Church of Christ Library for Logos Bible Software

Page 4 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 29120
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 3:23 PM

Denise:

If I understand Daniel correctly, he's attempting to create a library, to which a series of members can purchase and have a reasonable assurance what they're reading is consistent with their faith (or as Daniel says, the New Testament church).

Personally, I think that's great.  I'd recommend that for many smaller groups, especially if they can fund a significant portion of the cost that Logos must pay.  

I may be wrong but I believe that this is what the long promised, still coming PB store was envisioned to provide. Because of Logos' generous policy of perpetually updating the tagging on resources, they have an overhead level that would be hard to negotiate if they took over such resources. I would love to see Logos become the hub for all church publications.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 17
Daniel Lange | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:02 PM

Hi Super (...)? I honestly don't feel comfortable quoting your user name. Nevertheless, you have asked this question several times, thus I would like to respond to you just quickly. 1st, judgment would be guided by a publications adherence to God's word. 2nd, judgment concerning the package resources will preferably be discerned collectively by the church of Christ Library for Logos Bible Software group.

A church of Christ Library for Logos Bible software should not be treated as if we are canonizing Scripture. This is a man made pool of resources that will in some degree be judged by the group's interest and likes. Some publications may not even wholly comply with New Testament doctrine, but given a high degree of leaning toward New Testament doctrine, it may qualify. I disagreed with some responses above such as Everett Ferguson, but some of his works are very helpful to the cause of New Testament teaching, and would likely be included as I have some of his works in my own library. Hope this helps, but if you are sincerely interested, please check back soon as I hope in the near future a collection of publications will be put together for the project and presented publicly.

Posts 17
Daniel Lange | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:04 PM

Thanks for the insight MJ. I am not familiar with "PB." Would you mind explaining that further?

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:15 PM

Daniel Lange:

Thanks for the insight MJ. I am not familiar with "PB." Would you mind explaining that further?

Personal Book = PB

I have Brother Guy N. Woods commentary on James in Personal Book format in my Logos Library.  I'm planning on taking the time to do his volume on John, 1st, 2nd Peter, 1st, 2nd, 3rd John and Jude.  Also Bro. McGarvey's volume on Mark, since I already have his Acts volume in my Logos library.  Personal Books would be a last resort alternative, in case Logos can't come to an agreement with "Church of Christ Publishers." Also, it would be cheaper doing them this way. Note: This is a screen shot when I had Logos 4, I now own Logos 5 along with some of the other new line of base packages.

DAL

Take a look:

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:16 PM

Oh my goodness, I didn't even think. 'Denise' might sound tramp-y. But maybe not.  It's hard to say, when one is an anti.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:23 PM

I like the recently introduced idea of a denomination (or New Testament church) funding a package. Contents could be determined by the religious group (though once developed,  rights are between Logos and the publisher). Could be sold by Logos to anyone of course.  

But the cost might be sky high.  It'd sort of be a 'denomination pre-pub' (or New Testament church pre-pub).

Conceptually Logos, similar to being a publisher for an author (self-publish), it would step into the shoes of many dieing small religious publishing houses attached to smaller religious groups.

OK, maybe not.

Posts 29120
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:27 PM

Daniel Lange:
1st, judgment would be guided by a publications adherence to God's word

Talk about a non answer. Most views represented in Christianity believe themselves to adhere to God's Word. Some can do a better job of defending their answer than others. Here the answer appears to be "me and my buddies." BTW ST grew up as a Church of Christ missionary kid in Japan - he was asking an honest question with a genuine purpose. You might also want to ask him who the original "Super Tramp" is.

Daniel Lange:
2nd, judgment concerning the package resources will preferably be discerned collectively by the church of Christ Library for Logos Bible Software group.

I would be very disappointed in Logos if they promoted this.approach. I see it as potentially eroding their credibility. If various denominations/sects/cults/theological stances which to form Faithlife Groups and/or offer PB files - more power to them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:46 PM

MJ. Smith:

Daniel Lange:
1st, judgment would be guided by a publications adherence to God's word

Talk about a non answer. Most views represented in Christianity believe themselves to adhere to God's Word. Some can do a better job of defending their answer than others. Here the answer appears to be "me and my buddies." BTW ST grew up as a Church of Christ missionary kid in Japan - he was asking an honest question with a genuine purpose. You might also want to ask him who the original "Super Tramp" is.

Daniel Lange:
2nd, judgment concerning the package resources will preferably be discerned collectively by the church of Christ Library for Logos Bible Software group.

I would be very disappointed in Logos if they promoted this.approach. I see it as potentially eroding their credibility. If various denominations/sects/cults/theological stances which to form Faithlife Groups and/or offer PB files - more power to them.

Don't be disappointed M.J. This is the type of inconsistent and somewhat arrogant attitude the younger generation of preachers get at  some "schools of preaching." I can tell he either went to SW or to Elvis' town to study to become a preacher (you know where Elvis Presley was from, right?).

One of the things that disappointed me a lot when I went to preaching school was to see how the school of preaching from the SW and the one in Elvis' town always thought they were better than other preaching schools.  Our students would be in one end and they (both SW and Elvis' town) would look at us and pretty much walk away.  If you wanted to talk to some of their students, they would barely talk to you or pretty much ignore you.  My thought to that kind of attitude was, "How disappointing is to see this type of attitude in our brotherhood when we're trying to promote the same goal as they." Soon I learned they were trained to have the "holier than thou" attitude and my school is better than yours.  So my approach was to continue preaching the Word and let God judge each according to their deeds/attitudes.

DAL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:10 PM

Daniel Lange:
Hope this helps, but if you are sincerely interested, please check back soon as I hope in the near future a collection of publications will be put together for the project and presented publicly

I am sincerely interested. I will pray for your speedy success.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

You might also want to ask him who the original "Super Tramp" is.

Regardless of who the original "Supertramp" is - I think Daniel approached his "screen name" with a pre-conceived idea and why not "passing a little bit of judgement" hence violating John 7:24, "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgement." - In short, he jumped the gun when he said he didn't feel comfortable quoting Supertramp's screen; mainly, the tramp part...LOL...that's why looking up words is helpful, because not all mean what we think they mean.  Take a look:

1. Supertramp Someone who wants to explore new places on foot, car, plane, etc. Chris McCandless referred to himself as "Alex Supertramp" as a surname. 2. tramp verb

1 to walk, tread, or step especially heavily <heard hobnailed boots tramping across the square>
synonyms trample, tromp; compare PLOD 1
related words march; thud; footslog, stodge, trudge; stamp, stomp
synonyms HIKE 2, tromp
synonyms TRAMPLE 2, stamp, stomp, tromp

Also: a journey on foot or a walking trip <took a long tramp through the woods>

Merriam-Webster, I. (1996). Merriam-Webster’s collegiate thesaurus. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster.

Now that you know, don't feel bad quoting the "tramp" part of his name Stick out tongue Angel It's in the Bible too and it doesn't mean what you thought it meant Wink

19 “Gad, a troop shall tramp upon him,
But he shall triumph at last.

The New King James Version. (1982). (Ge 49:19). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:17 PM

WoW,   DAL,

I just thought it meant hobo. Stick out tongue

Posts 7273
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:28 PM

Super.Tramp:

WoW,   DAL,

I just thought it meant hobo. Stick out tongue

It might, it might Stick out tongue - but as we emphasize in the church of Christ - Context, context, context! or else it becomes a pretext Wink

All joking aside, I don't think Daniel meant any harm.  I think he's just a newbie who's really excited with Logos that I totally agree with him that we should have a "Restoration Base Package" for those of the restoration persuasion - and I just made it an alliteration...hehehe

I'd love for it to be sooner than later, though, as that would be the best way to get resources cheaper.

DAL

Posts 29120
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:31 PM

DAL:
(you know where Elvis Presley was from, right?).

I'm old enough to remember Elvis getting draftedBig Smile

DAL:
school of preaching

Dad put literally hundreds through Boise ... how's that for a hotbed of Church of Christ preachers? Since Puget Sound College of the Bible closed there aren't many local choices.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:47 PM

DAL:
I don't think Daniel meant any harm.  I think he's just a newbie who's really excited with Logos that I totally agree with him that we should have a "Restoration Base Package"

No harm done.    I just hope he succeeds. I'm a little jaded and tend to throw cold water on everything. Sorry.

Posts 17
Daniel Lange | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 10:32 PM

Most readers at this point I would strongly suggest to see original posting and purpose of thread. If you do not identify with churches of Christ (non-liberal and non-anti movements, as should have been originally stated) then this thread may have little of any value for you at this stage in our development. This would especially relate to those who may disagree with the approach of the work. As stated before, however, a collection of titles and authors will hopefully be presented soon for public endorsement, which would then have a much broader relevance to the public square.

Posts 29120
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 12:06 AM

151427:
Most readers at this point I would strongly suggest to see original posting and purpose of thread. If you do not identify with churches of Christ (non-liberal and non-anti movements, as should have been originally stated) then this thread may have little of any value for you at this stage in our development.

You seem to still not understand that your definition is meaningless to most people on the forums. To show you why, as I was growing up "anti" applied to those who did not use musical instruments, "liberal" applied to the Christian Churches in the ecumenical movement that resulted in the United Church of Christ. To my sister-in-law, being from a different part of the country, "anti" meant unwilling to engage in multi-congregation institutions and "liberal" meant Northern/Western. To others "anti/liberal or" was used for the open/closed communion issue or one/many communion cups or separate preacher/elders as preachers or separate Bible classes for children or .... It would make more sense to make a Faithlife group for Restorationists and allow people to drop out as they see your goals are incompatible with your goals ... or be observers until they see your goals are similar to their own. Making a push that publicly fails can make it much harder to convince Logos that this is a group that needs attention. Please listen to your allies who have worked with Logos on the forums for years and have seen how groups succeed in getting recognition as a target audience. Otherwise, please stick to the PB route.

Posts 17
Daniel Lange | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 4:43 AM

Hi again, M.J.

Thank you again for the comment. I understand that this "description," I would better understand it may be broad and have a wide-range of meaning to some. I appreciate the concern. That is why those who do make request to join the group (again there is already a group established, readers please visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485846511646120/ to make request) these will receive further information as a type of screening to help better establish unity and prevent conflict. If I could edit my original post, I would probably change the description to say something a little more specific like churches of Christ (No non-institutional, instrumental, hand-clapping, boston, ecumenical movements, Christian church, or Disciple of Christ, etc.) Then again, this still might not cover every base, which is why further information will be shared upon request.

The good thing is, this post has already generated over a thousand views, and people are making request to join the group and help the effort. As Nehemiah said, God will prosper us. Readers are welcome to look again at our original post to see the purpose of this good work and join if this is something of interest.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 5:56 AM

Daniel Lange:

...I understand that this "description," I would better understand it may be broad and have a wide-range of meaning to some... If I could edit my original post, I would probably change the description to say something a little more specific...

Daniel,

Although, you can not change your original post you might consider creating a FaithLife account and group there, too. (see here  https://faithlife.com/ ) . Faithlife is Logos.com's social network and it is simular to facebook, but your faithlife account would be directly connected with your Logos.com account and Logos software account, too. Which means that as you and others create documents and personal books inside of Logos Bible Software you can immediately share them with anyone in your group or the greater public. In a Faithlife social group you and others could help share the work of editing resources before they are finally released, too. Anyway, there you could create a new statment of purpose and one that could be editied if you or someone else wanted to clear up a misunderstanding.

And, please keep in mind that on the world-wide-web our words are never as clear as we might imagine them to be!

Modern English has a great many dialects and is a mother tongue spoken in many nations(not to mention a 2nd or addition language for many, many others around the globe).

Some words, terms, or jargon that have taken on one meaning within the society (fellowship / congergation) that we live in might have a very different range of meanings in another English speaking community or within another dialect. And, guess what? Churches of Christ exist in many different countries and those that fellowship with it may use dialects of English and languages that differ in many ways from those that you are used to.  

One last thing though Daniel; I admire the humble spirit I sense in your words.

Grace and Peace,

Brian

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 6:51 AM

Oh, I think Daniel knows the english language quite well. And he also knows the terms liberal in the presence of anti .... they're church of Christ 'fightin' terms.  Kind of like motorcycle colors.

I think the part Daniel is clueless on, is the word 'forum'.  I think he's under the impression this is an announcement board and that the OP can 'manage' the conversation.  I think we all know starting a thread only stays on-course for a single entry.

But his comments bring back many, many hurtful memories.  I'm not referring to the hurt resulting from abiding by the guidance from the New Testament. Nor the hurt on the receiving side. Rather the penchant for managing other human beings by virtue of ones opinion (i.e. 'belief') and demanding the divine's full agreement.

The churches of Christ are a rough and tough world. Whether it's representative of the early first century church, hard to say. 1st John is a good clue. And of course the early chapters of 1st Corinthians.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 7:04 AM

Daniel Lange:
I would probably change the description to say something a little more specific like churches of Christ (No non-institutional, instrumental, hand-clapping, boston, ecumenical movements, Christian church, or Disciple of Christ, etc.) Then again, this still might not cover every base,

Do you actually paint that on your church signs? 

I wonder if you screen baptismal candidates that well.

Page 4 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS