Venue 8 Pro and Logos 5

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 7:45 AM

Josh;

I fear outmoded is a relative term. More to the point, it relates to our spoiled child within. Stick out tongue I have bought several machines in the last decade. Recently I dug out an old Dell laptop ....Pentium 4, XP, maxed out at 2GB ram. Funny thing is....it  runs L4 very well. I also have a netbook ...atom processor...also 2GB ram. Not quite as fast...but it searches faster than I type. So you see, These machines don't wear out, or get slower. .... We get progressively more spoiled. Stick out tongue

Posts 890
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 3:24 PM

For those of you that have invested in the Venue 8, I'd appreciate your experience with using it to project a PowerPoint for teaching/preaching.  If I could run Logos on the V8, AND teach/preach with it using PowerPoint, it would be an awesome arrow in my metaphorical quiver.  Also, what link on the Dell site are you finding the Venue 8?  I didn't see any listed.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 890
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 3:44 PM

Duplicate post. 

"I read dead people..."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 3:45 PM

Brother Mark:
Also, what link on the Dell site are you finding the Venue 8?  I didn't see any listed.
I got mine on the Dell Outlet site >>> http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/dfo_dfh_deals_page?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&dgc=ST&ST=Clearance%20Specials&cid=256585&lid=4956993&acd=123098073120560 

Scroll to the bottom. They are still listed ...But sold out at the moment. There are videos on youtube explaining how to project to a monitor wirelessly. I have no experience with the Miracast technology. But Yes, It can be done. If you do pursue it, Please keep us updated on the outcome. Big Smile

Posts 890
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 4:12 PM

Thanks Paul, I'll camp their site to see if they restock em.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 4:45 PM

You won't regret it. The Microsoft home and student Office suite retails for $140 and does include powerpoint...but not outlook. Big Smile

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 6:50 PM

My experience with Miracast isn't with the VP8, but rather with the Yoga 2 Pro.  I normally stream shows from TV.com with it to our bedroom TV.  There is a noticeable delay for streaming...the picture on the TV is always a few frames/seconds behind the laptop.  However, the effect is likely not as prounounced for a simple desktop app like Powerpoint. I'll see if I can try it and report back.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 10:24 AM

Hello Mr. Erstad

Are you still enjoying using your Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet?  Do you find that the font and reading ability in books/Logos a little fuzzy.

If you were buying one of these today, would you be worried it would soon be outdated.

Is the resolution really as poor as they say please?

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:20 PM

Josh,

Just FYI -- I have read that some Venue 8 pro owners report thermal issues. Knowing this is important to you, I would investigate this.

Bill

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 2:42 PM

I can report that after months, I have had zero thermal issues with this V8P. As for thermal issues, I have a Nexus 4--THAT has serious heat and battery limitations, but nothing as far as the V8P.

I haven't found much limitation with the resolution of the 8-inch Venue Pro either. For sitting casually, the size AND resolution seem just right. In other words, for me, it has "worn well." That surprises me since I had doubts about it before I ordered it. And with the V8P's good performance at 1080P resolution via a 23-inch monitor through an OTG cable, resolution isn't even an issue on a desk. In another location I run Logos 5 on a 30-inch 2560*1600 monitor, so that may provide some context for my observations. I've seen other V8P's in various stores and they all seem the same as far as display.

Considering what Microsoft and Logos are saying and not saying about future versions of Windows and Logos, I can only guess that with the last prices I've seen for V8Ps, the risk of this unit being outdated soon doesn't put much money at risk. It seems that true SSD prices have fallen like a rock lately, but how soon a true SSD might be available in a unit of this size wouldn't have me hesitating to buy a V8P at present. All the more if a refurbished V8P came with a copy of Microsoft Office. Lenovo may have pulled back or out of this size, but so far my refurbished V8P has worked every bit as well for me as the many refurbished units I have purchased over the years from the same company.

With a little help from others who have mentioned using touchmousepointer, I've had great success using it with this tablet. To me, the real limitation comes when a person wants to do something which in essence requires a physical keyboard.

I'd be eager to hear from Bill how his stylus integrates with Logos and a tablet. If anyone has had good experience with Dell's active stylus, I'd really like to hear about that as well.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 3:11 PM

Duane Erstad, Ph.D.:

I'd be eager to hear from Bill how his stylus integrates with Logos and a tablet. If anyone has had good experience with Dell's active stylus, I'd really like to hear about that as well.

Duane, I have the Asus Vivotab Note 8. As you described with your Dell Venue Pro 8, the Asus runs very cool. 

As far as the stylus goes, the stylus on the Asus integrates with Logos wonderfully. Highlighting is a breeze, for example. I scroll with my finger and then use the pen to invoke other actions, like bring up the library, close out resources, etc. The only problem is that being a Wacom digitizer, accuracy degrades around the edges of the digitizer. I get around this by running a Logos window that is slightly smaller than maximized.

Bill

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 6:18 AM

Anyone heard a rumor that this Dell Venue 8 Pro is being refreshed and may soon be called Dell Venue 2?

Also, I tried one locked down at Walmart and it was so dark...too dark in fact.  Is the resolution really as crummy as some say online?

What about brightness? (I just read Bill's comment on the heat...so I may pass or wait.)

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 7:11 AM

JoshInRI:

Also, I tried one locked down at Walmart and it was so dark...too dark in fact.  Is the resolution really as crummy as some say online?

What about brightness? (I just read Bill's comment on the heat...so I may pass or wait.)

The resolution and brightness of the Dell Venue 8 Pro are fine, as far as I'm concerned. My DV8P will get warm when running videos and games. That really doesn't bother me. I would say the Dell Active Stylus is good, but not great. It works pretty well for highlighting and navigating in Logos. It runs on a AAAA battery, so you need to keep those on hand. Also, you have to purchase it in addition to purchasing the tablet. I like using the handwriting option on the on-screen keyboard to enter text in search boxes, etc.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 3:59 PM

My verdict on this hardware

• It will soon be improved.
  • The screen is too dim.
  • There is some evidence that occasionally it runs "hot".
    I do not need another handwarmer - I own an original Surface Pro HOT SLAB already.

To date there is no Windows 8 inch machine that I think runs Logos 5 effectively with a readable font that is  "retina-like".
No wonder Logos hasnt invested a lot of time or energy into developing touch capability yet.

Lets see what September and November bring. Smile

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 4:38 PM

My Verdict on your Verdict: >>> The Bold text in your quote >>>

JoshInRI:

• It will soon be improved.  >>> All hardware will be antiquated soon.  
  • The screen is too dim. >>> You have been told that is not true. Have you actually tried the Venue?
  • There is some evidence that occasionally it runs "hot". Again, An Unfounded assertion. The coolest running machine I have encountered.
    I do not need another handwarmer - I own an original Surface Pro HOT SLAB already. Feel free to slam what you know about. Please try the Venue before bashing it.

To date there is no Windows 8 inch machine that I think runs Logos 5 effectively with a readable font that is  "retina-like".
No wonder Logos hasnt invested a lot of time or energy into developing touch capability yet. >>> There are many posts form Logos employees that state that they are, indeed, working on touch issues. You need to do research before posting.  I have previously defended your right to whine. But, Please whine factually. Stick out tongue

JoshInRI:
Open up 20 commentaries at once and leave it running for 30 minutes or more = instant radiation.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:44 PM

JoshInRI:

• It will soon be improved.
  • The screen is too dim.
  • There is some evidence that occasionally it runs "hot".
    I do not need another handwarmer - I own an original Surface Pro HOT SLAB already.

No wonder Logos hasnt invested a lot of time or energy into developing touch capability yet.

Lets see what September and November bring. Smile

Josh, you'll be chasing a dream trying to find an 8-inch Windows-based tablet with "retina-like" resolution. The only one is the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 8 (1920 x 1200). But that tablet is being pulled off the market in the U.S. It doesn't have a digitizer, which makes navigating in Logos very difficult unless you use a mouse.

At the price point for 8-inch Windows tablets, 1280 x 800 is the best you're going to get. I personally would like to see an OEM step up and offer a tablet in this size with premium components, like the Surface Pro tablets. 

Asus just released a new calibration driver for my VivoTab Note 8 and it has fixed the problem with the stylus not working well around the edges of the screen. This tablet is the best bet for your needs. 

As for the September - November time frame, we're all at the mercy of Intel releasing its Broadwell line of mobile processors to replace the current Haswell line. Intel is late bringing these to market.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 6:53 PM

JoshInRI:
Open up 20 commentaries at once and leave it running for 30 minutes or more = instant radiation.

Yes

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 7 2014 3:38 PM

I think this graphic of the overloaded "spiritually uplifted" horse  above is adorable and funny...thanks.

Ok. who owns the Dell Venue 8 Pro and uses it daily for Logos use?

What is the biggest pro and con for using this tablet?

Is the absence of a button for Windows on the front of the tablet or the missing pen such a big deal?

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:17 PM

Windows 8.1 has a Start/Windows "button" built into the taskbar. It could not be more convenient. It really makes a physical Windows button obsolete.

The newest bios and firmware updates have successfully addressed the sketchy pen functionality. I use a generic capacitive stylus ( $2 on eBay) It works just fine. The only con is the issue of highlighting. The oem stylus has a button. I suppose that could be used to facilitate highlighting. ... but it's $30 and it's just not that big of a deal to me. The touchmousepointer app solves that problem for now. (A bluetooth mouse is still another option.) I still expect Logos to make improvements in touch and pen capabilities that may be even more seamless solutions.

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 23 2014 7:31 AM

This could be a good time to check out a Venue 8 Pro in the Dell Outlet.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/dell_outlet_home_sale?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&dgc=EM&cid=282029&lid=5356351&acd=12309159430259878

There also seems to be a reference to 64 bit Windows. I know nothing about that, but the prices seem quite good.

Mine has been working fine, even better with Logos than with the current version of M'soft Word (Office), which seems included with most if not all of the units offered. The problem could be me since I don't understand the current version as well as the 2007 version which I use most of the time on other computers.

This "offer" just showed up, so the number available is likely to diminish quickly today.

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS