Kistemaker e Hendriksen

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Cristiano Franco | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 8 2014 3:08 PM

Why the price difference ($ 200) of the Spanish and English version of comments Kistemaker and Hendriksen? Was thinking of buying in Spanish, but my financial situation is unfeasible.

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 3:21 PM

Presumably a combination of supply and demand (less customers interested in the spanish version means higher prices for those users) and different publishers.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 3:49 PM

Royalties have to go to both the original authors and the translator(s) as well.

One thing you could do is save up and get it as part of a base package like Biblioteca Premier.

Posts 6069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 7:56 PM

Alabama and Elnwood have summarized it pretty well.  Also, as Elnwood suggested, save up and get it as part of a Premier base package.  

I must agree though, the pre-pub price was $129 and then moved up to $179 and from there it went up to the clouds.  Same thing happened to the Spanish Base Packages.  The were relatively cheap but then moved up in price quite a bit and the response was "they don't sell as much as the English Base packages" plus royalties for author and publisher and translators.  It's a bummer since Hispanics don't have the buying power Americans do.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 8:33 PM

DAL:
 It's a bummer since Hispanics don't have the buying power Americans do.

Quite a generalization there.    

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 12 2014 8:08 PM

Super.Tramp:

DAL:
 It's a bummer since Hispanics don't have the buying power Americans do.

I was told that and I believe it to be true, but is not necessarily a generalization, but in a lot of senses it's true; especially when you live in Latin american countries Wink and Logos lists their prices in Dollars not the X country's currency.

DAL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 12 2014 8:54 PM

DAL:
and Logos lists their prices in Dollars not the X country's currency.

Maybe Logos is targeting the Spanish speakers in the United States. The Hispanics in my neighbourhood drive pickup trucks that cost $30K to $40K. They can certainly afford Logos at the current rates.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 534
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 13 2014 12:23 PM

Super.Tramp:
Yes...

DAL:
but is not necessarily a generalization, but in a lot of senses it's true; especially when you live in Latin american countries
Yes...

..."in the old days of libronix" spanish and portuguese Ressource-CDs were sold a lot(!!!) cheaper in Latin American Countries. With hardcopies like CDs it was possible to do so... How would/could/should it be "online"? ...similar to academic pricing? 

DAL:
and Logos lists their prices in Dollars not the X country's currency
you can switch the currency listing to any other in your user-account - however it doesn't change the price Drinks

Posts 6069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 13 2014 2:17 PM

Super.Tramp:

The Hispanics in my neighbourhood drive pickup trucks that cost $30K to $40K. They can certainly afford Logos at the current rates.

Well, then maybe the Hispanics in your neighborhood can, but not all of them drive the same type of cars in all neighborhoods. Wink Plus, the point is not the Hispanics in your neighborhood, but Hispanics in the ministry, which a lot of them struggle financially and can't really afford Logos, especially when the Spanish versions of some products go up very high (from $129 to $179 to the current price of $359 compared to the $159.95 for the English version of Hendriksen and Kistemaker- that's quite a jump). 

L.A.:

..."in the old days of libronix" spanish and portuguese Ressource-CDs were sold a lot(!!!) cheaper in Latin American Countries. With hardcopies like CDs it was possible to do so... How would/could/should it be "online"? ...similar to academic pricing? 

I think you might want to check your sources, but from what I saw they were not cheaper, in fact, they were more expensive unless you did what some dishonest people did - buy bootlegged copies and crack the serial # which was easy to do back then.  Also having something on "hard copies CD's" doesn't necessarily make it possible for it to be cheaper.  Also, I think you are missing the point and moving on to something else that is not even being mentioned here -- nobody is saying for prices to be different online.  The Original Post was about "why are the Spanish versions of some resources more expensive than others by such a big margin;" the answer was given and I threw in my two cents based on what a Logos rep told me.

L.A.:

...you can switch the currency listing to any other in your user-account - however it doesn't change the price Drinks

It doesn't change them in my account.  On the contrary, it specifies that "Prices are listed in US Dollars;" but again, nobody is asking for the price to change.

And as far as my American brethren having more buying power, yes, it maybe "quite a generalization" but it proves to be true at least 90% of the time, so it's a reality and it shouldn't be taken in a negative way - at least, I don't take it that way. I think it's good for the economy Smile Yes

Posts 9754
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 14 2014 1:34 AM

Dal,

by all fairness, even today when you check out Logos prices for the same book or for comparable packages, the Spanish language resources are usually much cheaper, which probably reflects the different purchasing power. After all, publishers set the price points so that they can sell to their preferred customer group. But publishers (and Logos as well) also use prices to communicate a perception of value on a continuum of products.  'Kistemaker and Hendriksen' is an exception which means that the Logos price for this commentary series is rather low in comparison to other Baker products. I think this is because until quite recently the Libronix CD-ROM version of it was available for a fraction of this price.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 534
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 14 2014 12:59 PM

DAL:

L.A.:

I think you might want to check your sources

Dear DAL - I checked my sources: Sociedades Bíblicas Colombianas, Carrera 9 No. 79A-03 - Bogotá, D.C., COLOMBIA for "Compubiblia Professional" around 68.000 $Col, some years ago, that means 23 €, a good price for Colombians. The German Bible Society sold the same package for 68 €, a fair price yet, for Germans. Right now, the same package is sold by Logos for 46 € (62U$). Last year, I bought, a portuguese libronix-package in Recife, Brazil (in the Sociedades Bíblicas Brasilleiras' Shop). Logos doesn't offer this package anymore. But is was about half the price. I bought too one of the last hardcopies of the Biblioteca Digital Esperança for 248 R$ (80-90 €), wich is sold now for 193 € (242 U$). 

As you can see, I bought it legally, just before Logos offered it online. ...it was a bargain, yes... But, if you've read my post, I didn't mentioned Kistemaker but spanish/portuguese Ressource-CDS in general. But even Kistemaker's Commentary on James in Portuguese (Tiago, as you now), is sold as a paper-hardcopy for 100 R$ (45,45 U$) today in a Cristian Bookstore in Fortaleza, Brazil. Logos offers the Spanish Commentary (Santiago+1-2Juan) for 19 U$. ((By the way. I buy Logos-Products this way because of the lack of money - and I'm fine with it. It is just at is was in the times of paper-hardcopies. "Big is good" but not necessarily better. Just my opinion.))

Todo solo para comparar - no más! I'm not Software-Guerrillero and don't like the way too much Christians possibly act (as you mention - why??), cracking codes etc. But as you can see, prices are changing and quite different depending on the country - and - as I mentioned!! - in the "old libronix days". Pues, in the past it was possible offering libronix/logos-products at different prices in different countries, simply because of the different buying power. And a lot fine people sponsored (and do so today) publishers to be able to sell Christian books cheaper, at least in Colombia and the United Bible Societies (Colombian, Brazilian etc...).

That seems not be possible online with download products. Or would it be? Maybe offering a sponsored price for people with an, for example, Brazilian Credit Card and Brazilian Bank Account buying from within Brazil (by Brazilian law they would need a Brazilian tax-number, being residents). I don't know if it were possible... And that would include "rich" Brazilian Pastors and exclude "poorer" US-Americans or Europeans. So - it wouldn't be perfect neither - but maybe broaden Logos' market. --- OK - that was not the original point - I know.... 

Dios te bendiga ricamente! 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS