Seeking Books that refute bart d ehrman

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 23 2014 6:08 AM

Hello everyone,

I am interested in any LOGOS protestant inexpensive, easy to read, easily shared at Bible Study, Biblically focused books that refute bart d ehrman. 

Please note I am not initiating a debate...just asking for some Logos links to materials found here that are not exhorbitant in cost that can be shared in a church bible study attended by different ages and levels of understanding of The Bible.

I will accept extra-Logos book title names but lets be kind and NOT link to them from within Logos or this post please.

Thanks.

Joshua

Posts 5193
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 6:40 AM

Before Logos adds anti-Ehrman books to its stable, they need to resolve the problem of not offering an Ehrman Collection. There is a cottage industry of anti-Ehrman books out there from which to choose, but without having the documents themselves to compare with (Bart's books), I don't see the point.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3763
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 6:51 AM

Not a book, but on topic is this debate: 

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/p96.htm 

Sorry for the link, but that is the format in which it comes.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 7:15 AM

Yes, JoshRI ... you're instituting a debate.

And even worse, there was already a thread suggesting two well-grounded resources on Ehrman. Not a month ago?  Trying searching 'Ehrman'.

Why not skip the 'in-debate-denial' and get down to business?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 10:55 AM

I found one...yay.

https://www.logos.com/product/36453/fabricating-jesus-how-modern-scholars-distort-the-gospels

I wish they had put in one more page of preview....shucks

https://www.logos.com/images/PageScans/17716pages/001/17716_001_07.jpg

Anyone got others?

Posts 11639
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 11:30 AM

JoshInRI:

three mention him with name, see https://vyrso.com/products/search?q=bart+ehrman 

and I think it's difficult to give advice regarding the setting you described in the first post. Bart Ehrman is a scholar who seems to adress various (related) questions and thereby makes use of a number of arguments, many of which will have been adressed / refuted by christian apologists. His various books have sparked respective counter-books by reputed NT scholars.

However, I personally wouldn't see "refuting Ehrman" as a good topic for a church setting. I'd go for one of the many topics at a time (and expect you'll find lots of resources in Logos and even Vyrso) such as

• Can we trust the NT, especially: Is the Greek NT reliably transmitted?
  • What about the non-biblical documents - why aren't they Scripture and what can we learn from them (or not)
  • What about this "historical Jesus" - is he God?

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 12:27 PM

NB.Mick:
However, I personally wouldn't see "refuting Ehrman" as a good topic for a church setting. 
Yes

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 12:29 PM

David Paul:
Before Logos adds anti-Ehrman books to its stable, they need to resolve the problem of not offering an Ehrman Collection.
YesYesYes

Posts 31872
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:32 PM

If you are genuinely interested in the topic, go to the largest nearby library with a large collection of academic journals - look for reviews and replies related to Bart Ehrman. BTW I assume that you mean refuting particular arguments of Ehrman; some of his work is solid and you'd look the fool trying to refute it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:47 PM

JoshInRI:
I am interested in any LOGOS protestant inexpensive, easy to read, easily shared at Bible Study, Biblically focused books that refute bart d ehrman. 

You might try this one. It refutes him easily and lends itself well to church group studies. Big Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 4:52 PM

Plus it's been approved for publication by King James.   I don't think a single Ehrman volume has yet been approved by King James.  And for good reason.

Posts 5193
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 4:55 PM

Denise:

Plus it's been approved for publication by King James.   I don't think a single Ehrman volume has yet been approved by King James.  And for good reason.

BeerBig Smile

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 5:20 PM

"Refute" was a bad choice of words if you don't want to start a debate, since it begs the question by assuming refutation is possible and available. Perhaps you're looking for books that "interact with" Ehrman from a conservative perspective?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:03 AM

Mitchell:

"Refute" was a bad choice of words if you don't want to start a debate, since it begs the question by assuming refutation is possible and available. Perhaps you're looking for books that "interact with" Ehrman from a conservative perspective?

A very good way to articulate it.  Agree or disagree, Ehrman knows his stuff!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 6:33 AM

As the guys like to say 'Iron sharpens iron' as long as it's not too sharp.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 6:50 AM

Denise:

As the guys like to say 'Iron sharpens iron' as long as it's not too sharp.

Got a band-aid?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 8:12 AM

tom:
Ehrman knows his stuff!

And God knows God's stuff.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 9:06 AM

There is a lot of hair splitting for what was a very clear and simple request.

If the OP has asked for a work that refutes Arian, Celsus, the Mormons, or the Jehovah Witnesses, there would have been little debate about the appropriateness (or lack there of) of  “refutes” versus “interacts” or the need to differentiate between “Arian” and “particular arguments of Arian”, or even wonder if the OP is genuinely interested in the subject matter. No one would have argued that without the primary sources about these unorthodox figures or organizations, there is no point having books in Logos that refute them as if Logos is the only place where these works are available and one cannot choose to borrow books instead of buying those that one deems doctrinally unsound (thus not supporting the “offender” financially).

It is not as if the OP has called Ehrman heretic and apostate (although there is an argument to be made about that in the context of historical Christianity). He just want books that do not merely interact with his controversial ideas but specifically refute them (let the OP be the judge if the refutation is successful or not). This is a legitimate request that should not lead to theological debates but only to suggestions for those who know about such resources.

If unlike the OP, you believe that Erhman is the best thing since sliced bread, please feel free to create another thread and request his resources and those of like minded authors as they refute traditional Christian doctrines and views of Scripture.

As a response to the OP, I suggest

How God Became Jesus: The Real Origins of Belief in Jesus' Divine Nature---A Response to Bart Ehrman

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 9:17 AM

Alain, you must be a bit on the naive side.  

You missed David's point that Logos is afraid to add Ehrman books due to the iron-sharpeners whose swords aren't quite up to Ehrman's level.  The 'situation' is not unlike your example of Arian, Celcus, the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.  In their time, the iron-sharpeners were death on them too.

Now for a great resource on iron: https://www.logos.com/product/9396/midian-moab-and-edom-the-history-and-archaeology-of-late-bronze-and-iron-age-jordan-and-north-west-arabia 

Any geologists and especially pottery afficiendados will enjoy this resource. Metalurgy was in its infancy, trying to create an edge on swords.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 9:26 AM

Denise:
Any geologists and especially pottery afficiendados will enjoy this resource. Metalurgy was in its infancy, trying to create an edge on swords.

I thought they did that in Westfall.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS