Surface Pro 3

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 8:54 PM

Bill Anderson:  "...and a new pen"

Unfortunately L5 won't accept handwriting input in Notes from Windows 8.1, see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/76689/536819.aspx#536819

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 9:06 PM

Genghis:

Bill Anderson:  "...and a new pen"

Unfortunately L5 won't accept handwriting input in Notes from Windows 8.1, see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/76689/536819.aspx#536819

Yes, and Logos is neither pen or touch optimized. The controls require a precise pointing instrument. We'll see how precise the SP3's N-Trig pen is for that.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 9:57 PM

At least We Can use the pen input here on the forums. Truthfully, I find  it is only practical for to do or grocery lists. I'm sure the technology will evolve.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 8 2014 5:11 PM

I went in to Best Buy today and they had the SP3 displayed. It is beautifully engineered and made. Top notch. The type cover and trackpad are better, the screen is beautiful and the pen works well for what I will be using it for. It runs a little warm in the lower right hand corner, but if you back the screen brightness down to 60-70%, it cools off. It's not hot by any stretch of the imagination, but I like my tablets cool.Big Smile They had the i5, 4GB RAM/128GB SSD and everything ran fast. I wish they offered an i5/8GB RAM/128GB SSD option, though.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 8 2014 5:31 PM

Thanks, Bill;

Are the holding fast to the MSRP?

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 8 2014 7:35 PM

Paul C:

Thanks, Bill;

Are the holding fast to the MSRP?

You know, since it isn't on sale yet, I didn't even look for the price. I was just there to check it out. In fact, I don't think I saw any prices out yet. 

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 7:50 AM

Paul C:

At least We Can use the pen input here on the forums. Truthfully, I find  it is only practical for to do or grocery lists. I'm sure the technology will evolve.

Then you have never tried it in OneNote, which I find much better than Logos notes.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 7:58 AM

Embarrassed You are correct. But now I will try it ... Thanks to your gentle and compassionate nudge. Big Smile

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:16 AM

Paul, I did not mean to sound like a smart mouth.  I just have been wowed by using my Surface Pro 2 to take notes by hand in OneNote with Logos, and then let OneNote convert the handwriting to text.  OneNote is my preferred way to take notes in Logos, by hand and cut and paste.

Another practical use is to let OneNote record a lecture/Bible Study while I am taking notes by hand, then when I go back and tap on a note, it will play what I was hearing when I wrote that note.  Doesn't apply to Logos, but is very, very practical.

This works well for me with my Surface Pro 2, and I bet it works at least as well on the Surface Pro 3.  But I will not be upgrading at this time.

I note there is a Surface Pro 3 for $1299 that is i5 processor, 8 GB Ram, and 256 SSD HD.  That is the same as the Surface Pro 2 was priced.  The main difference would be the new bigger screen (I think.).  If the Surface Pro 2 is discounted much I would consider getting my wife one.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:33 AM

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned earlier... I am evolving. I guess one note should be part of my evolution.

God Bless

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 2:44 PM

Peace, Paul!                     Perhaps your new avatar is part of your evolution???         *smile*

I don't really understand it; however, I find it "pleasant" AND "friendly"!!                Thank You!   Do you have a comment re. your avatar that you're willing to share?                     *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 3:24 PM

Peace Milford.

No special/hidden meaning. I just like critters. So glad to see you posting again.

God Bless

P.S. be aware that there are 2 Paul Cs on here. The other one uses a hyphen. (Paul-C)

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 5:12 AM

Hi Mr. Anderson (Bill). 

I enjoy reading your posts Kind Sir.

As for me and my house, we are not in Alaska and I am no longer interested in purchasing an updated Microsoft Handwarmer.

I want to sell my original one too...sigh.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 7:10 AM

Hi, Josh:

Your skepticism, and your mournful sighs are justified, ... to a degree. The first units had their flaws. It is well documented. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall the Guru from down under giving you fair warning when you were doing your original research. (about the overheating, and poor battery life) Now I ain't one to say I told you so. (Even in the cases when I did tell them so) But this is different.  >>>> He told you so.

Your experience has certainly reinforced my wait and see attitude. But I have other issues with the platform. For Me, A tablet is a handheld device. ( I prefer an 8 inch to carry around. It fits in my bib overall or cargo pockets.) While I know the large display would be a dream, It appears too big to fit that bill. They have carved away every possible gram of weight and Millimeter of thickness. I am awed by the technology. That slim profile may have a drawback in laptop mode. It may not be as stable as the real thing. So again, This is very much a spectator sport for me. I too appreciate Bill sharing his research with us.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 10 2014 1:11 PM

JoshInRI:

Hi Mr. Anderson (Bill). 

I enjoy reading your posts Kind Sir.

As for me and my house, we are not in Alaska and I am no longer interested in purchasing an updated Microsoft Handwarmer.

I want to sell my original one too...sigh.

The SP1 as a first-generation device had its flaws, heat being one of them. The Haswell chips in the SP2 have reduced the heat considerably and my current Atom-based Asus VivoTab Note 8 is absolutely cold to the touch.

There probably still is a market for selling used SP1s on eBay, Craigslist or maybe even Swappa.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 11:55 AM

I had a Surface Pro 2; bit the bullet and sprang for a Pro 3. The reviews addressed shortcomings I had noticed: screen ratio, touch pad, weight (and weight-distribution) and to some extent, kickstand. I have the 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD model (same specs as my SP2). And as you might guess, I have a very kind and somewhat indulgent spouse.

Logos runs fast on both machines. Mind you, I've only had the new machine a day, but as far a usability, the SP3 paired with Logos5 is responsive and the extra real estate on the screen is nice. 

I actually keep my notes in MS Word, from long force of habit.

BTW, anyone interested in a slightly used Surface Pro 2?   ;)

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 5:30 PM

Steve Johnson:
BTW, anyone interested in a slightly used Surface Pro 2?   ;)
 Yes. Yes, I am.  Shoot me an email at mullima AT gmail DOT com, sir and we'll discuss it.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 7:42 PM

Steve,

Hope you really enjoy your Surface Pro 3!  I will stick with my Surface Pro 2 for at least another year or so.  Probably upgrade to a Surface Pro 4 or 5 one day.  I know the SP 3 is great with the extra screen space, but there is no way I can upgrade every year. And I still am in love with my Surface Pro 2, so I will stick with it for a while.

That is the doggone trouble with computers.  There is always something better round the corner.  But I have found my niche with the Surface Pro 2 for now, and will upgrade again one of these years.  One of these years when it has been long enough not to endanger my life when my wife found out.

Posts 2881
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 9:41 PM

[quote user="Michael Childs"]

Steve,

Hope you really enjoy your Surface Pro 3!  I will stick with my Surface Pro 2 for at least another year or so.  Probably upgrade to a Surface Pro 4 or 5 one day.  I know the SP 3 is great with the extra screen space, but there is no way I can upgrade every year. And I still am in love with my Surface Pro 2, so I will stick with it for a while.

That is the doggone trouble with computers.  There is always something better round the corner.  But I have found my niche with the Surface Pro 2 for now, and will upgrade again one of these years.  One of these years when it has been long enough not to endanger my life when my wife found out.

[/quote]

Hi Michael! Well said, I like your comments.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 28 2014 12:11 PM

Paul C:

Congrats. I'll be impatiently awaiting your review.

It arrived today, the only slight problem being that it is taking a while downloading 32gb of resources and then it is the joys of indexing, but looks good so far.

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS