Logos Crashing when I Open (During Indexing)

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:39 PM

Hi All

Hope you are all well. A happy New Year to you all.

Logos keeps on crashing when I open it. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me please?

1. I am running Logos 4 on VMFusion (Virtual Software for Mac). The OS is Win XP.

2. I have updated XP my system with all available updates on Windows Update. 

3. This is a brand new install of logos 4 with no previous versions on the hard-drive.

4. I downloading the Logos 4 installer from the Website and proceeded to install.

5. Everything has worked just fine, 20 GB of resources (approx. 7,000 books) I own have now downloaded.

6. 14 hours later and the index is still running (about 13 hrs is the 'estimated' time for completion).

7. I have been able to open Logos 4 and play around with it (during the indexing).

8. This is my problem: recently Logos 4 started crashing when I try and open it (still during indexing). The error reads, "Logos Bible Software 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

9. I have tried all the fixes on the Wiki and forums, without avail.

10. I re-installed a fresh copy of Logos 4 over the previous copy - still the crash continues when I try and open Logos.

11. I am presuming that once the indexing is completed the crashing should cease.  If the crashing is caused by me trying to access Logos when indexing, that makes senses (although it is strange that it was letting me access Logos earlier).

12. Here is a copy of the log: http://sn.im/txq7s-mos

Any help is very much appreciated.

Every Blessing

Mark Rodgers

Scotland, UK

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:11 PM

Hi Mark

There is a Synchronisation error followed by an unrecoverable error which appears to be connected with the Home Page.

• Is indexing continuing (how much time is left)?

Send logs if you encounter errors from the above, and just let indexing complete before loading L4.

Also, try to send Logos4Indexer.log even though it is still running (load it to a text editor and Save to another file).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:25 PM

Thanks Dave

In answer to your questions.

1. Indexing us continueing

2. Indexing states there is now 16 hrs left.

3. As soon as homepage opens Logos 4 crashes.

4. Have followed advice on: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Not_Starting (out of interest on a Mac running 'virtual' Windows OS the keys to press are CTRL + Shift) - tt still crashes

5. Will let the indexing complete and then update on progress (unless you or anyone else have the answer? Could it just simply be the fact that I am trying to access Logos 4 whilst indexing and this is messing things up?).

Thanks for your help.

Very much appreciated.

Mark

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:13 PM

Mark, please post the logos4.log from your attempt to start on a blank page + logos4Indexer.log as I described above.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:41 PM

Hi Dave

As requested:

1. Logos 4 Log (Blank Page): http://sn.im/txqw1-fhp

2. Logos 4 Indexer Log: http://sn.im/txqw2-llj

Once again, thank you for your very kind help.

Mark

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:42 PM

Should also have noted that the indexing time has now reduced to 8 hrs...

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:04 AM

Latest update.

1. I find that the indexing is finished when I come down this morning.

2. I open Logos and it crashes. Here is the log report: http://tr.im/J9gI-ZVn

3. After the crash Logos begins to index again. It now shows 13 hours remaining?

4. If I need to re-install everything again, how do I save my 20g (7,000) of downloaded books - I would hate to have to re-load these again.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated - it's driving me a bit crazy!

Mark

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:08 AM

Here is a copy of the latest Logos 4 Indexing Log: http://tr.im/J9ic-kSM

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:18 AM

Not sure if this is helpful, but In the Logos 4 log report there is an error:

"2010-01-01 14:14:02.6305 1 Error OurApp Unhandled exception: System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: The database disk image is malformed

database disk image is malformed".

Ehm... looking to the Guru's for help... 

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:35 AM

Bump.... :)

Any help would be SO appreciated!

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:52 AM

I would only be able to add, Mark, that your circumstances and the behavior of your software is very similar to something that happened to me shortly after the RC was released: Win XP in VMWare Fusion, large library (though not as big is yours), Logos wouldn't start during and following indexing. My error message was not exactly the same, however. Mine was an error in the "product.cab" file. They may well be related, however, as the error messages may have become more precise with subsequent program updates.

Long story short, it was too technical and new of an issue to be handled in the forums. I needed the help of a second-level tech guy at 800-87LOGOS. I don't recall the solution exactly, but I do remember that I did not have to do a clean install. I did have to re-index, however--if I'm recalling correctly.

Posts 3
PatGrant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 3:56 PM

Dave,

I think I have a problem similar to Mark's. However, I'm running XP on a Dell PC. Yesterday, I contacted Tech Support. Among other questions, after I had successfully installed L4 and the associated updates, I wanted to determine if I could specify an alternate storage location for my Resource files as was available with L3. The tech said the only way to specify the location was to uninstall L4 and start over. {Really bad idea!!! I should have just left well enough alone. Crying  }

After I uninstalled L4 and rebooted my PC, I started the reinstallation. First of all, the customization doesn't allow for different locations for individual files, oh well. I went to bed waiting for the download and indexing, everything appeared to be functioning normally. Each time I tried to start L4 this morning I got a MS trouble report screen. I actually sent the first report on. After reading how to capture logs, I used Mark Barnes procedure. The error reported in the log was: "The database schema (11) is newer than the latest schema recognized by this code (9). The database cannot be opened."

I uninstalled and reinstalled once more with without any improvement. Bottom line: Where do I go from here?

This is my first attempt at a trouble report, so I'm not sure how to upload my system status. Consequently, I pasted it here.
Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1.60GHz -1.99 GB of RAM
Hard Drive: TOSHIBA MK6026GAX Size - 51.18 GB Free Space -19.05 GB
Windows XP – Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3482.Logos4.log
4174.Logos4Indexer.log

Posts 3698
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 4:00 PM

Mark Rodgers:
Any suggestions

I'm not a guru, but it sounds like you may have gotten stuck on SR1. SR2 is already out, so you MAY be able to get back on track by trying dowloading manually from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe .

It won't touch your books... just your software.

Blessings!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3
PatGrant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 4:20 PM

Downloaded the script and tried running it. I received a Runtime Error from MS Visual C++ Runtime Library. The text was: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Pleas contact the application's support team for more information.

It was a good idea though.  Smile

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 4:25 PM

Mark Rodgers:

Bump.... :)

Any help would be SO appreciated!

Mark,  so sorry. Timezones dictate that I'm asleep at the time of your latest posts! And I can't read them because the URL you use is having problems!  Can you attach directly to this site as per Method 2 http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs

The sample log you quoted is not very hopeful, as Logos advised rebuilding the index in a similar case! However, if you could run a scan on your hard drive and look for bad sectors we can eliminate one potential cause.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 4:43 PM

grantp@radiks.net:

Downloaded the script and tried running it. I received a Runtime Error from MS Visual C++ Runtime Library. The text was: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Pleas contact the application's support team for more information.

It was a good idea though.  Smile

You have such an old version of L4 (SR-5 from Nov 6) that we need to update you. So remove the \Install folder from your \logos4 installation ie. Logos4\Install.

The standard installation path is:-

XP -> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4

Vista/Win7 -> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Logos4

and you need to be able to view Hidden files and folders using Windows Explorer's Folder Options.

Note that is the location of \Install even if you have a custom installation folder!

Then try to re-install.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:15 PM

Hey Dave, Bill & Aaron

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to do a completely fresh install. Deleted all my resources (20 GB)...

I will let you know if I face any other problems. My system did shutdown abruptly a couple of times whilst when I was originally installing Logos. I am guessing this contributed to the problem.

Thanks also on the heads up for uploading logs.

In Christ

Mark

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:24 PM

Mark Rodgers:
I decided to do a completely fresh install.

Mark and Grant

Please hold off from a fresh install - - we have many issues with the latest L4 (SR-2) that I wouldn't want to inflict them upon you as well!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:30 PM

Oops... part through the download...

Would you recommend I scrap it?

If so if there a stable version I can download and if so how?

Cheers Dave, your help is very much appreciated.

Mark

Posts 25811
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:39 PM

Mark Rodgers:

Oops... part through the download...

Would you recommend I scrap it?

It's not often I do, but STOP it!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS