos and all of its partner publishers will benefit by loosening the EULA confinements and rapidly commoditizing the resources being offered. In other words, make stuff cheaper and open, and I for one (and others, I suspect) will continue to increase my library's leverage with new purchases.

I will be far more likely to get the "big daddy whole library bundles" by Baker, Fortress Press, and Zondervan, etc., if I know my kids might get around to reading them at some point if I don't. It really is the difference between making a sale or not making a sale.

Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS