Re: BUG: Now I'm getting no e-mails for many forum posts

Page 3 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:35 PM

Toby,

With email not working I tried to review posts I made to check responses by looking at my forum activity. However my activity is not appearing when I click the link. I checked some other users. Graham Kiddle has his activity listed. Dave Hooten does not. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing? 

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:28 PM

My apologies for the delayed resolution.

I rewrote the entire email sending code, which I'd been wanting to do anyway... just not in an evening and with things on fire.

I archived the 5000 queued emails from the 9/15 10am PST to 9/17 2PM PST; but am sending the ~1200 emails from 9/17 2PM- most-current.

Please let me know if there are any inconsistencies in formatting, or anything different than when email notifications were working before.

I'm sure there will be kinks, but at least it's shipped!

EDIT: HTML characters in the subject should now display properly (11:30pm PST)

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:41 PM

I'm not sure why emails stopped working, but it did coincide with my deployment on Monday morning (Avatars and error handling/logging). However, reverting to old code didn't make emails send again.

We bought the Forums SDK back in 2008 but were not given the source code for emailing, which made debugging emailing virtually impossible.

My email sender may not be ideally written, but at least queued emails should be being sent.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 3:42 AM

Thank you Joel for the nice job under duress to get this working again!

I only see two problems so far:

1, Quotes in email titles come out wrong - they show as 

Re: BUG: Now I&#39;m getting no e-mails for many forum posts

with the &#<nr> designation for the quotes. There may be other non alpha no numeric characters this happens for.

2. The title of the sender is now forums@logos.com, as is the email address. In gmail it shows just as "forums". Previously, it was the same sending email address of course but the sender was Logos Bible Software - Automated Email - which showed just as "Logos Bible Software", a friendlier name. It's much easier to detect these emails in my Inbox if they are from something other than just "forums@logos.com", kind of an unfriendly name like "forums". I would prefer Logos Bible Software Forums myself.

Thanks!

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 9:35 AM

Don Awalt:

with the &#<nr> designation for the quotes. There may be other non alpha no numeric characters this happens for.

I'm still working on this.

Don Awalt:

2. The title of the sender is now forums@logos.com, as is the email address. In gmail it shows just as "forums". Previously, it was the same sending email address of course but the sender was Logos Bible Software - Automated Email - which showed just as "Logos Bible Software", a friendlier name. It's much easier to detect these emails in my Inbox if they are from something other than just "forums@logos.com", kind of an unfriendly name like "forums". I would prefer Logos Bible Software Forums myself.

I had the data, just forgot to add it to the outgoing email; should be fixed now.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 10:28 AM

Don Awalt:

This should now be fixed.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:25 PM

Thanks Jason, for the updates!

I have seen one more problem - now I am back to getting 2 emails per post - not all the time, some of the time. Better than 0 emails of course <g> but it would be nice to squash this bug...

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 7:22 AM

Joel Garboden (Faithlife):
I rewrote the entire email sending code, which I'd been wanting to do anyway... just not in an evening and with things on fire.

Big SmileTongue TiedStar

I am extremely grateful that someone has finally started doing something about the forum software. It has a large, and constantly increasing, number of very annoying and time-consuming bugs, most of which I have given up wasting time on even reporting, since no one ever did anything about them anyway. Given how much money we here must save Logos in CS costs -- several full time salaries, I would imagine -- one would think that your boss could at least give us a functional forum to work with... 

I'm sure there will be kinks

There areSmile:

1) I get e-mails that are time-stamped 13-14 hours before they actually turn up. 

2) I get e-mails that are time-stamped incorrectly:

(Clearly, the question must have been posted before the replies. And the other posts weren't all written in that order either.)

3) I think there are still e-mails missing, though I'm still behind after 3 weeks abroad, and with the additional confusion of some e-mails arriving a day too late, I'm not yet absolutely sure.

It is very hard to follow threads when posts are missing, turn up a day later, or are listed in a completely random order compared to that in which they were written.Wink

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 7:23 AM

Please let me know if there are any inconsistencies in formatting

(that's supposed to be a Big Smile)

(No one else could report these in the four or more weeks since I last posted??)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 4:18 AM

And there's a new set of serious e-mail problems, see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92332/641094.aspx#641094 and following.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:09 AM

fgh:
3) I think there are still e-mails missing, though I'm still behind after 3 weeks abroad, and with the additional confusion of some e-mails arriving a day too late, I'm not yet absolutely sure.

I am now. I never got https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92249/640590.aspx#640590. And I haven't gotten any of my own posts today. 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:32 AM

fgh:

I am now. I never got https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92249/640590.aspx#640590. And I haven't gotten any of my own posts today. 

You won't get notifications for your own posts with the new system.

Thanks for the reports, I'm looking into them.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 10:00 AM

You won't get notifications for your own posts with the new system.

But I MUST have notifications of my own posts!!! They are absolutely crucial to me! That's how I keep at least some kind of track of all my bug reports, suggestions, and so on. Taking those away from me is like cutting off both my legs and still expecting me to walk!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 1:06 PM

fgh:

But I MUST have notifications of my own posts!!! They are absolutely crucial to me! That's how I keep at least some kind of track of all my bug reports, suggestions, and so on. Taking those away from me is like cutting off both my legs and still expecting me to walk!

I removed the exclusion, you should now get notified of your own posts.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 12:20 PM

I have a long post written for you, Joel, but it refuses to post. Is there something wrong with the servers or something?

EDIT: Well, at least this posted as it should.

EDIT 2: Checking if screenshots will post:

EDIT 3: It did. What on earth is then wrong? I've already tried cutting the post in half, and it still wouldn't post.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 1:17 PM

What thread are you trying to post to? I see a number of errors, but not sure which correlates to your issue.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 1:20 PM

This one!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 4:01 PM

Still unable to post what I wrote. Clicking Post from Preview gives me

Clicking it from Compose, just reloads the Compose page.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 4:40 PM

The error I'm seeing says it's error-ing because you don't have permission, trying to increase its helpfulness for the future.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 5:19 PM

Permission to do what??

I'll try to divide it into even more parts, and see if that helps.

EDIT: It didn't. Not even a small part with all formatting removed. How weird when I can post everything else!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 3 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS