Need a Resource Suggestion

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 8 2014 6:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a commentary that has resources more like a bible handbook?  What I am looking for is a commentary or guide that focuses more on history, culture,background, etc. more than interpretation. Does anyone know of a resource like that?

Bill

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 6:40 PM

Harper's Bible Commentary

Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture

The first (Harper's) might be the best one volume for your needs, but the second would be worth a look too. Although both occasionally veer off into mild amount of interpretation, both have good amounts of historical and cultural background.

-Dan

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 6:46 PM

William:
Can anyone recommend a commentary that has resources more like a bible handbook?  What I am looking for is a commentary or guide that focuses more on history, culture,background, etc. more than interpretation

I'm not exactly sure these will fit the bill, but here are some resources I go to when seeking answers to questions that you pose:

IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament and IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament also Collin's Bible Companion. There are more but these should do for now. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 6:55 PM

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament and Old Testament (9 vols.)

Is nice but I didn;t recommend it because because although it fits you bill fairly good, it seems overly high in price.

-Dan

Posts 24952
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 7:44 PM

1. Commentaries:-

The New Manners and Customs of the Bible - inexpensive. The Title states its focus.

Willmingtons Bible Handbook - inexpensive. Notes Key Verses and Key Facts (historical).

2. Bible Notes (can be used in the Commentaries section of Guides):-

Spirit Filled Life Study Bible  - inexpensive. Focuses on study, so has various summaries of each book e.g. Author, Date, Background, Content, Personal Application, Christ Revealed and The Holy Spirit at Work. The New Spirit Filled.... version isn't as good.

The New Unger's Bible Handbook (2005 - can't find on Logos web page) - has a Bible and Archaeology section and presents bible books in outlines and themes. Well worth it if you get it!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 8:06 PM

Dave Hooton:

The New Unger's Bible Handbook (2005 - can't find on Logos web page) - has a Bible and Archaeology section and presents bible books in outlines and themes. Well worth it if you get it!

I believe this was a Moody resource.

Posts 24952
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 12:52 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I believe this was a Moody resource.

Thank you - that accounts for its absence.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 1:42 AM

Hi William - Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I agree with Dan.

In my opinion Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament and Old Testament (9 vols.) is the absolute best commentary for what you're looking for. You can take a peak at its pages HERE but definitely buy it on Logos.

It is pricey, but I think it's worth it. It might be worth calling a Logos sales rep and seeing if they can give you a discount.

Posts 26540
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 2:11 AM

Unfortunately not in Logos, but the materials from Pilch are very good.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1890
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 6:14 AM

William:
Can anyone recommend a commentary that has resources more like a bible handbook?  What I am looking for is a commentary or guide that focuses more on history, culture,background, etc. more than interpretation. Does anyone know of a resource like that?

This is probably more narrowly focused than you're thinking about, but Keener's commentary on Acts is over the top with history, culture, etc.

https://www.logos.com/product/32500/acts-an-exegetical-commentary

I wouldn't have titled it "exegetical commentary," since IMO it focuses so much more on the culture, geography, history, and customs than on, for example, the original language text.

Donnie

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 9:02 AM

Dan and all, thank you for the great feedback.  Didn't realize I had both IVPs until you mentioned it but they both have what I was looking for.  I will also look into the others and even though it seems a bit pricey I'm pretty sure I will grab the Zondervan set too.

Thanks again everyone!

Bill

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS